Is there any reason for having the speed key to be pressed only simultaneously with a shortcut key instead of having those keys pressed consecutively (single-handedly)?
    08-04-18 03:33 AM
    Maybe TCL wanted to make sure that you really want to switch between apps, thats why they designed it in a way that you must hold it during the switch
    08-04-18 03:39 AM
    Maybe TCL wanted to make sure that you really want to switch between apps, thats why they designed it in a way that you must hold it during the switch
    Is not the switch the only function of the speed key?
    08-04-18 05:01 AM
    Think of the situation when you pressed it mistakenly while typing and followed by a button. This would kick you out of from your current app. This can become counter productive and nuisance in the long run.

I think they thought out well tbh when they offered this functionality.
    bozzg86 likes this.
    08-04-18 05:05 AM
    Think of the situation when you pressed it mistakenly while typing and followed by a button. This would kick you out of from your current app. This can become counter productive and nuisance in the long run.

I just thought that it could be technically possible to have an option for the users to choose between the two methods.
    08-04-18 05:16 AM
    I just thought that it could be technically possible to have an option for the users to choose between the two methods.
    It probably would be but then again there are other options that can be offered too. They can probably offer it later but the phone isn't marketed to be a one handed phone, so that would be quite lower on their to-do list.

Right now they have bigger issues to fix. Top should be to make use of the hardware of the camera properly. This is killing their sales.

Also with more options offered, the support also magnifies. This is the first time they introduced this functionality, so they kept is simple and fail safe. Note that this isn't something Android offers or supports out of the box, so they have a constant service that is listening to events from the Speed key.
    08-04-18 05:22 AM

I was wondering the same thing for a while regarding the Speed Key and this is the most sensible reason I heard so far! Thank you

Come to think about it, in fact I have erroneously hit the Speed Key as I was speed typing a message and obviously invoked a shortcut instead of continue to type so I can only imagine what could have happened had you mistakenly hit the Speed Key, pause for a sec and continue typing only to find yourself at a different app...this would be an opening for bad reviews.

That being said, none simultaneous action using the Speed Key should be enabled when the PKB is configured to invoke Device Search when starting to type from the home screen rather than shortcuts.
    08-04-18 08:07 AM
    I would really appreciate being able to hit the speed key and then the shortcut key, say within half a second or so. Otherwise jumping from app to happen strictly at two handed activity. Sometimes I'm able to press the speed key and M at the same time, but that's the only one
    08-04-18 08:56 AM
    I think using the speed key simultaneously or sequentially with another key should be made configurable. In the latter case, even allowing the user to set the delay would be great. I like pressing the keys together better though.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-18 09:17 AM
    I agree with those who would like the option to just tap the Speedkey and then the shortcut cut key. I believe I would use it more often.
    The other option I would like is to be able to close the app the same way it was opened using the Speedkey/shortcut key.
    08-04-18 10:03 AM
    1. You can always press the Home button and then the shortcut you want then double press "recents" to go to original app.

2. The convenience key already jumps out of apps.

That has been my experience with the Keyone but Key2 may be different. Please let me know if it doesn't work that way with Key2.
    08-04-18 11:06 AM
    I think the current default is smart so that you just don't get surprised, but I would like to see an option to enable sequential speed key use with maybe a half-second delay. I would use
    08-04-18 06:19 PM
    it would be great to have the option indeed.
    The speed key is highly useful, but could be improved.
    08-05-18 05:02 AM
    It probably would be but then again there are other options that can be offered too. They can probably offer it later but the phone isn't marketed to be a one handed phone, so that would be quite lower on their to-do list.

Right now they have bigger issues to fix. Top should be to make use of the hardware of the camera properly. This is killing their sales.

Also with more options offered, the support also magnifies. This is the first time they introduced this functionality, so they kept is simple and fail safe. Note that this isn't something Android offers or supports out of the box, so they have a constant service that is listening to events from the Speed key.
    Yes, camera and also different Ctrl key location. The latter is what I want the most as it's very uncomfortable to have the Ctrl key on the right instead of the left. Meanwhile, I never use speech input so I want to utilize that key is as Ctrl.
    08-05-18 03:11 PM
    all the keys I want to press in tandem with control are on the left (axcv) so I don't mind it
    08-05-18 07:28 PM
    so, how is having a speed key more efficient the way it is currently configured, vs pressing the home key and any shortcut key?
    it's still 2 button presses, but with the home key, then shortcut key, I can do it one-handed.
    08-05-18 10:16 PM
    all the keys I want to press in tandem with control are on the left (axcv) so I don't mind it
    It's not the worst thing in the world, but on my laptop, I use the left Ctrl key so it's very uncomfortable to have Ctrl on the right on the Key2.
    08-06-18 03:47 AM
    so, how is having a speed key more efficient the way it is currently configured, vs pressing the home key and any shortcut key?
    it's still 2 button presses, but with the home key, then shortcut key, I can do it one-handed.
    In my opinion, to exit the app and go to homescreen to be able to switch between apps is awkward

Using the speed key seems more modern to me

But I understand how you mean it and that in number of button presses is the same.

This new way just fits a bit better my use of phone. I dont want to see homescreen when I need to change apps
    08-06-18 10:02 AM
    In my opinion, to exit the app and go to homescreen to be able to switch between apps is awkward

Using the speed key seems more modern to me

But I understand how you mean it and that in number of button presses is the same.

This new way just fits a bit better my use of phone. I dont want to see homescreen when I need to change apps
    I was struggling to compose a reply to @farmwersteve post and you just nailed it!

It just feels awkward to keep returning to the home screen....less tactile if that make sense at all.

Also, if we train our muscle memory to use the Speed Key then it needs to stay consistent throughout rather than change based on circumstance (one hand vs. two).

Anyway, it's a matter of preference and feel, not so much functionality and @farmwersteve is right, it takes the exact same number of steps.
    mtalinm and farmwersteve like this.
    08-06-18 10:17 AM
    But I have to say, that I dont really know, why I am more OK with this "new way" of switching between apps. Because in BB10, imho one of best OS of all time, there was this constant movement (swipe out of app to see the list of running apps and press the next app I want) and I had nothing against it.

But as I said, to be able to switch between apps in blink of an eye (without any visible step between) seems great to me.
    08-06-18 10:26 AM
    But I have to say, that I dont really know, why I am more OK with this "new way" of switching between apps. Because in BB10, imho one of best OS of all time, there was this constant movement (swipe out of app to see the list of running apps and press the next app I want) and I had nothing against it.

But as I said, to be able to switch between apps in blink of an eye (without any visible step between) seems great to me.
    Yup! "Constant Movement" is key! The problem but also the greatness of Android is that there are too many ways to achieving the same.

Too many ways to delete a message, too many ways to open an app and so on.

Thing is, people need options because different people have different preferences and that, amongst many other things is what makes Android so popular.
    08-06-18 10:31 AM
    The speedkey should be like the ALT Key.

First press the Speedkey
    Than the shurtcut to open an app.

Than it is possible to operate the KEY2 with only one hand!
    09-08-18 02:26 PM
    The speedkey should be like the ALT Key.

First press the Speedkey
    Than the shurtcut to open an app.

Than it is possible to operate the KEY2 with only one hand!
    Don't agree with it because it may occur accidentally hitting of the speed key and then of the shortcut.
    I think that the speed key is clearly designed to use when there is two handed use of the device , then it works absolutely fine.
    For one handed use still with one touch you hit the time screen and then hit the shortcut you need.
    No reason at least for me , to program speed key doing the same task.
    09-09-18 06:44 AM
    Don't agree with it because it may occur accidentally hitting of the speed key and then of the shortcut.
    I think that the speed key is clearly designed to use when there is two handed use of the device , then it works absolutely fine.
    For one handed use still with one touch you hit the time screen and then hit the shortcut you need.
    No reason at least for me , to program speed key doing the same task.
    I agree with this, but a solution could be that if you double-tap speedkey, then you can hit the appropriate key to use its shortcut.

Feature could be called: "double tap Speed Key for one-handed shortcut access"
    BLAZEDv3 likes this.
    09-09-18 07:20 AM
    This is why I prefer my KEYᵒⁿᵉ setup using "buttons remapper." I double tap the "H" key to go to the home screen and then I press the shortcut key I desire, great for one handed use without looking at the device. In addition, I can use right shift + any key of my desire to mimic the speedkey. Double tap "X" for recent apps, double tap "V" to pull down notifications, double tap "J" to go back, basically any key you never type consecutively. No need for a KEY², hope the KEY3 brings more functionality.
    Kraeutermann likes this.
    09-09-18 08:06 AM