Lets revisit this topic.

If you live in Ontario, you know why. At 4:57am a nuclear siren went off next to my ear. Woke me up into nearly a heart attack, and I have a headache I still can't shake.

Anyone posting about "if it was your kid... blabla"... stop. I am NOT against the amber alert. I am against it invading my phone and me not being able to control how, when and what tone it uses.

It is a total and complete lack of the most basic civil liberties to have that detonate next to my head in the middle of the night, on a service I pay for, on a device I paid for.

Is there any way at all to disable the WAP from a back end? I know that it is sent out by the provider. But have there been any workarounds yet?
    05-14-19 11:55 AM
    Why do you want to disable it?
    It is very cool, very rare to happen and affectionate.
    05-14-19 11:59 AM
    Same goes for NL-Alert (Netherlands): no way to control it. I'll follow this topic to see if someone comes up with a workaround to at least control the volume level.
    05-14-19 12:00 PM
    Not all of these are rare. NL-Alert (Netherlands) is tested 1x a month and so far this year I've received about 11 "real" alerts on top of that. A way to at least control the volume would be nice.
    05-14-19 12:02 PM
    Not all of these are rare. NL-Alert (Netherlands) is tested 1x a month and so far I've received about 11 "real" alerts on top of that. A way to at least control the volume would be nice.
    That's crazy!
    I got only one along the last four years in the USA.
    05-14-19 12:04 PM
    Because it is an invasion of my privacy. Because if I can't control the tone/volume I don't wish to participate. Because it woke me up at 4:57am, then 40 minutes later it delivered another alert. Luckily I turned my phone off. And I heard from people that had it go off as many as 5 times all night.

And because it is not that rare.... it's actually picking up steam and happening more and more often. They are getting into the practice of firing one of these out every time a couple disputes about a kid. It's crying wolf every time.
    05-14-19 01:58 PM
    Not all of these are rare. NL-Alert (Netherlands) is tested 1x a month and so far this year I've received about 11 "real" alerts on top of that. A way to at least control the volume would be nice.
    EXACTLY! I dont mind getting the alerts. I want to control the tone/volume.
    05-14-19 01:59 PM
    Lets revisit this topic.

If you live in Ontario, you know why. At 4:57am a nuclear siren went off next to my ear. Woke me up into nearly a heart attack, and I have a headache I still can't shake.

Anyone posting about "if it was your kid... blabla"... stop. I am NOT against the amber alert. I am against it invading my phone and me not being able to control how, when and what tone it uses.

It is a total and complete lack of the most basic civil liberties to have that detonate next to my head in the middle of the night, on a service I pay for, on a device I paid for.

Is there any way at all to disable the WAP from a back end? I know that it is sent out by the provider. But have there been any workarounds yet?
    Take it up with your Government and carriers. It's only going to get deeper integration. Technically, if you have a device now that is capable of changing the tones/loudness, it's out of spec for the requirements. Turn your phone off or mute it (if it works on your device), the only thing to do.
    TgeekB and deezy87 like this.
    05-14-19 04:02 PM
    Take it up with your Government and carriers.
    Dear Government,
    Last night a “nuclear siren” went off next to my ear. Please fix this.
    Yours truly,
    A concerned citizen
    05-14-19 04:08 PM
    Dear Government,
    Last night a “nuclear siren” went off next to my ear. Please fix this.
    Yours truly,
    A concerned citizen
    Pretty much. Which of course, I assume they immed. file under 'Did not read', but hey.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-14-19 04:09 PM
    Is it just in UK we have option to turn these off?

Ignorance rules!
    Attached Thumbnails Amber Alert...  continued-27576.jpg  
    05-14-19 04:28 PM
    What bothers me is that in Canada the implementation sucks, in my opinion. The carriers can send you SMS messages when ever they want (like when you get close to the border and periodically start pinging back and forth from other towers) but the implementation of the Amber and Emergency Notification Service doesn't use carrier driven SMS. Instead, it uses some sort of advanced integrated messaging service that does not exist or is not usable in BB10 phones, or it has to ride on top of WeatherApp warnings/alerts. Shortsighted in my opinion.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-14-19 04:32 PM
    What bothers me is that in Canada the implementation sucks, in my opinion. The carriers can send you SMS messages when ever they want (like when you get close to the border and periodically start pinging back and forth from other towers) but the implementation of the Amber and Emergency Notification Service doesn't use carrier driven SMS. Instead, it uses some sort of advanced integrated messaging service that does not exist or is not usable in BB10 phones, or it has to ride on top of WeatherApp warnings/alerts. Shortsighted in my opinion.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    It wasn't fully required to capacity it is now when BB10 came out.
    05-14-19 04:37 PM
    Take it up with your Government and carriers. It's only going to get deeper integration. Technically, if you have a device now that is capable of changing the tones/loudness, it's out of spec for the requirements. Turn your phone off or mute it (if it works on your device), the only thing to do.
    Muting doesn't block it on my device and I can't turn my phone off during the day (when most of the alerts over here are pushed).
    05-14-19 04:38 PM
    Muting doesn't block it on my device and I can't turn my phone off during the day (when most of the alerts over here are pushed).
    Indeed, it goes by country/carrier/system. Hence why I said IF it works on your device. A couple of my devices will show the alert but not sound when set not to.

From Alert Ready Canada:

Will I receive an emergency alert if my wireless device is off or set to silent?

A compatible wireless device that is turned off will not receive an emergency alert. If when the device is powered on and the emergency alert is still active and the user is still in the alert area, then the wireless device will display the alert.

A compatible wireless device that is set to silent will display an emergency alert, but you might not hear the emergency alert sound. The emergency alert sound will usually play at whatever the current volume setting is on the wireless device, so if your wireless device is set to silent, no sound will accompany the emergency alert message. However, this behaviour can differ depending on your wireless device and in some instances the alert sound may override your user settings.
    I wonder how many people freak about them interrupting their TV shows?
    05-14-19 04:42 PM
    Understood, but in my opinion the requirements sucked. For an "emergency notification service", it should have been more lowest common denominator in my opinion. No reason why it couldn't simply have been implemented using carrier driven SMS. That way, any phone capable of SMS (even if not with an SMS plan) could be covered.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Vistaus likes this.
    05-14-19 04:46 PM
    I am in Ontario and there is a way to control the sound. I am not sure what I did but mine did not blare at 5 am but had the typed version waiting for me when I woke up.

is it possible that since I have my device set to total silence (beside for alarms) overnight that silences it?
    05-14-19 04:56 PM

Ignorance rules!
    Here in the US we have the option to turn on the Emergency Broadcasts or turn them off. I prefer to keep them on and that is a personal choice I make for ALL the right reasons. I won't debate or respond to those who find Emergency Broadcasts annoying... ������

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Amber Alert...  continued-34175.jpg  
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-14-19 05:01 PM
    Instead, it uses some sort of advanced integrated messaging service that does not exist or is not usable in BB10 phones, or it has to ride on top of WeatherApp warnings/alerts. Shortsighted in my opinion.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    It's weird, if I take the Sim out of my Z30, there appears an Emergency Alerts category in my hub along with a section in Hub settings to configure the alerts, as soon as I re-insert the Sim it dissappears.
    So BB10 is probably capable but carriers decide to disable the function.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-19 05:07 PM
    It's weird, if I take the Sim out of my Z30, there appears an Emergency Alerts category in my hub along with a section in Hub settings to configure the alerts, as soon as I re-insert the Sim it dissappears.
    So BB10 is probably capable but carriers decide to disable the function.

Posted via CB10
    NL-Alert worked fine for me on BB10 with my SIM inserted, so I guess it's country-depended whether or not they supported BB10.
    05-14-19 05:37 PM
    Here in the US we have the option to turn on the Emergency Broadcasts or turn them off. I prefer to keep them on and that is a personal choice I make for ALL the right reasons. I won't debate or respond to those who find Emergency Broadcasts annoying... 🤔

Bob
    I don't find the alerts annoying, I find the extremely loud volume annoying. I'm 100% fan of these alerts, they're doing the right thing and I keep them on to stay current, but they should allow you to control the volume. That's all I (and the OP) am asking for. I'm sure you will at least agree with that, right?
    05-14-19 05:40 PM
    I don't find the alerts annoying, I find the extremely loud volume annoying. I'm 100% fan of these alerts, they're doing the right thing and I keep them on to stay current, but they should allow you to control the volume. That's all I (and the OP) am asking for. I'm sure you will at least agree with that, right?
    Sure... I agree being able to control the volume would satisfy you and the OP and I can appreciate that. I don't mind the alert volume especially in the event of a Nuclear Attack Alert. I wouldn't want my volume down low and miss that alert. I would want to be awoken so I can see everything around me, including myself, vaporize.

Bob
    john_v likes this.
    05-14-19 05:48 PM
    Sure... I agree being able to control the volume would satisfy you and the OP and I can appreciate that. I don't mind the alert volume especially in the event of a Nuclear Attack Alert. I wouldn't want my volume down low and miss that alert. I would want to be awoken so I can see everything around me, including myself, vaporize.

Bob
    Not sure about the US, but here in the Netherlands, a civil defense siren also alerts me from the outside. And that thing is much better as it's loud enough to wake me up, but not loud enough to give me a heart attack like NL-Alert does on my phone. So in any case, I wouldn't miss said nuclear alert anyway as said siren already wakes me up to warn me.
    05-14-19 05:56 PM

Ignorance rules!
    Those show on my phone, but dont work. The government over rides your options.
    05-14-19 06:08 PM
    ...if I take the Sim out of my Z30, there appears an Emergency Alerts category....

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Talked about that in one of the other threads. General feedback I got was that it was not related to how the alerts are delivered in Canada.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-14-19 06:48 PM
100 123 ...