After sticking with Blackberry for 20 years (starting with original RIM 957 (sans phone), through Pearl, Curve, Bold 9900, DTEK50, Key2), I've made a decision to shut down the Key 2 and have transferred all contents to a newly purchased Google Pixel 3a phone. The 3a is almost exactly the same size/form factor as the Key2, and, unlike the Pixel 3 and 4's allow me to hang on to most of my USB-C type chargers, cables, earphones, etc). I will probably keep the Key2 as a backup for a few more months until I feel totally comfortable with the shift and; of course, BB making the move to Android a few years back has made the transition very largely a seamless and easy change for me.
    It's been about 2 weeks and I find Pixel ease of use and speed (the 3a is a mid-range phone, as opposed to the older 3 and the just introduced 4's) about comparable to the Key 2. There is a night and day difference in camera photo image quality, though --- frankly I never cared much about phone cameras since I tended to use a small Canon camera ---- recently, though, I've been finding my Key2 photos looking nothing like ones taken by my wife and daughters', they all use iPhones) --- the ones from the 3a are distinctly better still. Of course, there is Android 10 right off the bat; and while this is technically not the case for the 3a, Google offers unlimited "original" quality storage till 2022 for the 3 and 4's (only "high" quality for the 3a) which makes living with a fixed 64GB non expandable memory a much more palatable constraint.
    I guess the only things I really miss are (a) speed dialing from the keyboard, (b) not having notification light, and (b) Key2's battery life, unscientifically, seemed about 20% better, compared with the 3a. I was definitely more accurate with the Key2 physical keyboard and getting used to virtual KB will take a bit more time, but I don't find I miss the PKB as much as I thought I would. Touch finger security on the Pixel is much much more reliable than I found on the Key 2 (more hit or miss with the space bar unlock).
    I'm happy with the transition so far, although, will probably hang on to the K2 a few more months and make a final decision.
    The catalyst for the shift: when I shattered the display screen a couple of months ago, it was very difficult to find a place that would fix/replace and in the end had to pay a nearly 2x premium (vs conventional Apple or Android fix prices); combined with an increasingly uncomfortable feeling that the K2 will be the last of its breed and total silence from Blackberry and TCL; contrast that with what looks a like what is a zero-pain transition right now and a much more wide open road map at Google led me to this sad (but hopefully, ultimately happy) decision.
    Tsepz_GP and nkitt like this.
    11-11-19 09:24 AM
    After sticking with Blackberry for 20 years (starting with original RIM 957 (sans phone), through Pearl, Curve, Bold 9900, DTEK50, Key2), I've made a decision to shut down the Key 2 and have transferred all contents to a newly purchased Google Pixel 3a phone. The 3a is almost exactly the same size/form factor as the Key2, and, unlike the Pixel 3 and 4's allow me to hang on to most of my USB-C type chargers, cables, earphones, etc). I will probably keep the Key2 as a backup for a few more months until I feel totally comfortable with the shift and; of course, BB making the move to Android a few years back has made the transition very largely a seamless and easy change for me.
    It's been about 2 weeks and I find Pixel ease of use and speed (the 3a is a mid-range phone, as opposed to the older 3 and the just introduced 4's) about comparable to the Key 2. There is a night and day difference in camera photo image quality, though --- frankly I never cared much about phone cameras since I tended to use a small Canon camera ---- recently, though, I've been finding my Key2 photos looking nothing like ones taken by my wife and daughters', they all use iPhones) --- the ones from the 3a are distinctly better still. Of course, there is Android 10 right off the bat; and while this is technically not the case for the 3a, Google offers unlimited "original" quality storage till 2022 for the 3 and 4's (only "high" quality for the 3a) which makes living with a fixed 64GB non expandable memory a much more palatable constraint.
    I guess the only things I really miss are (a) speed dialing from the keyboard, (b) not having notification light, and (b) Key2's battery life, unscientifically, seemed about 20% better, compared with the 3a. I was definitely more accurate with the Key2 physical keyboard and getting used to virtual KB will take a bit more time, but I don't find I miss the PKB as much as I thought I would. Touch finger security on the Pixel is much much more reliable than I found on the Key 2 (more hit or miss with the space bar unlock).
    I'm happy with the transition so far, although, will probably hang on to the K2 a few more months and make a final decision.
    The catalyst for the shift: when I shattered the display screen a couple of months ago, it was very difficult to find a place that would fix/replace and in the end had to pay a nearly 2x premium (vs conventional Apple or Android fix prices); combined with an increasingly uncomfortable feeling that the K2 will be the last of its breed and total silence from Blackberry and TCL; contrast that with what looks a like what is a zero-pain transition right now and a much more wide open road map at Google led me to this sad (but hopefully, ultimately happy) decision.
    Sorry to hear you are abandoning your KEY2. There have been a number KEY2 members here that have moved on to Apple, Samsung, and Google devices. It's unfortunate but certainly a understandable.

Like you, I have been with BlackBerry since 2005 and was hopeful of continuing. However my frustration withthe KEY2 and the uncertainty of when or if there will be a KEY3 has me considering my options when it's time to upgrade my device.

For now I will plod along with my KEY2 as it suits my current requirements despite the issues I experience. I'm making the best of a bad situation but for how much longer is the question.

I think we will know the future of TCL/BlackBerry Mobile come February at the 2020 MWC... if not sooner.

Bob
    11-11-19 09:36 AM
    /general-blackberry-news-discussion-rumors-f2/switching-blackberry-another-device-say-your-goodbyes-here-please-dont-start-new-thread-260887/
    11-11-19 09:59 AM
    my apologies and thanks; did not know that thread existed.
    11-11-19 10:10 AM
    Nobody cares.
    andy957 likes this.
    11-11-19 03:47 PM
    I bought my KEY2 yesterday - had not seen this post. My PRIV was so good until the screen died last week and my wife still lives on her Q5. The security is so far advanced over the others, it makes no sense to leave Blackberry, at least for us in the military business and not social networking.
    11-12-19 03:26 PM
    So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, adieu
    Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu
    andy957 likes this.
    11-12-19 04:41 PM
    Yes, I bit the bullit too. It pains me to say it but after many months of painfully deliberating whether to wait for the Key 3 or move on. I have decided to move on to Samsung S10 Plus. The chief reason is the lack of support for all hardware devices by Blackberry itself. I had high hopes when mr. Chen joined the company but I admit I was wrong. He wasn't the visionary I thought he was. Crackberry's forum is the best forum in the world, thank you all and vielleicht bis spaeter.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and John Albert like this.
    11-20-19 10:15 AM
    Yes, I bit the bullit too. It pains me to say it but after many months of painfully deliberating whether to wait for the Key 3 or move on. I have decided to move on to Samsung S10 Plus. The chief reason is the lack of support for all hardware devices by Blackberry itself. I had high hopes when mr. Chen joined the company but I admit I was wrong. He wasn't the visionary I thought he was. Crackberry's forum is the best forum in the world, thank you all and vielleicht bis spaeter.

Posted via CB10
    Are you keeping your KEY2 as a backup device?
    11-20-19 10:19 AM
    My deadline is MWC. If no update, I'm following suit!
    Bob80220 likes this.
    11-20-19 10:31 AM
    My deadline is MWC. If no update, I'm following suit!
    My deadline is when someone else makes a PKB lol

Waiting...
    11-20-19 10:44 AM
    I was definitely more accurate with the Key2 physical keyboard and getting used to virtual KB will take a bit more time, but I don't find I miss the PKB as much as I thought I would.
    My advice is to skip the tap typing on the VKB and force yourself to learn how to swipe type. In the end, it's a faster and more reliable way to type on glass.
    11-20-19 11:53 AM
    Congratulations on your Pixel 3a enjoy it!
    11-20-19 03:05 PM
    Even I am frustrated to the edge now with my KEY2, apps have started crashing and that's the most annoying reason. Waiting for Microsoft duo and I'll say my goodbyes after 10 years of clicking the keys
    11-24-19 09:10 AM
    Even I am frustrated to the edge now with my KEY2, apps have started crashing and that's the most annoying reason. Waiting for Microsoft duo and I'll say my goodbyes after 10 years of clicking the keys
    With 6GB of RAM and plenty of storage, why are your apps crashing? Doesn’t sound close to normal behavior for a phone with these more than decent specs.
    11-24-19 09:24 AM
    maybe that's because here in India the last update of any kind was in December '18. And it's not just small time app developers apps started with Microsoft one drive then was Google maps and then Facebook and all the apps are up to date. And also I have faced issue of optimization with payment apps. it's getting very frustrating, turning from a productive device to nostalgic device.
    11-24-19 09:30 AM
    blackberry could have been sold license to some good company not to TCL. These companies just don't know any thing about the legacy and way long blackberry journey. simply waste.
    11-24-19 09:42 AM
    maybe that's because here in India the last update of any kind was in December '18. And it's not just small time app developers apps started with Microsoft one drive then was Google maps and then Facebook and all the apps are up to date. And also I have faced issue of optimization with payment apps. it's getting very frustrating, turning from a productive device to nostalgic device.
    Do a factory reset or run the April autoloader.

/blackberry-key2-f472/autoloader-april-patch-abt974-all-variants-1168870/
    nkitt likes this.
    11-24-19 09:46 AM
    blackberry could have been sold license to some good company not to TCL. These companies just don't know any thing about the legacy and way long blackberry journey. simply waste.
    TCL was the only taker. Besides, they are the 4th biggest Android OEM in North America - after Samsung, LG, and Lenovo.
    11-24-19 09:49 AM
    Do a factory reset or run the April autoloader.
    The thing is, I have been planning to do one of the two, but I have no time at all. Will try to factory reset in January. In college used to enjoy loading OS on BB10 and now out of college can't even do a reset. life....
    11-24-19 09:51 AM
    The thing is, I have been planning to do one of the two, but I have no time at all. Will try to factory reset in January. In college used to enjoy loading OS on BB10 and now out of college can't even do a reset. life....
    Lol. I hear you.

Just make sure you try it before giving up the KEY². Devices can just get borked sometimes, and this is the cure.
    nkitt likes this.
    11-24-19 09:53 AM
    of course, will do. being a BlackBerry user for a decade has taught me to always 'switch off and switch on' and if nothing works a reset. planning to replace it with Microsoft duo, so will be holding on to it for a while ( still hoping for updates, fool's hope I know). but will eventually have to let it go. I can't keep restarting all the time. :I
    11-24-19 10:00 AM
    As conite suggests and comments, Android things happen. This is Android/iOS problem too as I use both and can have problems lately with XR and we’re getting OS updates lately for glitch issues.

My KEYone 4/64 is running solid without recent updates. Good luck with busy life...
    11-24-19 10:06 AM