Kind of an absurd argument.

No, they aren't obligated to tell us their business plans, but they would be much more transparent if they anticipated trying to maintain and grow the brand.

As others have said in a variety of ways, the silence actually communicates quite a bit.
    08-20-19 07:51 AM
    The BlackBerry fees might explain the higher price of the Key phones.
    08-20-19 08:37 AM
    The BlackBerry fees might explain the higher price of the Key phones.
    It's certainly one part, yes.

Low economies of scale and custom one-off parts are others.
    08-20-19 08:51 AM
    and margins
    08-20-19 09:01 AM
    and margins
    I don't think that TCL is even in the black on this venture.
    Last edited by conite; 08-20-19 at 02:46 PM.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    08-20-19 09:36 AM
    I doubt its around the corner or happening at all at this point.

It is way too quiet IMO.
    I agree. Although we should actually wait until end of this year. If nothing is even hinted or rumoured I think we won't see a KEY3.
    08-20-19 02:15 PM
    I don't that TCL is even in the black on this venture.
    I suspect TCL is technically in the black, with BlackBerry Mobile being in the red, though of course they are the same company. BBMo never had enough working capital to fill all their channels with product, while TCL got paid for every manufacturing batch.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-20-19 02:31 PM
    I agree. Although we should actually wait until end of this year. If nothing is even hinted or rumoured I think we won't see a KEY3.
    IMO it won't be until MWC that we will have a more concrete information.
    08-20-19 06:05 PM
    Also thinking along these lines. Either that or complete radio silence and the end of BBMobile
    08-20-19 06:07 PM
    Also thinking along these lines. Either that or complete radio silence and the end of BBMobile
    Well, if they don't exhibit it's game over. If they exhibit and avoid journalists then they are in an even bigger limbo than we think they are otherwise they will have to answer some questions no doubt.
    08-20-19 06:10 PM
    Ahhhhhh.... Concrete information makes me think BlackBerry Mobile will unfortunately end up like Jimmy Hoffa.

Bob
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-20-19 07:02 PM
    Ahhhhhh.... Concrete information makes me think BlackBerry Mobile will unfortunately end up like Jimmy Hoffa.

Bob
    Nonetheless, IMO this is the most important event in which we can have some clarification as to where this ship is sailing, or rather sinking...
    08-20-19 07:04 PM
    Nonetheless, IMO this is the most important event in which we can have some clarification as to where this ship is sailing, or rather sinking...
    Yep... I agree. It's highly unlikely we will hear anything from TCL/BlackBerry Mobile, or any other credible sources, regarding the status of they KEY3 or their business operations until MWC 2020.

Bob
    08-20-19 07:08 PM
    Yep... I agree. It's highly unlikely we will hear anything from TCL/BlackBerry Mobile, or any other credible sources, regarding the status of they KEY3 or their business operations until MWC 2020.

Bob
    That is nearly 7 months out...thankfully there are other options in the real world....
    08-20-19 07:14 PM
    It's certainly one part, yes.

Low economies of scale and custom one-off parts are others.
    Or perhaps, just perhaps ... the asking price reflects TCL’s idea of what the market will bear.
    08-20-19 07:50 PM
    What’s the downside for keeping quiet? Especially if no more product?
    Olympus Imaging Division could answer this question for you.

They proudly stuck their heads in the sand for 3 years - refusing to even mention 4/3rds camera updates to support the many professionals who had invested large amounts in 4/3 lenses.

Whilst maintaining total silence on 4/3 updates, they could not be silenced on their new baby - Micro 4/3 line. Of course, these new cameras used different lens mounts and therefore rendered the 4/3 lenses close to unusable, except with a low speed adapter.

When challenged, they stated that M4/3 was a different camera line and was aimed at smaller, light weight bodies that were truly portable.

As time went on, the 4/3 users lost faith in the company and their "commitment' to their customer base. Many sold their gear and moved on, openly stating, never to return.

Eventually after 3 years, Olympus was forced to address the issue as some 4/3 owners refused to leave and became more vocal on forums. They released a camera body that could use both lens mounts and could take advantage of both new and old gear.

Did the loyal customer base return? No...... They had moved to other platforms with support and more open communication on company direction and support.

The irony is the Olympus products are now becoming larger in size and they are once again trying to sell higher end products to professional users.

Those professionals now use cannon, nikon and even fuji.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-20-19 08:18 PM
    Olympus Imaging Division could answer this question for you.

They proudly stuck their heads in the sand for 3 years - refusing to even mention 4/3rds camera updates to support the many professionals who had invested large amounts in 4/3 lenses.

Whilst maintaining total silence on 4/3 updates, they could not be silenced on their new baby - Micro 4/3 line. Of course, these new cameras used different lens mounts and therefore rendered the 4/3 lenses close to unusable, except with a low speed adapter.

When challenged, they stated that M4/3 was a different camera line and was aimed at smaller, light weight bodies that were truly portable.

As time went on, the 4/3 users lost faith in the company and their "commitment' to their customer base. Many sold their gear and moved on, openly stating, never to return.

Eventually after 3 years, Olympus was forced to address the issue as some 4/3 owners refused to leave and became more vocal on forums. They released a camera body that could use both lens mounts and could take advantage of both new and old gear.

Did the loyal customer base return? No...... They had moved to other platforms with support and more open communication on company direction and support.

The irony is the Olympus products are now becoming larger in size and they are once again trying to sell higher end products to professional users.

Those professionals now use cannon, nikon and even fuji.
    BOOM!
    08-20-19 08:21 PM
    I believe that both of you missed the simplicity of my question. If there’s no consumer product (BlackBerry Hardware) anymore, what’s the damage?
    08-20-19 08:24 PM
    I believe that both of you missed the simplicity of my question. If there’s no consumer product (BlackBerry Hardware) anymore, what’s the damage?
    In this case you are right, there would be no damage (to an already tarnished brand might I add) if no more consumer products are planned.
    08-20-19 08:28 PM
    You might want to have a read of this thread:

https://forums.crackberry.com/news-r...umors-1174843/
    Interesting... At this moment, Blackberry limited is probably searching for a new licensee to make hardware if TCL is pulling out.
    08-20-19 09:52 PM
    Interesting... At this moment, Blackberry limited is probably searching for a new licensee to make hardware if TCL is pulling out.
    Who are they gonna find?

Ryan Seacrest?
    08-20-19 10:16 PM
    While I'm sure that they're looking, we all know that the odds of finding anyone is very near zero.

This is a line of business that BB failed at themselves, and then 3 different licensees failed at. What would motivate anyone else to try? The chance to lose money just like all 4 companies have? The 3 licensees were already doing a high-risk, low-chance of success experiment, and none of them got lucky - in fact, the market has only gotten more difficult and is bound to get more difficult still, as the smaller and less-well-equipped and capitalized companies get squeezed out. That's the normal business cycle for a major new product category - it's not new to the world.

No, if TCL is done, then BB-branded smartphones are done too.
    John Albert, so crow and Trouveur like this.
    08-20-19 11:02 PM
    While I'm sure that they're looking, we all know that the odds of finding anyone is very near zero.

This is a line of business that BB failed at themselves, and then 3 different licensees failed at. What would motivate anyone else to try? The chance to lose money just like all 4 companies have? The 3 licensees were already doing a high-risk, low-chance of success experiment, and none of them got lucky - in fact, the market has only gotten more difficult and is bound to get more difficult still, as the smaller and less-well-equipped and capitalized companies get squeezed out. That's the normal business cycle for a major new product category - it's not new to the world.

No, if TCL is done, then BB-branded smartphones are done too.
    Unless they change the scope of the licencing.
    08-20-19 11:24 PM
    does tcl/blackbRry mobile release financial reports?
    08-20-19 11:51 PM
    Who are they gonna find?

Ryan Seacrest?
    Ha, ha... good one.
    08-21-19 01:12 AM
696 ... 910111213 ...