10-29-19 05:42 AM
    It requires an unlocked boatloader. So that's the end of that.
    10-29-19 07:25 AM
    Plus, it helps if the OEM actually supports Project Treble and has it enabled in the OS. BlackBerry/TCL has not. Neither has Samsung, BTW.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-29-19 09:49 AM
    Dear BBmo,

if you don't care about key2's owner, as least unlock bootloader for the ours devices...
    10-29-19 10:23 AM
    Dear BBmo,

if you don't care about key2's owner, as least unlock bootloader for the ours devices...
    Write up a business case for TCL, highlighting the estimated ROI.
    BigAl_BB9900, bibbula and hamilgs like this.
    10-29-19 10:36 AM
    Dear BBmo,

It will get filed with the request that PlayBook and even some BB10 owners sent in (to BlackBerry) as well.
    10-29-19 11:20 AM
    For one environmental considerations. What do ya think? $100 a pop/ plus shipping and handling to unlock the loader and put a permanent screen message "This is an unsecured BlackBerry device" at the top of the screen during use and during boot with a forced acknowledge during every boot or turn-on....probably a BlackBerry direct rather than TCL revenue stream. Then maybe another 100$ plus shipping and handling to relock the bootloader for those wanting to go the opposite direction, should they sell or change their minds and think - why did I ever think unlocking was a good idea?
    Maybe even wiped de-bricking old BB's (25$ +sh/handling)?
    Seeing the NETFLIX is just starting to be taking the hit for its environmental footprint (i suspect traditional cable strikes-back! Episode 2), has a point. I'm no fan of cable...mostly for the junk we have to pay for if we want it, but they have a point here. The eyes may start to focus on junked smartphone devices too.

https://news.yahoo.com/your-netflix-...202647175.html
    10-29-19 02:25 PM
    And when you subtract the energy needed to manufacture discs (DVD/Blu-Ray), distribute them to retailers, transport to customers or rental establishments, and then the two round trips to get and then return the discs, I bet Netflix has halved the energy required. And that doesn't even count the petroleum and metals and paper and ink and other materials that no longer need to be expended.

Sure, Netflix needs to improve its environmental impact, and no doubt they will, but these articles rarely give a balanced viewpoint.
    Trouveur and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-29-19 02:37 PM
    Plus an appendix addressed to BlackBerry Limited, since other than drunkenly flipping kernel build switches, locking the bootloader is one of the corners of their smoke and mirrors triad (the last being DTEK the mall cop).
    zer0ten and cribble2k like this.
    10-29-19 04:39 PM
    Why would TCL be implicated in the process to unlock the bootloader?
    10-29-19 04:45 PM
    Why would TCL be implicated in the process to unlock the bootloader?
    It's their device. They would have to pay BlackBerry Limited to do it.
    10-29-19 04:53 PM
    Plus an appendix addressed to BlackBerry Limited, since other than drunkenly flipping kernel build switches, locking the bootloader is one of the corners of their smoke and mirrors triad (the last being DTEK the mall cop).
    Wow, that is an amazing complement you give to BlackBerry. Even I wouldn't go that far. To claim their drunken action created a more secure phone than the sober apple people is high praise indeed!
    10-29-19 06:09 PM
    And when you subtract the energy needed to manufacture discs (DVD/Blu-Ray), distribute them to retailers, transport to customers or rental establishments, and then the two round trips to get and then return the discs, I bet Netflix has halved the energy required. And that doesn't even count the petroleum and metals and paper and ink and other materials that no longer need to be expended.

Sure, Netflix needs to improve its environmental impact, and no doubt they will, but these articles rarely give a balanced viewpoint.
    Well you know I'm not really one of those climate change cultists...but obviously I don't think you should carbon-monoxide your neighbourhood to death (or noise them to insanity) just so that you can gas-spew your lawn to perfect height, and put the gas and noise hair-dryer on the leaf fall on your lawn, or keep your in-vehicle laptop playing a netflix movie, or putting on makeup, or listening to tunes in the car. Doing this during your road-crew breaktime or driveway meditation time before coming or going - just causes a plain high pollution in urban zones hazard to peoples lungs and potential cellular biology.

In your own barn? knock yourself out. So otherwise it's no biggie to me, but it is an interesting calculation -the netflix farm question. Maybe the assumptions are off, but interesting nonetheless. Just like batteries aren't necessarily cleaner than oil -due to the mining factor - just that it is elsewhere and not here. Making many comparisons more interesting when you include all factors.

But hey, if you are big on that finding the climate bigfoot, then I might think the DVD at the local store should have a lower footprint. Obviously a climate doom advocate should never drive to get their dvd's, groceries, shopping etc....so they go on bike,foot or public transit (not even uber -sorry folks). Thereby their whatever footprint would be quite small vs. a 24/7 data server farm. So for the climate change believers an unlocked device for a fee might be an 'earth friendlier' source of revenue and an option for BlackBerry.

That gets me to thinking, should the fitbit include your carbon footprint from your activities and purchases (lol). Get your BlackBerry phone Bike holders folks.

Obviously (in theory) the embedded warnings 'unsecured blackberry' would have to stay on those devices because of the assumption that they are norally secured ...or maybe just return them locked but with an unprotected/unsecured os upgrade via a similiar manner. Obviously the labour involved plus profit would be required to cover for these phone conversions.
    10-29-19 06:39 PM
    yo yo
    10-29-19 08:13 PM
    where is android 9 for key 2???
    10-29-19 08:14 PM
    where is android 9 for key 2???
    Next to Android 7 for Priv and BB10 for PlayBook.
    john_v, hamilgs, howarmat and 2 others like this.
    10-30-19 03:05 AM