last night all media on my sd card disappeared. It's the craziest thing. I was trying to send a photo on bbm, and it wasn't showing on bbm, i went through Piktures and i could see it, i went back to bbm, not there, i went back to Piktures and everything diapered in front of me, without me touching anything. I went through the file manager all folders showing empty. I connected it to my computer, all folders show empty. Not just photos in my camera folder, but other media i had in other folders. It's insane. I never deleted them.

Is there any way to fix this? Or make them come back?
    06-15-19 12:02 PM
    last night all media on my sd card disappeared. It's the craziest thing. I was trying to send a photo on bbm, and it wasn't showing on bbm, i went through Piktures and i could see it, i went back to bbm, not there, i went back to Piktures and everything diapered in front of me, without me touching anything. I went through the file manager all folders showing empty. I connected it to my computer, all folders show empty. Not just photos in my camera folder, but other media i had in other folders. It's insane. I never deleted them.

Is there any way to fix this? Or make them come back?
    Try using recovery tools on your computer.
    06-15-19 12:33 PM
    Try using recovery tools on your computer.
    ive tried several photo recovery apps on the phone, and they are all garbage.

Im trying one now called Disk Digger and after a lengthy scan it found the files, but its not done the process, not sure if it will garbage out when i have to recover them.

why would files just disappear?
    06-15-19 12:37 PM

why would files just disappear?
    Of that, I can't say. I'd need a complete audit of your device activities prior to the event.
    06-15-19 12:42 PM
    the file digger app recovered stuff that isnt even mine, i guess whoever sold me the memory card as "new", lied.

the path for those files looks like this:

File Name: /storage emulated/0/tencent/micromsg/diskcache/cache.data
    or
    File Name: /storage emulated/0/android/data

not sure if that means anything to anyone
    06-15-19 12:49 PM
    Sorry to hear. Try Ease US Data Recovery. It's quite thorough and you can get a cheap license on Ebay (I purchased v 6.1)

Posted via CB10
    06-15-19 02:47 PM
    SD cards fail fairly often, and should never be assumed to be "safe" for storing important data - and that goes quadruple if you're encrypting it, because a single bad sector will destroy the data. Anything that is important needs to be backed up regularly/constantly, which is why cloud backups are so common, as it solves this exact problem. If you aren't willing to use cloud backup, then you MUST have a great manual process that you employ often and regularly.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-15-19 02:53 PM
    I've been using Pandora file recovery for years and it works great
    06-15-19 06:37 PM
    SD cards fail fairly often, and should never be assumed to be "safe" for storing important data - and that goes quadruple if you're encrypting it, because a single bad sector will destroy the data. Anything that is important needs to be backed up regularly/constantly, which is why cloud backups are so common, as it solves this exact problem. If you aren't willing to use cloud backup, then you MUST have a great manual process that you employ often and regularly.
    All my stuff was backed up, as it automatically uploads onto the cloud. It's still a pain in the add to have to put it all back. You know just the collection of photos one regularly keeps on their phone.... that... i can easily go back on my computer and re select years of that collection and add it again. But it be nice to know why it happened and how i should prevent it in the future.
    06-16-19 01:53 AM
    I've been using Pandora file recovery for years and it works great
    do you happen to have an installation file for that? It doesnt exist anymore.
    06-16-19 02:25 AM
    It's almost certainly just a bad SD card - it's unlikely that the phone (or you) had anything to do with the failure of the card - likely it was the controller on the card that failed.
    06-16-19 02:28 AM