Btw, what are they going to do about the new swipe up gesture? 'Cause the buttons on the bottom can't be replaced with the new gesture button... I do hope they give us the swipe up gesture as I want my webOS-style multitasking (which Pie is bringing to the table)! #stillmisswebos
    08-07-18 07:08 AM
    Wait until priv got an oreo
    08-07-18 07:19 AM
    I’d be keen to see Android P this year sometime.. I swear they said they would start rolling this out quickly... or is it over promising and under delivering? Lol

Maybe an executive from BB reads this ?!?!
    <SOURCE>

Never have I heard BlackBerry or BBMo say anything about Android PIE "this" year. Android PIE might come sooner than in the past (Project Treble), but normally you wouldn't see OEMs updating past devices until 1st quarter of next year...

August (if it makes it) is late, KEYone really should have gotten OREO by April/May... but it is what it is.

The question is.... do revenues from BBMo and Optiemus cover development cost for BlackBerry? Are BBMo and Optiemus sales growing? Is this a stable business model?
    Question might not be when will Android PIE come, but if it will. I doubt anyone at BBMo or BlackBerry are concerned with Android PIE, until they see if sales of the KEY2 and KEY2 LE exceed KEYone sales.
    08-07-18 07:46 AM
    I've just installed it on my Pixel and I have to say I like the functionality. I don't think the K2 needs it tho with those capacitive keys above the keyboard tho.
    08-07-18 07:55 AM
    You'd best summon your patience.
    08-07-18 08:00 AM
    Next it will be Q!!! THE HORROR!
    Calling it now... Android Quiche. 😂😂😂
    08-07-18 08:35 AM
    Calling it now... Android Quiche. ������������������
    Yeah there are already list out there of "Q" deserts.... most we in the west haven never heard of.

Quiche has been suggested, but it's a stretch to consider it a desert. Might be time to just fall back to numbers... and leave it at that.
    08-07-18 09:21 AM

Never have I heard BlackBerry or BBMo say anything about Android PIE "this" year. Android PIE might come sooner than in the past (Project Treble), but normally you wouldn't see OEMs updating past devices until 1st quarter of next year...

August (if it makes it) is late, KEYone really should have gotten OREO by April/May... but it is what it is.

The question is.... do revenues from BBMo and Optiemus cover development cost for BlackBerry? Are BBMo and Optiemus sales growing? Is this a stable business model?
    Question might not be when will Android PIE come, but if it will. I doubt anyone at BBMo or BlackBerry are concerned with Android PIE, until they see if sales of the KEY2 and KEY2 LE exceed KEYone sales.
    Michael Fisher said P is promised, so the question remains "when", not " if".

And yes, I know he doesn't work for BB/TCL, but he's always reliable and honest, so he wouldn't say things that aren't true.
    08-07-18 01:01 PM
    Michael Fisher said P is promised, so the question remains "when", not " if".

And yes, I know he doesn't work for BB/TCL, but he's always reliable and honest, so he wouldn't say things that aren't true.
    I think point that Dunt is making is whether their is something after Key2 and Key2 LE. For Pie to make it to BBMo/TCL devices, BBMo/TCL still needs to be in the International Mobile device hardware space...
    08-07-18 01:37 PM
    Assume an Android Pie beta would start when Android Q drops.
    You are quite optimistic, I was going for a S or T...
    08-07-18 02:19 PM
    I think point that Dunt is making is whether their is something after Key2 and Key2 LE. For Pie to make it to BBMo/TCL devices, BBMo/TCL still needs to be in the International Mobile device hardware space...
    If KEY2 and KEY2 LE are moderately successful, why not?
    08-07-18 02:22 PM
    If KEY2 and KEY2 LE are moderately successful, why not?
    That’s what Dunt was saying... That BBMo/TCL needs to see improvement with Key2 and Key2 LE increasing sales over KEYone. We’re coming on the end of year 2 at beginning of 2019.
    08-07-18 02:40 PM
    That’s what Dunt was saying... That BBMo/TCL needs to see improvement with Key2 and Key2 LE increasing sales over KEYone. We’re coming on the end of year 2 at beginning of 2019.
    Well they should probably hurry up with that LE then...

I think price is a big issue for many people. Something in the 500 range is easier to justify forking the dough over something in the 600 and up.

CNET opened a poll a few weeks ago and asked non-BB users what is the main reason keeping them from using a BB...

Android P when??-screenshot_20180807-215743.jpg
    08-07-18 02:58 PM

I think price is a big issue for many people. Something in the 500 range is easier to justify forking the dough over something in the 600 and up.

CNET opened a poll a few weeks ago and asked non-BB users what is the main reason keeping them from using a BB...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180807-215743.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	438781
    Biggest problem with that data is no one significant data point but several that overlap within any reasonable margin of error. Price will always be a problem and is a function of the other survey concerns. Profit is necessary or no hardware. Appears BBMo/TCL isn’t willing to operate at breakeven.
    08-07-18 11:57 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180807-215743.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	438781
    People actually voted "I won't be able to install my favorite apps" LMAO. They probably don't even know BB's are running Android now.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-08-18 03:42 AM
    People actually voted "I won't be able to install my favorite apps" LMAO. They probably don't even know BB's are running Android now.
    And have been since late 2015
    08-08-18 03:46 AM
    That's part of the problem. People still think you're referring to BBOS or BB10 when you say BlackBerry.
    08-08-18 09:53 AM
    I guess it would only be sensible to install once the Keythree gets rid of the capacitance buttons?

The Reigster are fairly damning - claiming that this is a half way house only - to a swipe based interface

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...droid_p_means/

Posted via CB10
    08-08-18 10:09 AM
    I guess it would only be sensible to install once the Keythree gets rid of the capacitance buttons?

The Reigster are fairly damning - claiming that this is a half way house only - to a swipe based interface

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...droid_p_means/

Posted via CB10
    Apparently the Pixel 3 will ship with gestures enabled by default on Pie. So BlackBerry gets to follow up with its own version 1 year later. The triumphant rebirth of BB10 gestures just in time for the 2019 BB10 apocalypse!!!
    the_boon likes this.
    08-08-18 10:20 AM
    Apparently the Pixel 3 will ship with gestures enabled by default on Pie. So BlackBerry gets to follow up with its own version 1 year later. The triumphant rebirth of BB10 gestures just in time for the 2019 BB10 apocalypse!!!
    You mean webOS gestures. Even the multitasking view is straight outta webOS.
    08-08-18 03:12 PM
    Whatever. It's all academic at this point LOL.
    08-08-18 03:18 PM
    What is the actual reason for the long delays?
    The BlackBerry engineering team doesn't just repackage the code. They have a review, development and testing process based on their security model, which is more restrictive than any other Android OEM of which i'm aware. (which is not to say that the other companies that take security seriously, like Samsung, don't do a good job).

My guess is that it's a small team responsible for a moderately large project, and it takes as long as it takes.

The most important thing, for most practical real world users, is simply for the new version of the OS to arrive before support for the old one ends. For me the primary value of a "letter" upgrade in Android is that it adds at least a year to the potential life of the device

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-08-18 03:28 PM
    LG recently released webOS Open Source Edition (not to be confused with OpenWebOS)... Tablets is one of the things that LG mentioned it "could" be used for (no mention of phones).

I think like Samsung and Tizen, LG wants to keep WebOS alive... just in case.
    08-08-18 03:30 PM
    It was already trademarked by HP back in the good ol' webOS days
    They must have bought this trademark / patent then..
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-08-18 03:34 PM
49 12