Here in the US we have the option to turn on the Emergency Broadcasts or turn them off....
    Playing around with the "Emergency Broadcast" setting (hub setting) is irrelevant here in Canada with BB10 on Telus for the Canadian Emergency Notification System. For that setting, it appears to need a channel ID (no idea what that is for), and apparently no relation at all to how the system is implemented here in Canada.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-14-19 06:57 PM
    NL-Alert worked fine for me on BB10 with my SIM inserted, so I guess it's country-depended whether or not they supported BB10.
    I get these alerts and can toggle them individually on my Z10 on AT&T in the US:

Severe Threat Alert
    Extreme Threat Alert
    Amber Alert
    Presidential Alert
    Bob80220 likes this.
    05-14-19 07:09 PM
    I get these alerts and can toggle them individually on my Z10 on AT&T in the US...
    Hub setting, emergency broadcast?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-14-19 07:16 PM
    I am in Ontario and there is a way to control the sound. I am not sure what I did but mine did not blare at 5 am but had the typed version waiting for me when I woke up.

is it possible that since I have my device set to total silence (beside for alarms) overnight that silences it?
    Same here. Had my phone in silent mode and only got the visual alert.
    05-14-19 07:52 PM
    I use my old Priv as a clock, no Sim installed and no WiFi or anything turned on. Basically airplane mode. Yet I still got blown out of my window at 4am the other night by an Amber alert. And apparently I can't disable the alerts unless I put in a sim. Bizarre!

Most of these alerts should be seen and not heard. Unless it is an actual, immediate threat that I can do something about.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    05-14-19 08:11 PM
    I'm Canadian, I get Alerts, they are very loud! Thank God! It's an Alert! Just my 2 cents worth.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    05-14-19 08:20 PM
    I use my old Priv as a clock, no Sim installed and no WiFi or anything turned on. Basically airplane mode. Yet I still got blown out of my window at 4am the other night by an Amber alert. And apparently I can't disable the alerts unless I put in a sim. Bizarre!...
    What? How are they getting delivered? Is the Priv still locked to a carrier?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-14-19 08:33 PM
    What? How are they getting delivered? Is the Priv still locked to a carrier?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    It's unlocked. I was truly baffled as well. I can only guess that cell towers can still communicate with the phone radio, even with no Sim. I don't like it!
    05-14-19 08:35 PM
    It's unlocked. I was truly baffled as well. I can only guess that cell towers can still communicate with the phone radio, even with no Sim. I don't like it!
    I could understand that, since even phones without sims can still make emergency calls. However, with airplane mode on (radio disabled) I'd think you'd not get the alerts.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-14-19 08:38 PM
    Here in the US we have the option to turn on the Emergency Broadcasts or turn them off. I prefer to keep them on and that is a personal choice I make for ALL the right reasons. I won't debate or respond to those who find Emergency Broadcasts annoying... ������

Bob
    This is correct. The one exception that we cannot turn off I believe, is the Presidential emergency alerts. The other alerts can be all turned off.

I know we’re such a bad place here in the USA with all of the freedoms we enjoy and misuse. The best freedom is our freedom to be as wise or as stupid as we choose to be. LMAO
    05-14-19 09:47 PM
    This is correct. The one exception that we cannot turn off I believe, is the Presidential emergency alerts. The other alerts can be all turned off.

I know we’re such a bad place here in the USA with all of the freedoms we enjoy and misuse. The best freedom is our freedom to be as wise or as stupid as we choose to be. LMAO
    I just discovered the AMBER menu - on mine I can turn all or any of them off (UK 100-8). Reading the thread I was initially led to believe it was a broadcast system for warning imminent nuclear attacks etc, but the explanation says it is to do with child abduction. Is this not country specific then, as I have not come across such a system in the UK? Presumably in some places the law requires maximum sound be emitted without the option of user selecrively switching it off.
    05-15-19 12:08 AM
    So if your location services are turned off (BB10), does this stop the message being sent to you?
    If you did not get a carrier phone (BB10 ) purchased an unlocked phone) does this stop the message being sent?
    Maybe they have a potential PTSD or medical issues user database and don't send to those phones (lol).
    Curious some with these settings didn't get those annoying middle of the night, far away from the scene of the alert wake up calls. Another reason to use bb10 when you want to get a good nights sleep (not just that security kind of feeling) (lol)?
    05-15-19 01:18 AM

Same - I don't even get an option to disable presidential alerts. However, I can disable full volume, and it respects DND.
    05-15-19 04:12 AM
    Lets revisit this topic.

If you live in Ontario, you know why. At 4:57am a nuclear siren went off next to my ear. Woke me up into nearly a heart attack, and I have a headache I still can't shake.

Anyone posting about "if it was your kid... blabla"... stop. I am NOT against the amber alert. I am against it invading my phone and me not being able to control how, when and what tone it uses.

It is a total and complete lack of the most basic civil liberties to have that detonate next to my head in the middle of the night, on a service I pay for, on a device I paid for.

Is there any way at all to disable the WAP from a back end? I know that it is sent out by the provider. But have there been any workarounds yet?
    My phone is on vibrate/dnd, so I didn't hear mine go off. I hope they find the child.
    05-15-19 05:03 AM
    I just discovered the AMBER menu - on mine I can turn all or any of them off (UK 100-8). Reading the thread I was initially led to believe it was a broadcast system for warning imminent nuclear attacks etc, but the explanation says it is to do with child abduction. Is this not country specific then, as I have not come across such a system in the UK? Presumably in some places the law requires maximum sound be emitted without the option of user selecrively switching it off.
    I’m definitely not sure about each country requirements. I suppose your carrier SIM card for it’s default location adjusts your firmware to meet regulatory settings for that country only.
    05-15-19 07:25 AM
    My phone is on vibrate/dnd, so I didn't hear mine go off. I hope they find the child.
    Mine is on vibrate too and I heard it. I usually don't, but for some reason the number of vibrations was much more (i believe it was about 5 of them, instead of the normal 2). It was definitely enough to wake me, which is surprising. What I wasn't able to determine was if the vibrations were actually louder. Doesn't sound feasible, but usually i am a very sound sleeper.

In regards to shutting it off, I had heard that for Ontario (and maybe applies to Canada), the alerts are sent via LTE. So, if at night, you switch to GSM network, you likely would not get the alerts. Not sure if that is true, but if it bothers you that much, it is worth a try.
    05-15-19 10:35 AM
    Oh ... and apparently through the alerts, the child was found in Toronto.
    Bob80220 and anon(10387168) like this.
    05-15-19 10:36 AM
    I had my phone on priority mode when this last one came through, and there was no audible alert - visual only.
    05-15-19 10:47 AM
    Here in the Netherlands, it's not even used for child abduction cases. Besides the monthly testing, it's used for alerts about terrorist attacks, shootings, nearby fires, when there are too many people attending a big event (to prevent what happened at e.g. the Love Parade in Germany), etc. For missing persons (including children), we have Burgernet, which sends out text messages (SMS).
    05-15-19 12:07 PM
    So if your location services are turned off (BB10), does this stop the message being sent to you?
    If you did not get a carrier phone (BB10 ) purchased an unlocked phone) does this stop the message being sent?
    Maybe they have a potential PTSD or medical issues user database and don't send to those phones (lol).
    Curious some with these settings didn't get those annoying middle of the night, far away from the scene of the alert wake up calls. Another reason to use bb10 when you want to get a good nights sleep (not just that security kind of feeling) (lol)?
    I had location services disabled when I used to use BB10 and these alerts still popped up, so it doesn't use location services.
    05-15-19 12:09 PM
    They found the child. The mother called in herself, she had custody of her kid and wasnt doing anything wrong. Just another reason this system is purely implemented.

Nobody is arguing about kids being found, but about HOW the alert is being delivered.
    05-15-19 12:11 PM
    Mine is on vibrate too and I heard it. I usually don't, but for some reason the number of vibrations was much more (i believe it was about 5 of them, instead of the normal 2). It was definitely enough to wake me, which is surprising. What I wasn't able to determine was if the vibrations were actually louder. Doesn't sound feasible, but usually i am a very sound sleeper.

In regards to shutting it off, I had heard that for Ontario (and maybe applies to Canada), the alerts are sent via LTE. So, if at night, you switch to GSM network, you likely would not get the alerts. Not sure if that is true, but if it bothers you that much, it is worth a try.
    It appears to be true. My mom's phone was only on 4G, and she didnt get it.
    05-15-19 12:12 PM
    I had my phone on priority mode when this last one came through, and there was no audible alert - visual only.
    Whats 'priority' mode? And how do I activate that on a key2?
    05-15-19 12:14 PM
    Whats 'priority' mode? And how do I activate that on a key2?
    Same as any close to stock Android device.

Toggle between modes on the quick settings menu, and configure it in settings, sounds, do not disturb preferences.
    05-15-19 12:26 PM
    I can disable or mute in CT, USA as well.
    05-15-19 12:44 PM
100 1234