So I haven't used a blackberry in a really long time(last was a blackberry bold). Iv had my current phone for around 3 years now(Samsung galaxy s6 edge) and im finally looking for an upgrade. After doing a lot of research I came to the conclusion that I had to have the blackberry key 2.

The only concern that I have is the problem with wifi calling. I work in a building where I don't get service and oddly enough the apartment I live in doesn't have good service either(Tmoble). Iv been to multiple forum posts that state that the problem is on blackberrys end, which with the newest patch: ABC432 the company removed the wifi calling feature(with no concrete plans to fix the problem). According to a few posts by JKames here on crack berry that "I spoke to someone in John Chen's office, who connected me with a senior tech at Blackberry Mobile.
    Wifi calling with T-Mobile has not been certified yet and is currently in process". Iv seen the email that he posted and it doesn't look like they really have plans for a fix in the near future. Some other posters showed emails of bb customer support saying that the removal of wifi calling was intentional for unlocked phones(every US phone is unlocked).

Worst case scenario, blackberry doesn't release a wifi calling patch. I know there are a few work arounds(shortcut app and imputing some type of number sequence for a developer settings menu, also don't know how well this works) but I was wondering if its possible to just revert to the previous patch ABA082(released patch that supports wifi calling)?

Like I said I cant really use the phone efficiently without wifi calling considering the 2 most common places I use my phone for calls are not service covered(tmoble). Only interested in advice from people with the phone in the US(unlocked). I would hate to buy a $650 paperweight.
    09-15-18 07:07 PM
    WFC currently works on KeyOne and Motion but not Key2. Will that change? Honestly, who knows? But it is quite good on my wife's KeyOne and on my Motion. T-Mo USA, of course.
    09-15-18 11:23 PM
    Wifi calling works on Rogers locked key2 on the Sept patch. Another BlackBerry KEY2 WiFi question-screenshot_20180915-230414.jpg
    09-15-18 11:31 PM
    Wifi calling works on Rogers locked key2 on the Sept patch. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180915-230414.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	440098
    Thanks for the response. I was wondering if it is a branded bbk2(does rogers sell the phone directly, i.e. have a contract with blackberry)? Im not really familiar with rogers considering im from the US. Here in the states we only have the unlocked version of bbk2(nonwireless provider which means no support from the wireless provider). Some people have posted emails from blackberry customer support, which said there is no wifi calling currently on the unlocked key 2 and there isnt really any plan for an update.

Iv read in some other posts that there is workarounds to using wifi calling via number sequence enetered in the phone(dev menu) and using a shortcut app to bypass and somehow force the setting on(wifi calling).

I was just wondering if this was true? Can anybody confirm or have a solution to make calls when wireless signal isnt working?(most of the people I talk to use samsung and iphones so bbm might not be a good solution).
    09-16-18 04:03 AM
    In the posts I've read, one can use the magic number sequence and/or the shortcut method to acquire the WFC menus on Key2, Key1, and Motion. However, the Key2 will not connect. That's USA T-Mo. On at&t it seems NONE will connect.
    Last edited by scrannel; 09-16-18 at 10:30 AM.
    09-16-18 08:49 AM
    I spoke to BlackBerry support 2 weeks ago and was told that WiFi calling is not broken, it has been purposely disabled. The reason given is agreements with North American carriers, carrier unlocked phones will have it (depending if carrier enables it) and that all factory unlocked phones will not. Very disappointing.
    09-16-18 12:23 PM
    Is the Rogers Sept patch out already? If WiFi calling is now working on the KEY2 on Rogers, I may just go and get myself a KEY2 now.
    09-16-18 12:57 PM
    Wifi calling works on Rogers locked key2 on the Sept patch. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180915-230414.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	440098
    Does this mean that you already got the Rogers September update already?
    09-16-18 01:48 PM
    Does this mean that you already got the Rogers September update already?
    Autoloader
    09-16-18 01:49 PM
    I spoke to BlackBerry support 2 weeks ago and was told that WiFi calling is not broken, it has been purposely disabled. The reason given is agreements with North American carriers, carrier unlocked phones will have it (depending if carrier enables it) and that all factory unlocked phones will not. Very disappointing.
    How, from a seller's POV, would that make any sense? What are they getting in exchange for crippling their phones? And, why are Motion and KeyOne good to go? And... if carriers (like T-Mo USA) didn't want unlocked, factory phones to run their WFC... why are they? Not buying this.
    Last edited by scrannel; 09-16-18 at 03:30 PM.
    09-16-18 03:19 PM
    How, from a seller's POV, would that make any sense? What are they getting in exchange for crippling their phones? And, why are Motion and KeyOne good to go? And... if carriers (like T-Mo USA) didn't want unlocked, factory phones to run their WFC... why are they? Not buying this.
    Like I said people have posted their customer support emails which said, from blackberry's end, that there is no certification with tmoble for wifi calling. There are also emails from tmoble stating that blackberry is approved for wifi calling, which would mean were waiting for a software patch. Its a huge circle of misinformation, hence the conflict.
    09-16-18 03:52 PM
    Hi guys, OP here,
    Just wanted to follow up. I got in touch with customer support and they told me that the wifi calling being disabled on all UNLOCKED models due to a licensing problem. I asked if there are any plans in the future for a fix and it was a hard NO. There is nothing currently in the works and nothing planned for the future to renew/fix the licensing problem that they are having for wifi calling.
    09-16-18 04:13 PM
    And what is "not" able to be licensed, please?

Posted via CB10
    09-16-18 05:03 PM
    Except for every Motion and KeyOne? Or do they expect to pooch them all with upcoming "security" upgrades. Pardon me if I remain skeptical.
    09-16-18 09:20 PM
    Except for every Motion and KeyOne? Or do they expect to pooch them all with upcoming "security" upgrades. Pardon me if I remain skeptical.
    I didn't ask about any other phones all I know is the bbk2 doesn't and will not have wifi calling, unless they update their licensing to enable it. And once again customer support also said that they don't have any plans in the future(so far) to renew the licensing, so it looks pretty grim.

This is for the Blackberry Key2 unlocked versions. Locked versions that come from wireless providers like Rogers will have wifi calling.
    09-17-18 01:04 AM
    I didn't ask about any other phones all I know is the bbk2 doesn't and will not have wifi calling, unless they update their licensing to enable it. And once again customer support also said that they don't have any plans in the future(so far) to renew the licensing, so it looks pretty grim.

This is for the Blackberry Key2 unlocked versions. Locked versions that come from wireless providers like Rogers will have wifi calling.
    Thanks for the info Jubbers. Didn't realize this was K2, specific. In which case, there's some logic. However, it only makes sense if this is BBmo shutting off WFC on the K2. Then, on a one by one basis, turning it on for carrier locked versions. Thus making it more desirable for carriers.
    09-17-18 04:42 AM