With BB Key2's security patches coming to an end soon, do you think installing an antivirus adds to the phone's security?

I already have the AVG Antivirus Pro installed on my Key2 (Indian variant with outdated security patch), but always been questioning its added value. Of course I make sure not to access shady websites or install unknown apps.

Thanks!
    04-13-20 10:15 AM
    This is one of those can't hurt things. AVG was found to be selling customers info without their knowledge. I deleted mine and went with Net Guard, works great for blocking some apps from tracking you. Also comes with a VPN. Down side is no Anti Virus.
    Jay Rosenthal likes this.
    04-13-20 10:37 AM
    With BB Key2's security patches coming to an end soon, do you think installing an antivirus adds to the phone's security?

I already have the AVG Antivirus Pro installed on my Key2 (Indian variant with outdated security patch), but always been questioning its added value. Of course I make sure not to access shady websites or install unknown apps.

Thanks!
    Anti-virus is a waste of CPU clock cycles. It can't do anything without root access.
    04-13-20 11:47 AM
    Anti-virus is a waste of CPU clock cycles. It can't do anything without root access.
    Even the regular scanning for malware is not effective?
    04-13-20 11:59 AM
    Even the regular scanning for malware is not effective?
    A passive scan every once in a while can't hurt I suppose. You just don't want/need something running all of the time.

Just use something like Malwarebytes, and use Power Centre to prevent it from opening at startup.
    Alfista83 and Rando3000 like this.
    04-13-20 12:01 PM
    A passive scan every once in a while can't hurt I suppose. You just don't want/need something running all of the time.

Just use something like Malwarebytes, and use Power Centre to prevent it from opening at startup.
    Ok I see!
    Wonder what this AVG "real time protection" is all about then, other than draining battery... 😅
    04-13-20 12:56 PM
    This is one of those can't hurt things. AVG was found to be selling customers info without their knowledge. I deleted mine and went with Net Guard, works great for blocking some apps from tracking you. Also comes with a VPN. Down side is no Anti Virus.

Just to clarify, Netguard does not come with a VPN.

Netguard uses the android VPN service in order to monitor and control traffic - it does not send this traffic to a remote VPN server. It either permits the traffic through to its intended destination, or it blocks it.
    Alfista83 and Jake2826 like this.
    04-13-20 01:16 PM
    Just to clarify, Netguard does not come with a VPN.

Netguard uses the android VPN service in order to monitor and control traffic - it does not send this traffic to a remote VPN server. It either permits the traffic through to its intended destination, or it blocks it.
    No it has a VPN the paid version, when I am on I am in NY....yet the phone is in Florida.....................
    04-13-20 05:13 PM
    No it has a VPN the paid version, when I am on I am in NY....yet the phone is in Florida.....................
    Maybe we aren't talking about the same Netguard? www.netguard.me
    04-13-20 07:52 PM
    Maybe we aren't talking about the same Netguard? www.netguard.me
    I think similar famous apps on Google Play are Internet Guard and NoRoot Firewall. Anyone tried those?
    04-14-20 12:37 AM
    I think similar famous apps on Google Play are Internet Guard and NoRoot Firewall. Anyone tried those?
    I've tried NoRoot Firewall but I prefer Netguard because it has Socks Proxy which I use to forward connections to tor.

InternetGuard Data Saver Firewall appears to be a fork (copy) of Netguard which is open source. It also contains google trackers (Netguard does not contain any trackers), even though the app description explicitly states it does not contain trackers.

I would not recommend using InternetGuard Data Saver - Just use Netguard.
    Alfista83 likes this.
    04-14-20 12:54 AM
    I've tried NoRoot Firewall but I prefer Netguard because it has Socks Proxy which I use to forward connections to tor.

InternetGuard Data Saver Firewall appears to be a fork (copy) of Netguard which is open source. It also contains google trackers (Netguard does not contain any trackers), even though the app description explicitly states it does not contain trackers.

I would not recommend using InternetGuard Data Saver - Just use Netguard.
    And I think for Netguard it's better to get it directly from Netguard and not Google Play...
    04-14-20 07:52 AM
    And I think for Netguard it's better to get it directly from Netguard and not Google Play...
    Is there any difference?
    04-14-20 08:06 AM
    Is there any difference?
    The one obtained directly has better ad-blocking features as you might expect.
    Alfista83 likes this.
    04-14-20 08:28 AM
    I use BlackBerry's Cylance Smart Antivirus (known on the Google Play and Apple App Stores as Cylance Mobile Security). I'm fairly careful with the sites I visit and the risk of infection to Android unless you're installing malicious apps is low, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have it.
    wlmss and Rico4you like this.
    04-14-20 09:04 AM
    I use BlackBerry's Cylance Smart Antivirus (known on the Google Play and Apple App Stores as Cylance Mobile Security). I'm fairly careful with the sites I visit and the risk of infection to Android unless you're installing malicious apps is low, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have it.
    Uses resources....

If that's not an issue for you... then yeah it doesn't hurt to have it. If you are using an older phone that wasn't premium to begin with, having a "scanner" app running is going to impact your battery and performance.

Android isn't Windows... and it's pretty locked down. Using basic best practices - no 3rd party downloads, checking permissions, sticking to well know developers, and not clicking on links in unknown emails or using an email link to access your account (does Cylance stop phishing?).

Having a phone that is current on updates, and having it backed up so that you could do a Factory Reset on the fly... is really better than any Antivirus Scanner on Android.

When I start seeing major deployments of any Antivirus solution by Government or IT departments on their own devices... I might change my mind.
    wlmss likes this.
    04-14-20 09:54 AM
    Uses resources....

If that's not an issue for you... then yeah it doesn't hurt to have it. If you are using an older phone that wasn't premium to begin with, having a "scanner" app running is going to impact your battery and performance.

Android isn't Windows... and it's pretty locked down. Using basic best practices - no 3rd party downloads, checking permissions, sticking to well know developers, and not clicking on links in unknown emails or using an email link to access your account (does Cylance stop phishing?).

Having a phone that is current on updates, and having it backed up so that you could do a Factory Reset on the fly... is really better than any Antivirus Scanner on Android.

When I start seeing major deployments of any Antivirus solution by Government or IT departments on their own devices... I might change my mind.
    That was my initial point. If you're using typical antivirus or antimalware, the scans will use significant amounts of precious RAM. xHelper malware shows a factory reset is not always good enough to get rid of malware.

Cylance is not a typical antimalware application. It does not perform scheduled system wide scans- just when files are downloaded or called prior to execution, so allocation of resources is minimal and the AI system allows it to recognize more zero-day threats. Cylance does not stop you from entering credentials based on clicking a link to a faux website, but it will prevent any malware installed that phishes for data from executing.
    Rico4you likes this.
    04-14-20 10:05 AM
    I used to work as a Senior Analyst at BlackBerry. They taught me you have to be very carefully Norton is probably the best so far
    wlmss likes this.
    04-14-20 10:15 AM
    I used to work as a Senior Analyst at BlackBerry. They taught me you have to be very carefully Norton is probably the best so far
    Be very careful about?
    04-14-20 11:08 AM
    How do you think that the motorcycle is favoured by GCHQ and NSA?

Because it constantly revolves around the main engine parts of the super network
    04-27-20 07:44 AM
    How do you think that the motorcycle is favoured by GCHQ and NSA?

Because it constantly revolves around the main engine parts of the super network
    What?!?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-20 04:22 PM
    I've been using AVG Antivirus Pro for the past year.

It has been leaked that the company sold its client information also.
    05-12-20 12:52 PM
    +1 for Malwarebytes

I suppose I'd only use it on my phone if I regularly downloaded apks / exe files that I emailed to others or sent to my PC.

If you stay off sketchy sites, use an updated browser (Chrome and Firefox are regularly updated), and don't install apps from outside the Google Play Store you should be *fine*.
    05-12-20 02:39 PM