..I find it a blatant violation of my rights and privacy. I should be able to decide if I want to be blasted in the middle of the night or not....
    Well then you're lucky you don't live beside the civil defence siren like the other guy. As least you can still choose to put your phone in another room for the night to not hear it.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-16-19 04:57 PM
    Those show on my phone, but dont work. The government over rides your options.
    By any chance if you keep your data Wi-fi and Bluetooth turned off at night or do you leave them switched on. You can still program your friend to keep these switched off at night and sleepmode on iPhone springs to mind.
    05-16-19 05:13 PM
    the sound split my brain in half before it blew me out the window.
    You guys have it easy. For the "Presidential Alert" here in the US, my phone turns orange and starts yelling at me about some kind of border emergency that can only be fixed if we all scream for "Tarriff Man" really bigly.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-16-19 07:16 PM
    You guys have it easy. For the "Presidential Alert" here in the US, my phone turns orange and starts yelling at me about some kind of border emergency that can only be fixed if we all scream for "Tarriff Man" really bigly.

I just wet my pants.
    05-16-19 07:39 PM
    We defer on the point of civil rights and liberties. I have every right to modify the sound on my phone if I see fit. I dont care to be woken up about a child at 4am, when i can do NOTHING about it. I have every right to pick and choose which warnings I want loud alerts for (tornado/nuclear attack) and which I want visual but no noise (ex'es fighting about kids custody).

You do realize that the last 3 amber alerts were false right? Not sure what criteria they are using, but they are obviously screwing up. This last one, the kid's mom called herself to let them know she had the kid and was supposed to have the kid. She didn't turn herself in. She had a right to have her kid, it was a custody misunderstanding. There is a HUGE difference.

You are flat out wrong... that alarm will change. You know why... because the public outcry will force a change. Alarm Fatigue is more dangerous. Right now the way they are carrying out the amber alerts is going to cause everyone to silence their phone and stop paying attention to all of them, always. And that's not a good sign.
    What about your right not to be stopped at a police Ride program and having to take a random breathalyzer test?
    05-16-19 08:24 PM
    But Occifer, I was driving just fine until you stopped me on the sidewalk...
    05-19-19 01:50 PM

Now that is funny! I feel for you!
    05-19-19 02:02 PM
    Because it is an invasion of my privacy. Because if I can't control the tone/volume I don't wish to participate. Because it woke me up at 4:57am, then 40 minutes later it delivered another alert. Luckily I turned my phone off. And I heard from people that had it go off as many as 5 times all night.

And because it is not that rare.... it's actually picking up steam and happening more and more often. They are getting into the practice of firing one of these out every time a couple disputes about a kid. It's crying wolf every time.
    It's not your phone... the gov has iT hamstrung
    05-20-19 03:51 PM
    I only get alerts when Tarek El'Moussa from Flip&Flop pistol whips another girldriend...
    05-20-19 03:53 PM
    What about your right not to be stopped at a police Ride program and having to take a random breathalyzer test?
    Actually you do have the right to refuse the breathalyser test.
    05-21-19 08:16 PM
    Sure you can refuse, but it's a criminal offense to do so (Ontario).

The penalty is the same as if you took the test and failed.
    Last edited by conite; 05-21-19 at 08:46 PM.
    05-21-19 08:24 PM
    I don't think you have that right in Canada.

The carriers probably don't have the right to not deliver Emergency Alerts either, except for "to older phones/services". I would guess all the major phone manufactures have agreed to some sort of standard that they have built into their phones, either on their own accord or based on some direction from either the US, the European Union or some other large governing body. So, unless one doesn't want to have a "modern phone", one probably can't exercise many individual rights about not receiving these sorts of Emergency Alerts.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-21-19 08:31 PM
    I don't think you have that right in Canada.

The carriers probably don't have the right to not deliver Emergency Alerts either, except for "to older phones/services". I would guess all the major phone manufactures have agreed to some sort of standard that they have built into their phones, either on their own accord or based on some direction from either the US, the European Union or some other large governing body. So, unless one doesn't want to have a "modern phone", one probably can't exercise many individual rights about not receiving these sorts of Emergency Alerts.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    You can but I guess the penalty is as Conite pointed out. I did not realize how little rights we have
    The only way out of it is if you can prove the officer had no probable cause to demand it in the first place
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 05-21-19 at 09:14 PM.
    05-21-19 08:33 PM
    What a discussion! From potentially life saving Alerts to the minutia of refused compliance for Breathalyzers! Either way folks, you're compromised! Cheers,
    05-21-19 08:48 PM
    What a discussion! From potentially life saving Alerts to the minutia of refused compliance for Breathalyzers! Either way folks, you're compromised! Cheers,
    Don't forget Charlie!
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-21-19 10:18 PM
    Don't forget Charlie!
    Yes of course!
    Last edited by Crusader03; 05-22-19 at 03:18 PM.
    05-21-19 10:27 PM
    Sure you can refuse, but it's a criminal offense to do so (Ontario).

The penalty is the same as if you took the test and failed.
    Which I completely disagree with. I do feel the current federal government (Canada) is coming up with policies that are far too over reaching. Again... much like the amber alert, I'm not AGAINST IT, im against how its delivered. I am not pro drunk driving. But some of the new laws in Canada are going too far.... they can come and arrest you at your house hours later .... I'm all for RIDE programs, but you are on public roads... thats a whole set of other laws. An amber alert on a personal phone is intrusive in a different way.
    05-22-19 01:36 AM
    Don't forget Charlie!
    Charlie totally needed an Amber Alert. He was the only one in real danger. Custody spats are not amber alerts.
    05-22-19 01:38 AM
    .... they can come and arrest you at your house hours later ....
    That's a possible example that was taken completely out of context (not by you - by the media that first reported on it), in my opinion, for the sole purpose of creating a raging headline. It seems to me that for a charge based on such an action to survive, the burden of proof would be massive and only survive if there were many witnesses (ie: I saw him smashing around on the road, I saw him pull into his driveway, I was there at his house with him and I saw he had only one extra drink in the one hour between when he parked his car in his driveway and when you guys finally caught up with him when he was passed out in his lounger, I am an expert and there is no way that his blood alcohol levels being that elevated could have been tipped that far in excess by that single extra drink he took in that one hour after he stopped driving.....).

Frankly, I kind of think the possibility of them being able to arrest someone in their home afterwards is ok, as long as it does not get abused (and I admit there seems like some small possibility that it could be successfully abused).

Similarly, I think the Emergency Alerts are a good idea even if they wake us up at night, while I also think they might need to still fine-tune use of the system a bit more. As one of the other replies indicated, if they don't it will start to turn people off and people will start to tune them out.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-22-19 04:36 AM
    Which I completely disagree with. I do feel the current federal government (Canada) is coming up with policies that are far too over reaching. Again... much like the amber alert, I'm not AGAINST IT, im against how its delivered. I am not pro drunk driving. But some of the new laws in Canada are going too far.... they can come and arrest you at your house hours later .... I'm all for RIDE programs, but you are on public roads... thats a whole set of other laws. An amber alert on a personal phone is intrusive in a different way.
    Free healthcare or extra freedoms, not looking to oversimplify, but no system is perfect and best of intentions can result in unintended consequences, in any country. It’s that slippery icy slope everyone worries about...
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-22-19 07:22 AM
    Free healthcare or extra freedoms, not looking to oversimplify, but no system is perfect and best of intentions can result in unintended consequences, in any country. It’s that slippery icy slope everyone worries about...
    And lets not forget the right to grow and smoke your own marijuana is a beautiful thing
    05-26-19 06:27 AM
    I've never had an issue with how the Amber Alert or Silver Alert is delivered. It happens infrequently, and if it results in saving lives I can live with the occasional disturbance in my idyllic life. I certainly don't consider it an invasion of my privacy any more than the testing of the emergency sirens or unexpected email or text weather alert messages I get from my local weather station.
    TgeekB and anon(10387168) like this.
    05-26-19 08:23 AM
    Lots of debate about how well the Alert Ready System worked (how well it didn't work) in the Ottawa area yesterday for the Tornado.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    06-03-19 07:04 PM
    mine went off silently. I didn't look at my phone until hours later so knew nothing about the alert until then.
    06-03-19 09:06 PM
    I my personal opinion, I feel that Amber Alerts are fine if they would just classify the alerts properly as an Amber Alert. Because in Ontario they don't classify the messages correctly and send everything out as a "Presidential Alert", your forced to accept them as-is. So all the other sub-classifications that were provisioned for this system are essentially useless, regardless if Android actually knows how to deal with them separately.

All this does is make people irritated, and I would argue, make people go out of their way not to care about Amber Alerts out of spite. If your sleeping in Toronto and something just happened in Ottawa, you don't need to receive an Amber Alert for it. Your not going to just suddenly wake up, get out of bed, and start looking. Let alone, travel all the way to Ottawa to help search.
    06-04-19 10:04 AM
100 ... 234