I think the vast majority know what they want in a device. Those requirements include social media, large amounts of content consumption and the ability to take and share quality images. One of the biggest marketing slogans in the mirrorless camera market is "the best camera is the one you have with you". This paradigm has done significant damage to the DSLR market for a number of years and will have more effects as smaller cameras become more capable. Of course, that same paradigm can damage mirrorless cameras and that is already happening with smart phones. Why carry a separate camera when a phone can do more than one job.

Most people actually do think what they need in a phone. If their main use in content consumption, the last thing they want is a PKB robbing value screen real estate. Younger customers are driving the changes that are now leading the market trends. They refuse to watch conventional media, littered with ads that destroy any continuity in a show. They refuse to be dictated to on when to watch something, decided by some programming executive.

They watch youtube with ad blockers enabled. They use encrypted chat apps and many are now using VPN 24/7 to ensure they have some level of privacy. Many use social media for their news sources. Many use social media for businesses. The prominence of facebook business pages in Thailand alone, far out ways the numbers of business websites. Some are using their own group servers for secured, private chats with friends.

Use case example: A student goes to senior school or university. All text books are now electronic and available on institution system drives. What method is best to take notes on the fly? Should they print pages before each class? Should they use a phone with a PKB or VKB? Should they use a chromebook? Should they use a PC or Mac laptop?

Surely the best method is to mark up these text books as they follow classes and / or annotate on top of shared notes that they have accessed from other students or teachers. What does this job best? Definitely not a blackberry phone of any description. Ipads are the best by far. I am not a fan of anything apple, but they have "listened" to the market and "provided" what was desired.

PDFs, JPGs, one note files are all interchanged between students, by any number of chat apps. Worst case, they will use a phone camera to take snapshots of pages and share them. If the camera is good enough, these can easily be enlarged to A4 and used in onenote with pen to write all over and mark up as necessary. Onenote sync immediately and files can be shared instantly via public folders on multiple cloud drives. Onenote is one of many that can complete this task.

The marketing of both apple and samsung is strong, but it is the cross platform ecosystems that are driving younger people's decisions when purchasing. Sure, there will always be those who could not care what the specs are and just want a piece of pretty jewelry. That is what Apple stores are for; one can visit, spend lots of money and pay homage to the Semi Deity all in one swift visit. Coming soon is the apple card to make donations all that easier....

As I have said in other posts, I am a fan of BB. I like the simplicity of function over prettiness. Unfortunately I am in the minority. I can see clearly why a Key device fails to receive any interest from younger consumers. To them it is an antique technology similar to DVDs (maybe even VHS / BETA).

In my own Son's words, "if it was a priv form factor I would be very interested".
    A key device fails to receive interest from younger consumers because it doesn;t exist to them, no one knows about it, and there are no adds making it appealing. You talk about social media consumption, yet from that perspective, i can't see why slab phones would be any better for that purpose. How many people still have iphones,other phones with the screen size of 4.7inches, in the millions? people got by fine and loved their social media on a device with a screen barely bigger than that of the key1/2.

Kids these days are caught up with this idea, that bigger is better. Marketing is telling them what's cool. Lets compare the key phones and say a larger slab, for social media purposes, to see what the benefit is. According to what the market is saying, a bigger screen gives greater expeiences, we need a bigger screen. Infact what you get is more battery burn and less time doing your social media, when on long trips away from home. As for screen size differences, when it comes to portability devices, there is a peak, if you can imaginea graph, where screen size and emotional gains, hits a peak, and where bigger just simply makes no differences, emotionally. We have already made the adjsutment of coming down from massive tv/pc screens to a much smaller portable phone, and we are now talking inches of difference. We have also come to a point, accross all phones, that are now in full hd, and with a screen space and ppi density that allows for clear crisp visuals, big enough to convey what is shown infront of us and in the backgound, that the difference in using social media apps such as facebook,twiiter, spotify, netflix etc on my keyone and that of my wife's pixel 3 xl, is negligible. I've tried it, tested it, emotionally i felt the same, for the above reasons i mentioned. If i showed you a youtube video on my key 2 and the same one on a large slab, would you laugh or cry more? if you were stuck on a train for 2 hours and you watched a movie on netflix on key2, and you did the same on a large slab , would you love the movie any less? What about the the fact that people spend alot of time typing on social media, comments on youtube, facebook, twitter, watsapp, forums etc.. which the vkb ends up taking more real estate, more chance of typos, and that you get a less satisfying typing experience,

So this idea of a KEY device being less of a social media device because it has a real keyboard thrown onto a screen, or vice versa, and not being so huge, really annoys me. If people really sat down and thought about what they're getting , what they need and how they want a device to make them feel, they might actually come to appreciate it, instead of being alarmed by what the media feeds them, and getting rid of misconceptions .
    the_boon likes this.
    08-13-19 10:36 AM
    I'm sure that BlackBerry Mobile tracked the performance of its advertising campaigns. So they know whether additional investment would have helped.

The way marketers work is they test ads and see if they impact sales against a baseline. If they do, they buy more ads.

A great example is infomercials. The companies that produce them run a few dozen late night spots in one or two markets for a few thousand dollars. If they produce results, they increase their investment. Otherwise, they give up on the ad or the product.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    All of that is predicated on targeting the correct demographic. Spending on a Super Bowl ad clearly indicates the mouse is not even in the maze anymore.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-13-19 10:38 AM
    A key device fails to receive interest from younger consumers because it doesn;t exist to them, no one knows about it, and there are no adds making it appealing. You talk about social media consumption, yet from that perspective, i can't see why slab phones would be any better for that purpose. How many people still have iphones,other phones with the screen size of 4.7inches, in the millions? people got by fine and loved their social media on a device with a screen barely bigger than that of the key1/2.

Kids these days are caught up with this idea, that bigger is better. Marketing is telling them what's cool. Lets compare the key phones and say a larger slab, for social media purposes, to see what the benefit is. According to what the market is saying, a bigger screen gives greater expeiences, we need a bigger screen. Infact what you get is more battery burn and less time doing your social media, when on long trips away from home. As for screen size differences, when it comes to portability devices, there is a peak, if you can imaginea graph, where screen size and emotional gains, hits a peak, and where bigger just simply makes no differences, emotionally. We have already made the adjsutment of coming down from massive tv/pc screens to a much smaller portable phone, and we are now talking inches of difference. We have also come to a point, accross all phones, that are now in full hd, and with a screen space and ppi density that allows for clear crisp visuals, big enough to convey what is shown infront of us and in the backgound, that the difference in using social media apps such as facebook,twiiter, spotify, netflix etc on my keyone and that of my wife's pixel 3 xl, is negligible. I've tried it, tested it, emotionally i felt the same, for the above reasons i mentioned. If i showed you a youtube video on my key 2 and the same one on a large slab, would you laugh or cry more? if you were stuck on a train for 2 hours and you watched a movie on netflix on key2, and you did the same on a large slab , would you love the movie any less? What about the the fact that people spend alot of time typing on social media, comments on youtube, facebook, twitter, watsapp, forums etc.. which the vkb ends up taking more real estate, more chance of typos, and that you get a less satisfying typing experience,

So this idea of a KEY device being less of a social media device because it has a real keyboard thrown onto a screen, or vice versa, and not being so huge, really annoys me. If people really sat down and thought about what they're getting , what they need and how they want a device to make them feel, they might actually come to appreciate it, instead of being alarmed by what the media feeds them, and getting rid of misconceptions .
    There is a learning curve in going from starting with and always using a VKB to a PKB and visa versa.

Young folks seem to be really good on their iphones etc. They do not see the need.

I think Chen is right, a 9900 redo for $ 200 might sell .
    Gene Fells likes this.
    08-13-19 11:06 AM
    There is a learning curve in going from starting with and always using a VKB to a PKB and visa versa.

Young folks seem to be really good on their iphones etc. They do not see the need.

I think Chen is right, a 9900 redo for $ 200 might sell .
    He was referring to a dumbphone+, which is essentially what Jio is all about.
    08-13-19 11:09 AM
    Why does everyone act like people are stupid or “don’t think” if they’ve evolved with a different form or style? I’m amazed how communication has evolved past some millennials as their younger counterparts use alternative mediums...
    08-13-19 11:15 AM
    Why does everyone act like people are stupid or “don’t think” if they’ve evolved with a different form or style? I’m amazed how communication has evolved past some millennials as their younger counterparts use alternative mediums...
    Those silly kids with their loud rocking and rolling music!
    herbersh, app_Developer and pdr733 like this.
    08-13-19 11:21 AM

I see what you're saying and as an avid defender of the KEY phones and just PKB's in general, I can tell you with 100% certainty that I'd rather watch a movie/TV show on my Pixel 3's 5.5 P-OLED display than on the KEY's 4.5 mid-grade LCD.

For media viewing and gaming purposes, a slab is just better. Much better.
    Now, if we're talking a small entry level or mid range slab with a cheap LCD, then the difference will be insignificant.
    People don't seem to value accurate and enjoyable mobile written communication anymore, so that's where we are now.

However, that's not to say that I'm shocked that the PKB is so close to extinction with such tiny marketshare.
    Jonneh likes this.
    08-13-19 11:33 AM
    Call me stuck in the past if you want, but I find it sad that most people couldn't give 2 ****s about correct grammar in their messages. I'd be embarrassed to send some of the messages that I see. Like I said, maybe I'm just stuck in the past.
    Jonneh and PantherBlitz like this.
    08-13-19 11:49 AM
    My rant was just to point out that most people don't care about the advantage that pkb's offer.
    Jonneh likes this.
    08-13-19 11:51 AM
    I see what you're saying and as an avid defender of the KEY phones and just PKB's in general, I can tell you with 100% certainty that I'd rather watch a movie/TV show on my Pixel 3's 5.5 P-OLED display than on the KEY's 4.5 mid-grade LCD.

Now, if we're talking a small entry level or mid range slab with a cheap LCD, then the difference will be insignificant.
    People don't seem to value accurate and enjoyable mobile written communication anymore, so that's where we are now.

However, that's not to say that I'm shocked that the PKB is so close to extinction with such tiny marketshare.
    Why I taught a SLAB would be the perfect device...

But Slider (horizontal) or PKB I think there will always be an extra costs, and at these volumes more so.

BBMo would have never pulled it off...
    08-13-19 11:51 AM
    Hahaha. Cia?!?! Thefffff.. haha. If you worry about intel. Bad news. Anything digital is under control.

A
    N
    Y

There are secret industrial standards
    Hideous softwarelayers
    Secretive powerline standards
    Ridiculous radio protocols
    Replaced hardware on intelcoma filmed pw

Anything
    Digital
    Is
    Under
    Control

Its a matter of who else canread it

Its how
    Y
    O
    U
    Are not an equal citizen
    You arelike

Children that must be controlled, granting you roadblocks here and there but
    Anything digital is under control

Apple is a homo enterprise thatmeans they must care for their persecuted lifestyle people. There is a tick more safety

Blackberry is probably like verizon morelike satanic beast need money but hate control of anyone so comply but dont like to

The neutrals that guard their interest are rebellious too

But you

Y
    O
    U
    R

Role inthis
    Is

Smashwords.com/books/view/552210

Posted via CB10
    Dude, why do you post like this? lol
    anon(10387168) and Jonneh like this.
    08-13-19 11:52 AM
    Call me stuck in the past if you want, but I find it sad that most people couldn't give 2 ****s about correct grammar in their messages. I'd be embarrassed to send some of the messages that I see. Like I said, maybe I'm just stuck in the past.
    Yeah, in a business setting I would NOT excuse spelling errors from someone just because they typed it on their slab (most often iPhone because they hold the prize for worst VKB ever)

If you can't type properly on the go, proof read your s*** or buy a BlackBerry/Tec Pro 1 or something.
    08-13-19 11:57 AM
    He was referring to a dumbphone+, which is essentially what Jio is all about.
    Yes... no touch screen . Old school BBOS. Apps seem to be coming though. Sell cheaply enough for both Chen and OEM to make a profit.

Security like a Punkt.

Nokia seems to be profiting in this sector . Could be a Kaios flagship.

It would sell well enough but not satisfy current Key owners.

Interesting concept..
    08-13-19 12:00 PM
    Yeah, in a business setting I would NOT excuse spelling errors from someone just because they typed it on their slab (most often iPhone because they hold the prize for worst VKB ever)

If you can't type properly on the go, proof read your s*** or buy a BlackBerry/Tec Pro 1 or something.
    The K2 PKB is just as bad. It require text proofing just as much as any VKB out there...of course its tactile; its physical! But its not free of bugs by any means...
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    08-13-19 12:00 PM
    The K2 PKB is just as bad. It require text proofing just as much as any VKB out there...of course its tactile; its physical! But its not free of bugs by any means...
    You mean aside from LE-fying it by disabling the capacitive altogether?
    RK_BB likes this.
    08-13-19 12:05 PM
    I rarely proof anything I type, and as you know, I type more than the average bear.
    Last edited by conite; 08-13-19 at 12:45 PM.
    Jonneh likes this.
    08-13-19 12:30 PM
    You mean aside from LE-fying it by disabling the capacitive altogether?
    Pretty much...
    08-13-19 01:15 PM
    Pretty much...
    So you'll have a supercharged LE!

Still more fun than glass lol
    08-13-19 01:18 PM
    Those silly kids with their loud rocking and rolling music!
    Hey! I'm a rocking Senior with my loud rocking and rolling music.
    Jonneh likes this.
    08-13-19 01:26 PM
    Hey! I'm a rocking Senior with my loud rocking and rolling music.
    Those silly kids and their disrespectful rap wannabe music!
    Smokeaire likes this.
    08-13-19 01:28 PM
    Those silly kids and their disrespectful rap wannabe music!
    That's more like it.
    08-13-19 01:31 PM

For gaming and media viewing, a tv/pc and consoles are infinitely better. Again people are stuck with misconceptions with what is "better". We are strictly speaking the general audience here, not professional photographers or gamers who play fortnite and pubg all day. If you want a phone with the ability to play games as an option, there are thousands that would play just fine on a key, even with a keyboard next to the screen. Now about that pixel 3 screen, how does it offer a much better experience? Bigger screen, battery drain, amoled ecen more battery drain, for what? if you are going to nit pick the screen to compare small details, then people have lost the plot about portability screening. If you go into it without analysing, the end experience will be the same. What if a key3 had the 5.5inch and the rest had a 7inch or so, the key3 screen is now redundant and everyone still calling it non social media device because of it's screen size and pkb, and not as great the bigger screen, and so forth of this never ending slabs getting larger. If these amoled devices are that amazing, to make such a difference between 2 inches, then i should be having multiple orgasms on this pc display of the same footage i am viewing right now between these 3 devices, which i am not. So this tells me that people either don't really get it and way in over there head with what they've been led to believe will give a much better experience.

I's not about just written communication satisfaction that is lost, i think this market doesn;t understand what the older generation had, a device that made you appreciate and actually love it, as you use it. I toyed with my wife's pixel 3 xl , and and iphone 8 plus, even the terrible s10 galaxy and it's design, and to me they're just a point a to b device, and that's it. You open and app, use the camera, and it's over quickly. The stuff that happens in between and such, personalised customisations , feed back as you use it, is almost non existant. God forbid the day blackberry phones are non existant and i have to buy a phone poorly designed, that i need to buy a case day one to prevent the phone slipping out of my hands because of it's glass back and polished curves with no grip at all, i wonder why they bother releasing colors when you know it's getting covered up with a back case.
    08-13-19 07:26 PM
    Here's where I think BBMo is failing to identify a large market. As the population of business users ages, they need larger screens, but many still value a physical keyboard because it's difficult to compose emails and texts on a slab, and voice recognition still isn't great.
    Marketed well, I think there still ought to be a market for a large-screened phone with a slide-out physical keyboard. ... Or possibly one like the Titan.
    I think the Passport would have been more successful with Android, but even more successful with a full HD screen and a slide-out keyboard.
    I'd buy 2 of those, just to make sure I had another when the first died.
    anon(10218918) and Jonneh like this.
    08-13-19 07:37 PM
    I feel idiotic even asking but... Where did you find one? In the USA I have been searching online/retailers for several months. (No, I don't trust a random seller unloading used/unlocked phones on Amazon.) BestBuy seems to have dropped the BB line altogether. (I've visited 5 stores in 3 different states in the past 30 days and everyone says "No, we just took down our display model. No, we don't have any more BlackBerries en route." You know you're in trouble when they replace your phone model with a Nokia. (Yes, I'm serious.)
    08-13-19 09:39 PM
    I feel idiotic even asking but... Where did you find one? In the USA I have been searching online/retailers for several months. (No, I don't trust a random seller unloading used/unlocked phones on Amazon.) BestBuy seems to have dropped the BB line altogether. (I've visited 5 stores in 3 different states in the past 30 days and everyone says "No, we just took down our display model. No, we don't have any more BlackBerries en route." You know you're in trouble when they replace your phone model with a Nokia. (Yes, I'm serious.)
    Devices are essentially sold out in the US, and it appears they are not rushing to make any more.
    08-13-19 10:18 PM
696 ... 45678 ...