So annoying, as I have been using my KEY2 and Android Pay for a very long time, and it has been no problem at all for small or large purchases using NFC tap and pay. I haven't had to carry a credit card with me for ages.

From Sunday it stopped and now throws an error message when I try to use it saying that my device "doesn't meet the required software security standards".

I tried initially clearing cache and then data for Google Play Store, Google Play Services and Google Pay - and rebooting too, but no joy.

Since I cleared the data and effectively wiped my 3 credit cards from the device, I need to set them up again... and Google Pay shows me the 3 cards it knows about, but when I click on any of them and try to re-activate them, I get the error message:

"Couldn't finish setup to pay in shops - This phone can't be used to pay in shops. This may be because it is rooted or altered in some other way."

This is my Red edition KEY2 BBF100-6 running the August patch (still waiting for Sept to hit my device!)... but if this means I can no longer use my phone to make purchases, that will be an enormouse shame indeed.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
    09-30-19 01:13 AM
    I have also found that if I go into Google Play Store, tap settings and scroll to the end - it shows:

Play Protect Certification
    "Device is not certified"

I wonder if this relates to the issue... since when and why did Google Play Store get unhappy with my device!
    09-30-19 01:19 AM
    I have also found that if I go into Google Play Store, tap settings and scroll to the end - it shows:

Play Protect Certification
    "Device is not certified"

I wonder if this relates to the issue... since when and why did Google Play Store get unhappy with my device!
    It’s related and if you search threads here and on Android Central you’ll find information on causes.
    09-30-19 06:38 AM
    I am usually very good at searching, but I can not find anything to help me with a cause - can you please provide me with a clue?

I have found instructions on getting the Google Service Framework number and registering this with Google - but this doesn't make my device Play Protect Certified... so there is more to this issue.

I am not running a rogue device with rooted software, this is a KEY2!

I have no explanation as to why since Sunday Google doesnt like me - and it's very frustrating!
    09-30-19 07:25 AM
    I seem to have fixed the Google Play Store "not certified" issue by:

Removed my Google account
    cleared Play Store data
    signed back in.

...but no renewed joy with Google Pay.

Since I was on a roll I cleared the Google Pay data and rebooted, and when I relaunch Google Pay it offers to continue in setting up my cards - but when I try to do so, it says that I must have rooted my device and Google Pay can not be used in the shops.

So fed up!
    09-30-19 04:50 PM
    I seem to have fixed the Google Play Store "not certified" issue by:

cleared Play Store data
    signed back in.

...but no renewed joy with Google Pay.

Since I was on a roll I cleared the Google Pay data and rebooted, and when I relaunch Google Pay it offers to continue in setting up my cards - but when I try to do so, it says that I must have rooted my device and Google Pay can not be used in the shops.

So fed up!
    Sorry, I just noticed your reply. Best to Google Android Pay CrackBerry and go through all the different Google search results that link back here. There are multiple threads, explanations, solutions and disappointments...
    09-30-19 05:24 PM
    OK, all perfectly good again now - such a silly stress!!

I learned that my first obstacle was with Google Play Store.

I was able to resolve the Google Play Store "not certified" issue by:

Within app settings, I cleared Play Store data
    signed back into my Google account

When I then went back into the Google Play Store settings and scrolled to the end, I no longer saw a message showing that I wasn't certified. The joy!

Before I can extend the joy into Google Pay, I also then learned that I need Google Play Store to be showing me the message:

Play Protect certification
    Device is certified

This "Device is certified" message wasn't there for me initially, but at least it was no longer telling me that I WASNT certified. When I cleared app data for Google Pay and tried to re-add the cards it partially remembered (guess it comes from what's linked to Google Play Store payment options) - it was still giving me an error that I've probably rooted my device and wont be able to pay in store.

I had a personal sulk for a while, manually applied the Sept patch through autoload and tried to get some other work done. Such a major pain having to remove my work account, passcode, redo-finger prints, re-initi banking apps and others that use fingerprint login etc etc.

But, after all done I went back into Google Play Store and was only now able to see the "Device is certified" message.

This time I app cleared data for Google Pay, then launched Google Pay and I was able to successfully active my banking cards.

Not sure if I just needed to wait a while, have 2 reboots whilst in a standing position - can't be sure that the Sept patch was really needed - but something in this sequence had my device now certified in Play Store - and that was obviously key to it all.

Hope this all helps someone else.
    TI_Master likes this.
    09-30-19 07:48 PM
    It’s likely the Sept patch is needed. Maybe someone else can verify. Android Pay has stricter requirements about keeping up with certain patches to remain in certification.
    09-30-19 08:16 PM
    It’s likely the Sept patch is needed. Maybe someone else can verify. Android Pay has stricter requirements about keeping up with certain patches to remain in certification.
    It shouldn't REALLY matter but sometimes Google Pay is super finicky and gets out of whack. Unfortunately, it's not even just a BlackBerry thing. It happens across the board, as Chuck mentioned, the cases of it on Android Central are more notable in quantity.
    antony99 likes this.
    10-01-19 07:23 PM