I keep seeing commercials for Spectrum Mobile. I am so tired of VZW not supporting BlackBerry phones - in this case not supporting the Key². I see that Spectrum Mobile is using some kind of combo of VZW and their own hotspots. So is it possible for me to ditch my KeyOne and switch from VZW to Spectrum Mobile and get a Key²?
    01-01-19 07:02 PM
    So is it possible for me to ditch my KeyOne and switch from VZW to Spectrum Mobile and get a Key²?
    That's an interesting question that I don't think anyone can really answer unless they have tested it out or inquired with Spectrum because as you know, Spectrum uses the Verizon network but there's nothing but Verizon's unwillingness to add the KEY2 to their network that's stopping it from working. It CAN work, if VZW allowed it. I assume Spectrum would adopt VZW's policies or the system wouldn't allow them to add it either but it's hard to say.
    01-01-19 09:17 PM
    Thanks, Bla1ze.
    01-01-19 09:21 PM
    Bumping this thread. I am on Verizon, interested in switching to Spectrum (which uses Verizon network technically). Anyone know if my Key2 LE will work?
    12-06-20 04:43 PM
    Bumping this thread. I am on Verizon, interested in switching to Spectrum (which uses Verizon network technically). Anyone know if my Key2 LE will work?
    I wouldn’t feel comfortable trusting anyone else’s personal experiences due to certification process. All you can do safely is activate new line on Spectrum Mobile and try out your LE with their service in you area. I’d give it thirty days and if successful then port over your number.
    12-06-20 05:21 PM
    I wouldn’t feel comfortable trusting anyone else’s personal experiences due to certification process. All you can do safely is activate new line on Spectrum Mobile and try out your LE with their service in you area. I’d give it thirty days and if successful then port over your number.
    Thanks, not sure what you mean by certification process. Wouldn't someone else with an LE working indicate my should work? What could vary by individual phone? Education time for me. Thanks.
    12-06-20 05:27 PM
    Thanks, not sure what you mean by certification process. Wouldn't someone else with an LE working indicate my should work? What could vary by individual phone? Education time for me. Thanks.
    Part of VZW networks requirements are for device to be certified on their network. For instance the Key2 LE is certified but the Key2 is not certified which is why so many Key 2 owners have to resort to all kinds of trickery with the various outcomes. Since YOUR LE is good on VZW, all we know is that it’s certified for the VZW customer YOU are. Since the Spectrum Mobile service is just an MVNO reseller of VZW seller, you’re not guaranteed compatibility or prioritization.
    Arun Baheti likes this.
    12-06-20 05:33 PM
    Thanks -- not sure I totally get it, but this helps!
    12-06-20 05:35 PM
    Sorry, another question. My LE has dual sim -- should I be able to test this by getting borrowing a friend's Spectrum chip as using it as my secondary for an hour? Or as primary? Like when I travel abroad. Or is there some phone-specific thing they need to do for each customer?
    Last edited by Arun Baheti; 12-09-20 at 11:58 AM.
    12-09-20 11:34 AM
    Sorry, another question. My LE has dual sim -- should I be able to test this by getting borrowing a friend's Spectrum chip as using it as my secondary for an hour? Or as primary? Like when I travel abroad. Or is there some phone-specific thing they need to do for each customer?
    Most MVNOs have their own requirements... usually they have a "see if your device is compatible" website. You put in your IMEI and they'll tell you if they support it.

But you could just use his for an hour without any other sim. Make sure basics like calls and sms are fully working, then move on to WiFi Calling, Visual Voice Mail.

If that works then your are fine... unless something changes.
    Arun Baheti likes this.
    12-09-20 12:07 PM
    Thanks!
    12-09-20 12:36 PM
    Have you considered a Key2Le? Verizon supports that phone. I have a KeyOne on Sprint I use nightly. My Le is on Verizon and it is my daily driver. I am much happier with Verizon the Sprint.
    12-10-20 12:15 AM
    Have have the key2 LE on Verizon. I'm interested in saving money by switching to spectrum since it uses Verizon network. The prices are super low and friends report solid coverage in LA
    12-10-20 12:19 AM
    I'm pretty sure Spectrum is very strict on which devices they allow. Just because it is Verizon compatible doesn't mean it will work long term. As soon as they detect an unapproved device they'll lock it out. At least that's what they told me when trying to add a Verizon supported Pixel 2XL to their network.
    Arun Baheti likes this.
    12-10-20 10:26 AM
    I'm pretty sure Spectrum is very strict on which devices they allow. Just because it is Verizon compatible doesn't mean it will work long term. As soon as they detect an unapproved device they'll lock it out. At least that's what they told me when trying to add a Verizon supported Pixel 2XL to their network.
    I pretty much agree with that statement. Even though VZW certified, the carrier doesn’t want to encourage users leaving for a cheaper service by making it easier. Also, MVNOs have lower profit margins also, selling new devices helps offset and may also be a partnership with their carrier partner too.
    Arun Baheti likes this.
    12-10-20 01:24 PM