12-30-19 04:35 PM
44 12
tools
    Hi,

I'm using a KeyOne bought in Canada almost exacty two years ago. It's starting to show its age. (Keyboard issues, sometimes screen jitter) but otherwise remains an excellent device. I live overseas where BB products are hard to get, but am visiting Canada again. I realize that we are finally reaching the time when PKB devices will disappear from this earth, but should I buy a Key2 in anticipation of its disappearance (to give myself a couple of years extra life on it), or wait for Key3?

Thanks.
    12-22-19 07:04 PM
    You will have a long wait for a KEY3 as it is looking like that ship has sailed. The KEY2 will be EOL in July 2020 it appears.

That being said, if the PKB is important to you as it is for me, sure pick one up. Hopefully you can get one for a decent price too... 👍

Bob
    John Albert and the_boon like this.
    12-22-19 07:59 PM
    Hi,

I'm using a KeyOne bought in Canada almost exacty two years ago. It's starting to show its age. (Keyboard issues, sometimes screen jitter) but otherwise remains an excellent device. I live overseas where BB products are hard to get, but am visiting Canada again. I realize that we are finally reaching the time when PKB devices will disappear from this earth, but should I buy a Key2 in anticipation of its disappearance (to give myself a couple of years extra life on it), or wait for Key3?

Thanks.
    KEY2 is a good phone and if you are interested and can afford it then pull the trigger.
    12-22-19 09:51 PM
    Hi,

Thanks.
    I was going to hold out for a KEY3 but got the KEY2. As time has gone there hasn't been any firm indication when there will be another KEY device. I needed an upgrade so got a KEY2 and I do not regret it. It is a very nice upgrade if you want to continue using a PKB phone.
    the_boon and Bob80220 like this.
    12-23-19 12:04 PM
    I have been thinking of getting another one as well. The thought of having to type on glass makes me sick. My hesitation is that being android 8 might be a problem. I think app support should be good for many years but totally sure. Only phone I can find is from a carrier and it would be the black version. Not easy to drop 1000 bucks on something to put in a drawer till I need it.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    12-23-19 12:46 PM
    I doesn't make sense to buy a KEY2 at this time. The updates will stop in 6 months and then the phone will start to slow down and become unusable. It's a complete waste of money at this time.
    12-23-19 03:08 PM
    I doesn't make sense to buy a KEY2 at this time. The updates will stop in 6 months and then the phone will start to slow down and become unusable. It's a complete waste of money at this time.
    Unless you MUST have a PKB, and are very careful about what you do with the phone once updates end.
    12-23-19 03:10 PM
    if it's a key2Red, buy it, because a key3 is uncertain. If it's the regular models, i'd just wait it out 2 or 3 months, usually by march you'd hear about the next phone. Don't be turned off by the end of updates. just keep clear of dodgy apps and websites.
    12-23-19 03:43 PM
    if it's a key2Red, buy it, because a key3 is uncertain. If it's the regular models, i'd just wait it out 2 or 3 months, usually by march you'd hear about the next phone. Don't be turned off by the end of updates. just keep clear of dodgy apps and websites.
    This is bad advice. Android phones slow to a crawl when the updates stop. Besides, the KEY2 will be stuck on Android 8.1 which in itself is bad enough.
    John Albert likes this.
    12-23-19 03:48 PM
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Don't, not because its a bad phone. But it will probably be abandoned by the manufacture.
    12-23-19 06:06 PM
    So I'm getting mixed messages here. My KeyOne hasn't slowed to a crawl due to lack of updates. It's a personal phone but I mostly use it for email, messaging, banking, editing documents, public transit, etc, and rarely install any "entertainment" apps. Its problem is mainly being very "well-used". If I don't get a Key2 or Key2 LE (LE is cheap but seems the same as KeyOne in most respects) then I will have to move to a VKB phone. Is that what people are recommending, or can I get a couple of years of life out of a Key2 even if the official updates end? Or should I bite the bullet and get a glass screen phone (but would have to do a lot of research to find something tolerable).
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-23-19 07:22 PM
    Or am I mistaken? I haven't seen an update on my KeyOne for a long time and for anything I use, it hasn't slowed down at all...
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-23-19 07:30 PM
    So I'm getting mixed messages here. My KeyOne hasn't slowed to a crawl due to lack of updates. It's a personal phone but I mostly use it for email, messaging, banking, editing documents, public transit, etc, and rarely install any "entertainment" apps. Its problem is mainly being very "well-used". If I don't get a Key2 or Key2 LE (LE is cheap but seems the same as KeyOne in most respects) then I will have to move to a VKB phone. Is that what people are recommending, or can I get a couple of years of life out of a Key2 even if the official updates end? Or should I bite the bullet and get a glass screen phone (but would have to do a lot of research to find something tolerable).
    I plan to use my KEY2 as long as I can and as long as it holds together. If I were you I would get one. I basically did the same thing. If I knew for certain there would be a KEY3, I would maybe wait. But with that being up in the air, I am all in for having a KEY2 and bought one recently.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    12-23-19 07:41 PM
    Or am I mistaken? I haven't seen an update on my KeyOne for a long time and for anything I use, it hasn't slowed down at all...
    You're correct. Anyone telling you the end of security patches causes performance issues probably doesn't understand what Android security patches are.

Problems could arise from degraded storage or battery performance but that's usually resolvable by a factory reset or an inexpensive battery replacement.
    12-23-19 09:03 PM
    This is bad advice. Android phones slow to a crawl when the updates stop. Besides, the KEY2 will be stuck on Android 8.1 which in itself is bad enough.
    My keyone still works fine. Don't know where this "slowness" comes from.
    12-23-19 09:43 PM
    I believe the comment made about slowing after security patching ends is a giant load of BS. These are not older Apple devices that were intentionally slowed by Apple at each new device release to " preserve" battery life. Its Hogwash. I have a '14 Samsung Tab Pro Tablet on KitKat 4.4.2 that still operates and does anything I need a tablet to do. Shoot I just replaced my battery and did a factory reset. I reloaded Nova and my apps one by one and it works like the day I bought it in Oct '14.
    12-23-19 11:02 PM
    The Key2 LE will be supported until October '20 and can be had @ Best Buy for @ 249.
    12-23-19 11:03 PM

LOL no, that's completely false.

The phone will not "slow down to a crawl" when security updates will stop.
    Bob80220 and Trouveur like this.
    12-24-19 10:19 AM
    LOL no, that's completely false.

The phone will not "slow down to a crawl" when security updates will stop.
    My experience is different. I also have a KEYone, PRIV and a DTEK 50. I wiped all three devices to factory settings and tested them.

The DTEK 50 is stuck on Android 6.0.1 with a June 5, 2018 security update. The device functions, but it is as slow as molasses with nothing on it. Nowhere near how fast it was when it was brand new. Why is this? It's a clean slate, yet it's slow.

The PRIV is even worse. It's stuck on Android 6.0.1 with an October 5, 2017 security update. It is slower than the DTEK 50.

The KEYone is still functional, but slow. It's on Android 8.1.0 with a June 5, 2019 security update. It is much slower than when it was new. My KEY2 runs circles around it.

Why are wiped devices so slow? I have no idea. They have nothing on them except the stock apps (which I updated to the latest versions after the wipe).

I'm only going off my personal experience with EOL Android devices. It seems to me that when the updates stopped, the devices just slowed down.

I could still use the KEYone as a backup device, but the others are just terrible. I am fully expecting my KEY2 to slow down when the updates stop. Maybe not all at once, but each month that passes will yield a performance degradation.

This is not a groundbreaking observation. Even iPhones start to slow down when they don't get the latest iOS update. The only thing about iPhones is that they have a long useful life cycle. My daughter has a iPhone SE (released 2016) that is on the latest iOS (13.3) and it's still going strong. No degradation at all. However, when she doesn't get iOS 14, I'm sure it will start to slow down progressively.
    John Albert likes this.
    12-24-19 10:46 AM
    Whoever this 'Matt J' person is, is spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt. The "advice" is not sound and completely false. Lack of updates does not make a device slow down. For that to happen would be a combination of degraded battery, tons of stuff stored on the phone, or apps that require higher specs to run well. This last one is not anything about the phone (and note that no update would fix that anyways) that it's going slower, it's just older hardware. The other two (battery, storage) are easily resolved/replaced.

Not to mention that there are still plenty of devices on Android 8. While at some point you will have to move on, that time is nowhere close. It would be rather stupid of any developer to eliminate Android 8 (or even 5.1 or later) currently from a targeted release of their app.

Advice on BlackBerry KEY2 purchase-android-distribution.png

[Source= https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards]

If you are interested in a Key2 and need/want the PKB then there's not really any other choice but to get one. Just make sure you're not paying too much for the device. I doubt there will be a Key3, but you never know (just don't count on it happening). I personally cannot stand to type on a vkb. But my Key2 is functioning just like it has since I first owned it and it will continue to do so for years before I need to look for something else.
    Last edited by Summer_Moon; 12-24-19 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Adjusted source URL
    12-24-19 10:47 AM
    Whoever this 'Matt J' person is, is spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
    Jeez, it's just a phone. No need to spread "fear", "uncertainty" or "doubt". A question was asked if it's worth it to buy a KEY2. I said "no". Why spend so much money on a product that is EOL in 6 months?

My experience with BlackBerry Android devices was that they slowed down after EOL. I have no idea if this is the case with Google or Samsung devices as I've never owned them.

I would be the first to buy a KEY3 if it came out with Android 10. But I know this is unlikely, so I'm trying to help someone make a wise decision on a "new" device.

If we wanted an echo chamber where everyone said, "yeah, get it!", then the question would never have been asked.

My experience is "no, don't buy a KEY now". If asked 1.5 years ago, I would have said "yes, great phone".
    John Albert likes this.
    12-24-19 10:54 AM
    Android devices are getting slower by the time. This is a fact!
    The majority of Android device aren't usable after three years. Yes, you can use them, but they will make your life like hell due to the slow performance.
    12-24-19 11:12 AM
    Well let's see here...

[note: highlighting is my own.]

The parts highlighted is the literal definition of fear, uncertainty, and doubt (i.e. disseminating negative and dubious or false information). The OP even stated that they are seeing conflicting messages now. How will the OP know what is true if you keep spreading blatantly false information?

I'm not even arguing that the money is not worth it, because it is a high price for the device. What I am arguing is the false statements you have made, which consist of:

1) updates will stop and phone will slow to a crawl. This is false. Lack of updates do not cause a phone to slow down.

2) stuck on 8.1 which is bad enough. Again false. Proven wrong by the table of version distribution. Did you notice how many people are still on KitKat? It's still a sizable percentage. There is nothing "bad enough" about remaining on 8.1.

If you were speaking to lack of security due to no more updates, that would be a different case. Although even then how serious of issues are there that have not been patched already? Which would be up to the individual to make the decision.

Would I like to be on 9? Sure, but it's not going to somehow hamper the device because I'm not. The device is doing exactly what it claims it will do when it was sold. Performs all functions as intended.

Don't go around spreading misinformation simply because you are upset about the device and the lack of manufacturer involvement. If you want to suggest that the OP not get the device, fine, but use facts to arrive at that conclusion (which I gave you plenty of ways above to be able to argue your position effectively).

I am not suggesting the OP get the phone. What I am doing is saying it is up to the OP to make the decision based on being informed about the pros and cons.
    Trouveur likes this.
    12-24-19 11:19 AM
    Android devices are getting slower by the time. This is a fact!
    The majority of Android device aren't usable after three years. Yes, you can use them, but they will make your life like hell due to the slow performance.
    Which I did comment to in regards to specs. Except that it's not that the phone is getting slower. It's that the software is demanding higher specs. But we've already plateaued anyways. There are not that major of advancements in mobile technology (regarding CPU and RAM). So you might see a certain app have a load time of 3 or 5 seconds vs 1 to 2 seconds for top of the line hardware (this is just an example, not actual measurements).

So the "fact" part, isn't exactly black and white. The end result is that you will just notice certain lags with particular functions all based on the app being used (not even consistent between apps, some apps you'll never notice any kind of slowdown). But again none of this would be resolved/fixed by an update, which is what was being argued. Not length of time.

If you want to say the phone will slow down over a period of years because of advancement of hardware and changing requirements for an app, then fine. That would be a valid stance. But again it's up to the person to make their own decisions based on the information that is available.

Like I mentioned to Matt J, I'm not even suggesting getting the phone, unless you absolutely have to have a PKB (there's really not any other choice other than a crowd funded phone). I'm suggesting base your decision on information that is accurate not on someone's anecdotes or just straight out lying.
    Trouveur likes this.
    12-24-19 11:29 AM
    My experience is different. I also have a KEYone, PRIV and a DTEK 50. I wiped all three devices to factory settings and tested them.

The DTEK 50 is stuck on Android 6.0.1 with a June 5, 2018 security update. The device functions, but it is as slow as molasses with nothing on it. Nowhere near how fast it was when it was brand new. Why is this? It's a clean slate, yet it's slow.

The PRIV is even worse. It's stuck on Android 6.0.1 with an October 5, 2017 security update. It is slower than the DTEK 50.

The KEYone is still functional, but slow. It's on Android 8.1.0 with a June 5, 2019 security update. It is much slower than when it was new. My KEY2 runs circles around it.

Why are wiped devices so slow? I have no idea. They have nothing on them except the stock apps (which I updated to the latest versions after the wipe).

I'm only going off my personal experience with EOL Android devices. It seems to me that when the updates stopped, the devices just slowed down.

I could still use the KEYone as a backup device, but the others are just terrible. I am fully expecting my KEY2 to slow down when the updates stop. Maybe not all at once, but each month that passes will yield a performance degradation.

This is not a groundbreaking observation. Even iPhones start to slow down when they don't get the latest iOS update. The only thing about iPhones is that they have a long useful life cycle. My daughter has a iPhone SE (released 2016) that is on the latest iOS (13.3) and it's still going strong. No degradation at all. However, when she doesn't get iOS 14, I'm sure it will start to slow down progressively.
    These DroidBerry's were kind of underpowered to begin with (DTEK's, KEYone), the Priv had the worst processor ever, so there are other factors here that may have led to the slowdowns you experienced.

I think slowdowns are also because apps get heavier and more demanding over time, while the hardware in the phone remains the same.

But I don't see how updates are what keep a phone performing well.

To really know for sure, you'd have to take a brand new phone and never do an update on it and see how it performs over time.
    12-24-19 11:33 AM
44 12