It appears to be true. My mom's phone was only on 4G, and she didnt get it.
    Plainly stated on the Alert Ready site.

I didn’t receive an alert, how do I know my device is compatible to receive alerts?

In order for a wireless device to be capable of receiving an alert three broad conditions must be met.

The wireless device must be:

- A wireless public alerting (WPA) compatible device, like a smartphone, capable of connecting to an LTE network (LTE is commonly referred to as “4G LTE”); and
    - Equipped with the latest version of its operating software; and
    - Connected to an LTE cellular network at the time the emergency alert is issued or joins the network while the alert is still active.
    - Older cell phones that operate exclusively on non-LTE networks will not get an alert.

It is very important to verify your device’s compatibility with your service provider, and to understand what may impact your ability to receive an alert even if your device is identified as compatible. If your device was purchased outside of Canada, it may be necessary for you to contact the device manufacturer for additional information for your specific device.

In addition to wireless, alerts will also be available on TV and radio. Distributing alerts on multiple platforms helps ensure you receive this important information directly, or are near someone who has.
    05-15-19 01:31 PM
    I use my old Priv as a clock, no Sim installed and no WiFi or anything turned on. Basically airplane mode. Yet I still got blown out of my window at 4am the other night by an Amber alert. And apparently I can't disable the alerts unless I put in a sim. Bizarre!

Most of these alerts should be seen and not heard. Unless it is an actual, immediate threat that I can do something about.
    Now people are being blown out windows.
    05-15-19 04:48 PM
    This is correct. The one exception that we cannot turn off I believe, is the Presidential emergency alerts. The other alerts can be all turned off.

I know we’re such a bad place here in the USA with all of the freedoms we enjoy and misuse. The best freedom is our freedom to be as wise or as stupid as we choose to be. LMAO
    Yes, mostly stupid.
    05-15-19 04:49 PM
    Now people are being blown out windows.
    the sound split my brain in half before it blew me out the window.
    spARTacus, Vistaus and TgeekB like this.
    05-16-19 12:14 AM
    Amber alerts are not issued blindly. There is a lot of criteria that has to be met before an Amber Alert is issued. That last thing that the police forces want is people to start ignoring them because they issue them too often. Are they good. YES. Do they work. YES. Is it annoying to get it on your phone in the middle of the night YES. Do I personally want them to stop NO.

Don't forget these alert systems are for more than just Amber alerts. Things like imminent Tornado warnings and other destructive natural disaster type events are also broadcast through this system. Last year, I was camping and received an alert about possible tornadoes. I found that very useful as I could make a decision as to what to do with my family. We weren't far from home so we went home.
    Was there a tornado. Not that time but I am still happy that I had the opportunity to decide. Do I want to be awaken in the middle of the night because there is a tornado. ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Should carriers and governments allow us to modify the ring tone. NO. That defeats the point of having an alert if everyone disables it so it doesn't disturb them. I used to be a volunteer firefighter and although it wasn't annoying to me to be waken up by the pager, it was very disruptive to my wife. For some things being startled awake makes a difference and allows us to react more appropriately.

All the complaining that is happening here and on many other forums along with people calling 911 to complain is not going to change anything. The system will get better as it matures. Do I personally need to know of an Amber Alert at 5am. NO. But I would like to know when I wake up so I can keep a lookout if necessary.

For the record this most recent event was initiated in Sudbury which is where I live and I do not feel that it was issued needlessly. As others have stated it did work in this case as the mother turned herself in. Hindsight is 20/20 and everyone can look back and say that it wasn't necessary in this case but the police forces acted based on the information they had.

I hear your pain as I don't like being disturbed from sleep by a wailing alarm but I am going to continue to live with it because it works.

J...
    05-16-19 08:03 AM
    Lets revisit this topic.

If you live in Ontario, you know why. At 4:57am a nuclear siren went off next to my ear. Woke me up into nearly a heart attack, and I have a headache I still can't shake.

Anyone posting about "if it was your kid... blabla"... stop. I am NOT against the amber alert. I am against it invading my phone and me not being able to control how, when and what tone it uses.

It is a total and complete lack of the most basic civil liberties to have that detonate next to my head in the middle of the night, on a service I pay for, on a device I paid for.

Is there any way at all to disable the WAP from a back end? I know that it is sent out by the provider. But have there been any workarounds yet?
    Switch to Freedom Mobile, you're guaranteed not to get the alert then
    05-16-19 11:08 AM
    I am in Ontario and there is a way to control the sound. I am not sure what I did but mine did not blare at 5 am but had the typed version waiting for me when I woke up.

is it possible that since I have my device set to total silence (beside for alarms) overnight that silences it?
    I doubt it but again it depends on phone manufacturer and where it's is intended for.
    Maybe your emergency notifications are set properly.

I heard that Canada or Ontario wants to change the law so you can't disable or mute the notifications at all. This will prove to be a very controversial move.
    05-16-19 11:56 AM
    I doubt it but again it depends on phone manufacturer and where it's is intended for.

I heard that Canada or Ontario wants to change the law so you can't disable or mute the notifications at all. This will prove to be a very controversial move.
    Scroll down. Frisco and Connie reported the same.

I am on a Rogers device that I bought in an Ottawa Rogers store.
    05-16-19 12:22 PM
    I like your sense of humor!
    05-16-19 01:45 PM

I don't find the move controversial at all. Alerts are there for a reason, I for one need (not want), but need to know. Volume is set to max, why, because it is an alert! This to me is a very good extension and use of the technology. In Canada, the alerts also come on the TV if it is on. Just my humble opinion.
    05-16-19 02:24 PM
    What phone? You must have awesome speakers...

Posted via CB10
    05-16-19 02:28 PM
    I don't find the move controversial at all. Alerts are there for a reason, I for one need (not want), but need to know. Volume is set to max, why, because it is an alert! This to me is a very good extension and use of the technology. In Canada, the alerts also come on the TV if it is on. Just my humble opinion.
    I don't find it controversial, I find it a blatant violation of my rights and privacy. I should be able to decide if I want to be blasted in the middle of the night or not or in a meeting or at the theatre or sneaking up on an unsuspecting victim in the alley.
    05-16-19 02:47 PM
    I don't find it controversial, I find it a blatant violation of my rights and privacy. I should be able to decide if I want to be blasted in the middle of the night or not or in a meeting or at the theatre or sneaking up on an unsuspecting victim in the alley.
    If you're in a meeting, all participants phones will go off, in Canada anyway.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-16-19 02:55 PM
    If you're in a meeting, all participants phones will go off, in Canada anyway.
    Regardless you know what I mean crusader
    05-16-19 03:04 PM
    I do. I consider it like a Fire Drill, same outcome during a meeting with no evacuation.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-16-19 03:07 PM
    You can disable the emergency broadcast system from within Android settings on your BlackBerry keyone and key2 and I have no doubt you can do so on the motive and the Priv as well.

If that does not work you can consider doing away with Wi-Fi calling and the enhanced Wi-Fi services provided by Google's carrier services.

On the Blackberry keyone you may still be able to delete carrier services. Otherwise you can disable carrier services.
    05-16-19 03:15 PM
    I do. I consider it like a Fire Drill, same outcome during a meeting with no evacuation.
    I think it's a great idea and system as long as we retain the right to adjust the volume if we don't want to hear it when we sleep or other.
    I don't mind having an notification consuming my screen making sure I see it. I want to know but the siren is not welcome
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 05-16-19 at 03:38 PM.
    05-16-19 03:24 PM
    Amber alerts are not issued blindly. There is a lot of criteria that has to be met before an Amber Alert is issued. That last thing that the police forces want is people to start ignoring them because they issue them too often. Are they good. YES. Do they work. YES. Is it annoying to get it on your phone in the middle of the night YES. Do I personally want them to stop NO.

Don't forget these alert systems are for more than just Amber alerts. Things like imminent Tornado warnings and other destructive natural disaster type events are also broadcast through this system. Last year, I was camping and received an alert about possible tornadoes. I found that very useful as I could make a decision as to what to do with my family. We weren't far from home so we went home.
    Was there a tornado. Not that time but I am still happy that I had the opportunity to decide. Do I want to be awaken in the middle of the night because there is a tornado. ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Should carriers and governments allow us to modify the ring tone. NO. That defeats the point of having an alert if everyone disables it so it doesn't disturb them. I used to be a volunteer firefighter and although it wasn't annoying to me to be waken up by the pager, it was very disruptive to my wife. For some things being startled awake makes a difference and allows us to react more appropriately.

All the complaining that is happening here and on many other forums along with people calling 911 to complain is not going to change anything. The system will get better as it matures. Do I personally need to know of an Amber Alert at 5am. NO. But I would like to know when I wake up so I can keep a lookout if necessary.

For the record this most recent event was initiated in Sudbury which is where I live and I do not feel that it was issued needlessly. As others have stated it did work in this case as the mother turned herself in. Hindsight is 20/20 and everyone can look back and say that it wasn't necessary in this case but the police forces acted based on the information they had.

I hear your pain as I don't like being disturbed from sleep by a wailing alarm but I am going to continue to live with it because it works.

J...
    We defer on the point of civil rights and liberties. I have every right to modify the sound on my phone if I see fit. I dont care to be woken up about a child at 4am, when i can do NOTHING about it. I have every right to pick and choose which warnings I want loud alerts for (tornado/nuclear attack) and which I want visual but no noise (ex'es fighting about kids custody).

You do realize that the last 3 amber alerts were false right? Not sure what criteria they are using, but they are obviously screwing up. This last one, the kid's mom called herself to let them know she had the kid and was supposed to have the kid. She didn't turn herself in. She had a right to have her kid, it was a custody misunderstanding. There is a HUGE difference.

You are flat out wrong... that alarm will change. You know why... because the public outcry will force a change. Alarm Fatigue is more dangerous. Right now the way they are carrying out the amber alerts is going to cause everyone to silence their phone and stop paying attention to all of them, always. And that's not a good sign.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    05-16-19 04:39 PM
    I like your sense of humor!
    Then you are going to love this.... on Tuesday a 10 yearold Husky named Charlie was stolen from Toronto...... WHERE THE F was the Amber Alert for Charlie? The only true stolen individual in the last 2 months worth of false alarms!
    05-16-19 04:42 PM
    Then you are going to love this.... on Tuesday a 10 yearold Husky named Charlie was stolen from Toronto...... WHERE THE F was the Amber Alert for Charlie? The only true stolen individual in the last 2 months worth of false alarms!
    I am a dog lover so I agree! Everyone within a 100 mile radius should have had their windows blown out!!
    In all seriousness, I hope Charlie is OK.
    BTW, I also have a dog named Charlie.
    05-16-19 04:45 PM
    You can disable the emergency broadcast system from within Android settings on your BlackBerry keyone and key2 and I have no doubt you can do so on the motive and the Priv as well.

If that does not work you can consider doing away with Wi-Fi calling and the enhanced Wi-Fi services provided by Google's carrier services.

On the Blackberry keyone you may still be able to delete carrier services. Otherwise you can disable carrier services.
    No you can't the Canadian government overrides the settings, they won't let you turn them off.
    05-16-19 04:47 PM
    I went right to a visual of you in an Alligator Alley..... Just some FL humor.....
    05-16-19 04:50 PM
    No you can't the Canadian government overrides the settings, they won't let you turn them off.
    And Google carrier services what of that it's not needed for normal phone and normal SMS
    I am a dog lover so I agree! Everyone within a 100 mile radius should have had their windows blown out!!
    In all seriousness, I hope Charlie is OK.
    BTW, I also have a dog named Charlie.
    Charlie was found safe today. His kidnappers ran away. My point still stands
    TgeekB likes this.
    The gubment always knows best.....
    05-16-19 04:51 PM
100 1234