First, to those who says the new Atomic Red KEY2 Is too expensive, I say Poppycock! It is iconic and cool, with more than good enough specs for the traditional BlackBerry "communicator":

128 GB RAM
    Solid Midrange SoC
    Dual Sim
    Great Battery Life
    6GB RAM
    BlackBerry's best PKB ever for Android

But the main reason it's a great value is obviously not the technical specifications. The KEY2 is simply badass. It's the most distinctive phone on earth, and for some of us, its the only Android phone worth a premium price.

BUT, there's one big problem. Unless it's going to receive both Android P and Q upgrades, its usable lifespan maybe limited to little more than two years. That's a huge problem for a premium phone and the only reason I would hesitate to get one if I wanted to buy a phone costing more than $400 (which I refuse to do in any case).

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-26-19 03:40 PM
    To be honest, I haven't expected more than one major software update when I bought my silver K2. I know this is the strategy BBMo took and I somehow accepted it by buying it. Could be better but it's not that worth for me.

I simply got sick of K1 manufacturing issues and K2 was the only way to go. So I am OK as it is getting Android P, getting a issue-free PKB phone was much more important for me at that time.

It won't be that great anyway as K2 doesn't have on screen nav buttons, while potential gestures are probably the most appealing reason why would CB guys want to get it.
    02-26-19 03:48 PM
    First, to those who says the new Atomic Red KEY2 Is too expensive, I say Poppycock! It is iconic and cool, with more than good enough specs for the traditional BlackBerry "communicator":

128 GB RAM
    Solid Midrange SoC
    Dual Sim
    Great Battery Life
    6GB RAM

But the main reason it's a great value is obviously not the technical specifications. The KEY2 is simply badass. It's the most distinctive phone on earth, and for some of us, its the only Android phone worth a premium price.

BUT, there's one big problem. Unless it's going to receive both Android P and Q upgrades, its usable lifespan maybe limited to little more than two years. That's a huge problem for a premium phone and the only reason I would hesitate to get one if I wanted to buy a phone costing more than $400 (which I refuse to do in any case).

Last year they said the KEY2 would get Android Q...

If BBMo is succeeding... and still making phones by the summer of 2020, KEY2 owners should see Android Q. I expect Android P will come this summer, about the same time that Oreo hit the KEYone and Motion last year (that crap about 8.0 to 8.1 was smoke screen).

That said... I own a couple of PlayBooks that aren't running BB10, so just because some "guy" with the company says something, doesn't mean the company make good on it (even if he is the CEO). And it's hard to find the KEY2 official update cycle anywhere.

My view on the RED... is if the didn't bother to do the KEYS, just stick a red case on it.
    02-26-19 03:55 PM
    To be honest, I haven't expected more than one major software update when I bought my silver K2.
    So did I, but every day I lose hope that they will ever live up to their promise of giving us P.
    02-26-19 04:15 PM

If BBMo is succeeding... and still making phones by the summer of 2020, KEY2 owners should see Android Q. I expect Android P will come this summer, about the same time that Oreo hit the KEYone and Motion last year (that crap about 8.0 to 8.1 was smoke screen).

That said... I own a couple of PlayBooks that aren't running BB10, so just because some "guy" with the company says something, doesn't mean the company make good on it (even if he is the CEO). And it's hard to find the KEY2 official update cycle anywhere.

My view on the RED... is if the didn't bother to do the KEYS, just stick a red case on it.
    Didn't they only commit to android P?
    02-26-19 04:23 PM
    Main issue is that, even if the K2 gets P or beyond, then those [already ugly] navigation buttons become obsolete - assuming that the appropriate gestures come with P or beyond.

Like the OP, I'm still on a Z10. If push comes to shove, will probably go with one of the premium K1 models then hold out for what will hopefully be a proper K<n> with gestures and no navigation buttons.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-19 04:26 PM
    Didn't they only commit to android P?
    Yes. So far, only Essential has committed to Q (except for Google themselves, of course). BlackBerry has only promised P, or, you know, "promised".
    BBHermes and elfabio80 like this.
    02-26-19 04:30 PM
    Main issue is that, even if the K2 gets P or beyond, then those [already ugly] navigation buttons become obsolete - assuming that the appropriate gestures come with P or beyond.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, Nokia has proven that. They also released P with gestures to some of their devices with physical nav buttons.
    02-26-19 04:32 PM

I hadn't heard that. That would mean the KEY2 is getting 2 full version (letter) upgrades? Assuming BlackBerry Mobile stays the course, that's great. I'm that case, I think the new red KEY2 is a fantastic value, with the caveat that the updates are never guaranteed.

02-26-19 04:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is so true.

Still... I'm loving the look of the KEY2 Red Edition and am jonesing to get one (preferably at a sale price!).

I'm more impressed with how stoked @bb10adopter111 is for this device. Are you ready to come to the dark side??? LOL
    02-26-19 04:47 PM
    The Big Problem for me is that it isn't available for Big Red (Verizon)!

Posted via CB10
    BrettB4 likes this.
    02-26-19 04:51 PM
    This is so true.

Still... I'm loving the look of the KEY2 Red Edition and am jonesing to get one (preferably at a sale price!).

I'm more impressed with how stoked @bb10adopter111 is for this device. Are you ready to come to the dark side??? LOL
    I've had a KEYone for 18 months. It's what I use for Android apps, but it's disappointed me as a daily driver. Not the phone's fault. I just don't like the writing and calling experience in Android for a number of reasons.

The red KEY2 is the only Android phone for which I'd even consider paying a premium, but I see no reason to replace my KEYone before early 2021.

02-26-19 04:59 PM
    I've had a KEYone for 18 months. It's what I use for Android apps, but it's disappointed me as a daily driver. Not the phone's fault. I just don't like the writing and calling experience in Android for a number of reasons.

The red KEY2 is the only Android phone for which I'd even consider paying a premium, but I see no reason to replace my KEYone before early 2021.

By 2021, you're probably gonna want a KEY3/LE
    02-26-19 05:26 PM
    By 2021, you're probably gonna want a KEY3/LE
    By 2021 I hope I'll be using an always connected 5G laptop with call control and a Bluetooth headset for 90% of my mobile needs, with an old but secure mobile phone as a backup.

02-26-19 05:35 PM
    If it had 128 GB of RAM if totally buy it
    02-26-19 05:56 PM
    By 2021 I hope I'll be using an always connected 5G laptop with call control and a Bluetooth headset for 90% of my mobile needs, with an old but secure mobile phone as a backup.
    Keeping ears peeled for news on Windows Andromeda and Centaurus projects, in the hope that there might eventually be some way to avoid Android altogether. After watching the recent saga of Google breaking sms on the Hub, am less enthusiastic than ever about having to make the switch..

Posted via CB10
    02-26-19 06:01 PM

128 GB RAM
    Solid Midrange SoC
    Dual Sim
    Great Battery Life
    6GB RAM

All this for the same phone in a different colour? LOL.
    02-26-19 06:18 PM
    Exactly. Once the phone meets one's requirements (which can easily be done for me for less than $400), the only reason to spend more money for a premium phone is emotional attachment, and I find the red KEY2 to be the sexiest phone made by a huge margin. It's the only phone I'd pay a penny for to upgrade from my completely satisfactory KEYone before 2021.

That said, I'm not buying it or any other phone for another two years.
    02-26-19 06:28 PM
    Exactly. Once the phone meets one's requirements (which can easily be done for me for less than $400), the only reason to spend more money for a premium phone is emotional attachment, and I find the red KEY2 to be the sexiest phone made by a huge margin. It's the only phone I'd pay a penny for to upgrade from my completely satisfactory KEYone before 2021.

That said, I'm not buying it or any other phone for another two years.
    If that's all it takes, there's a red iPhone with your name on it. LMAO
    02-26-19 06:39 PM
    For someone who claims to be able to see the difference between daylight static photos taken with different phone cameras, it's odd that you can't see the difference between a red iPhone and the red KEY2. One is boring and generic and the other is unique. If you don't like it, that's reasonable, but if you can't tell that it looks more interesting than practically anything else from a design standpoint, I'm sorry.
    02-26-19 06:43 PM
    For someone who claims to be able to see the difference between daylight static photos taken with different phone cameras, it's odd that you can't see the difference between a red iPhone and the red KEY2. One is boring and generic and the other is unique. If you don't like it, that's reasonable, but if you can't tell that it looks more interesting than practically anything else from a design standpoint, I'm sorry.
    All I'm saying is if all it takes for you is a colour...have at it. I'm just sitting back having a good laugh.
    02-26-19 07:02 PM
    You seem to do a lot of laughing, but no one is trying to make you buy this phone. I'm not sure why you have such an axe to grind.

There are others who will gladly pay for it, and the price will drop if they can't clear the limited stock.
    deezy87 likes this.
    02-26-19 07:06 PM
    You seem to do a lot of laughing, but no one is trying to make you buy this phone. I'm not sure why you have such an axe to grind.

There are others who will gladly pay for it, and the price will drop if they can't clear the limited stock.
    You're right, I won't be buying it. And neither will OP, which is probably why I am finding his post exceedingly bizarre. So be it. I guess it's OK to gush about paint colour when you've already committed to not buying a new phone for two years and it has the same specs as a phone released 8 months prior? Who am I to judge?
    02-26-19 07:28 PM
    When my AT&T KEYone is done at end of the year, I hope AT&T has something new BBMo for me. If not, I’ll buy Key2, preferably the Red as well. For the added storage, and the color, I’m ok with the price.
    02-26-19 07:34 PM
    You're right, I won't be buying it. And neither will OP, which is probably why I am finding his post exceedingly bizarre. So be it. I guess it's OK to gush about paint colour when you've already committed to not buying a new phone for two years and it has the same specs as a phone released 8 months prior? Who am I to judge?
    Yes, I think the Red KEY2 Is the ONLY sexy phone on the market, and yet I won't buy it because I already have a phone and won't need another for two years. I find nothing contradictory about those two statements. Not sure why you find that so bizarre.

02-26-19 08:22 PM
56 123