Mileage may vary, but I will be doing this today as I set up the phone.

I would recommend:

Upon first boot, do not put your sim card in.

Set up the phone on wifi without putting in any accounts.

Once on the home screen, update the apps from store and then update system OS to newest build.

Finally do a complete factory wipe.

At this point insert your sim card and set it up like new without copying any gremlins from a backup.
    croman likes this.
    07-13-18 06:47 PM
    What is rationale for this setup process?
    07-13-18 07:17 PM
    The system being completely up to date with bug fixes before spending a lot of time on setup only to find small nagging issues throughout the os.
    07-13-18 07:26 PM
    Thanks for the tips! What about those of us coming from a BB10 device? Link no longer works on my Mac or Windows 10. I downloaded the "Content Transfer" app that is supposed to build a backup file of my stuff to be stored on the media card. Will that work w/ the Key 2?
    07-13-18 07:26 PM
    Interesting
    07-13-18 07:27 PM
    I'll give this "process" a whirl and let people know how it goes.
    07-13-18 07:29 PM
    Which SD card 64gb did you use? Any particular type? Got a link?
    07-13-18 07:30 PM
    Thanks for the tips! What about those of us coming from a BB10 device? Link no longer works on my Mac or Windows 10. I downloaded the "Content Transfer" app that is supposed to build a backup file of my stuff to be stored on the media card. Will that work w/ the Key 2?
    Best I can think of is to link as much as possible like docs and contacts etc etc to an email account like yahoo google or outlook and then transfer automatically when you set up the account on the new phone. As far as photos etc backup to computer. You will want a freshly formatted SD card in the new phone without any other operating system files on it.

Maybe someone has a better system for this. Sorry I can't offer a better solution.
    07-13-18 07:33 PM
    sorry a super noon here. can you explain in detail the process of "factory rest" before you put the Sim in the phone. When I went to update apps they wanted a sign into Google account. So it appears that you have to log into your account, update apps, and then factor reset?
    07-14-18 01:38 AM
    Good thing WiFi works on the KEY²!
    07-14-18 02:40 AM
    You missed the crucial 1st step - give your phone a complete charge before booting up!
    Marcin Dabrowsky likes this.
    07-14-18 02:46 AM
    sorry a super noon here. can you explain in detail the process of "factory rest" before you put the Sim in the phone. When I went to update apps they wanted a sign into Google account. So it appears that you have to log into your account, update apps, and then factor reset?
    Yes, only use the google login to update the apps. Don't set up any other accounts in the Hub.

I did this exact process yesterday when I got the phone (won't be keeping the phone but that's a different topic). After doing those steps I outlined, after the reset, everything ran smooth as butter without a single hiccup.

This is what I do on any new phone that I receive, including Apple devices.

I don't like restoring from backups, as any backed up corrupter apps or errors will simply make their way to the new phone and give you a bad experience.
    07-14-18 11:15 AM
    Got it. Thanks for letting me know about this process.
    07-14-18 11:30 AM
    Just curious why putting the Sim in would affect the process of updating apps + reset versus not having the Sim card in the phone during update+reset process.
    07-14-18 11:37 AM
    There are carrier-specific settings that are pulled down based on the SIM. This way you get a truly "clean" install prior to any carrier stuff. It's a little OCD but it won't hurt anything.
    07-14-18 03:48 PM
    Lol. Dont let one random guys extreme ocd influence you. None of this is necessary or will "better" your experience. Get the phone pop in your sim charge phone and use phone. Its not too complicated and you will have the same experience as doing all these weird random things in a certain order.
    07-14-18 04:12 PM
    Lol. Dont let one random guys extreme ocd influence you. None of this is necessary or will "better" your experience. Get the phone pop in your sim charge phone and use phone. Its not too complicated and you will have the same experience as doing all these weird random things in a certain order.
    However, you will always wonder...... lol.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    07-14-18 04:27 PM
    It's good to hear from all "experts" on their way of handling new phones and start processes.
    07-14-18 10:28 PM
    Anyone else have advice on initial setup?
    08-04-18 12:47 PM
    Anyone else have advice on initial setup?
    I would try "Get the phone pop in your sim charge phone and use phone. Its not too complicated and you will have the same experience as doing all these weird random things in a certain order." First. If no problems than your off to the races...If problems, then you can always do a factory reset and then do the other approach.
    08-04-18 01:09 PM
    I would try "Get the phone pop in your sim charge phone and use phone. Its not too complicated and you will have the same experience as doing all these weird random things in a certain order." First. If no problems than your off to the races...If problems, then you can always do a factory reset and then do the other approach.
    Definitely sounds like straightforward advice. Thanks!
    08-04-18 01:12 PM