If it's like the other recent KEY² updates, then no. We'll see when I get a hold of the signatures for this one.
    Okay, thanks.
    12-21-20 08:37 PM
    Too bad they didn't also provide the security patches for KeyOne variant owners also on the same 8.1 OS. That really would have been stellar.

Could that contract have had language for 3 years of security patching, like the Enterprise Program? Would that not take Key2 owners right up the to or @ the new 5G QWERTY Blackberry?
    hamilgs likes this.
    12-21-20 11:36 PM
    Too bad they didn't also provide the security patches for KeyOne variant owners also on the same 8.1 OS. That really would have been stellar.

Could that contract have had language for 3 years of security patching, like the Enterprise Program? Would that not take Key2 owners right up the to or @ the new 5G QWERTY Blackberry?
    They can't give anything beyond this, as Google will stop patching Oreo.

I can't imagine the circumstances surrounding this, but suffice it to say that TCL had no intention of going past last June.
    hamilgs likes this.
    12-21-20 11:51 PM
    @conite, can you make an autoloader to share with all Key2 owners like you did for the previous patches?
    12-22-20 03:46 AM
    Why is TCL not spreading these patches worldwide? i do not think it would be a huge economical effort to update all the variants...
    Mauri5io, elfabio80 and Linto988 like this.
    12-22-20 04:04 AM
    hopefully the K2 LE will get it too
    12-22-20 04:34 AM
    Why is TCL not spreading these patches worldwide? i do not think it would be a huge economical effort to update all the variants...
    Because TCL doesn’t want the added expense or hassle. TCL gets zero benefit.
    12-22-20 04:44 AM
    surely TCL would get credibility and trust of possible future customers who might buy other tcl products.. if they continued to support their old products..
    elfabio80 and bh7171 like this.
    12-22-20 04:49 AM
    @conite, can you make an autoloader to share with all Key2 owners like you did for the previous patches?
    As soon as I have the pieces necessary, I will.
    hamilgs and chetmanley like this.
    12-22-20 06:13 AM
    It will just be for North American devices once again - greasing the same grumpy Canadian carrier that is holding up a contract.
    Why can they not push this to all devices? Why don't we get this ini EU? It would make their name sound better when talking about security...
    12-22-20 06:43 AM
    Why can they not push this to all devices? Why don't we get this ini EU? It would make their name sound better when talking about security...
    Whose name? TCL is responsible for this - BlackBerry only provides them with software when paid to do so.

In any event, there may be some hope. TCL has decided to open up the Nov KEY² LE to all, so maybe they will do the same here with the KEY² Dec patch. Here's hoping.
    Last edited by conite; 12-22-20 at 11:17 PM.
    BBuso77 and hamilgs like this.
    12-22-20 06:46 AM
    Who's name? TCL is responsible for this - BlackBerry only provides them with software when paid to do so.

In any event, there may be some hope. TCL has decided to open up the Nov KEY² LE to all, so maybe they will do the same here with the KEY² Dec patch. Here's hoping.
    This would be great news.
    12-22-20 06:50 AM
    Nothing yet for me on Freedom Mobile in Ontario, Canada
    12-22-20 07:21 AM
    @conite is there any way to replace a file in the autoloader to make "certified device" when upgrade on EU variants? is not fair y'all are being upgraded and we in Europe get nothing
    12-22-20 07:29 AM
    surely TCL would get credibility and trust of possible future customers who might buy other tcl products.. if they continued to support their old products..
    Who that is still using a KEYBerry cares about TCL's slab products?? There's no reason to buy a TCL branded device as soon as they ended the BlackBerry Mobile agreement.
    The only interesting things about TCL in mobile were the KEY phones and also the Palm. Everything else is generic products whose competition does better.
    12-22-20 08:03 AM
    i was considering to buy a tcl 10 pro for my wife but with these policies I will purchase another product...if they cared more about their old customers, many would have a better opinion about tcl... and they still would continue to buy tcl phones.
    bh7171 likes this.
    12-22-20 08:09 AM
    i was considering to buy a tcl 10 pro for my wife but with these policies I will purchase another product...if they cared more about their old customers, many would have a better opinion about tcl... and they still would continue to buy tcl phones.
    Man maybe you do not love your wife!! 🤣🤣🤣 Check for a better supported smartphone. My 2 cents.
    12-22-20 08:25 AM
    @conite is there any way to replace a file in the autoloader to make "certified device" when upgrade on EU variants? is not fair y'all are being upgraded and we in Europe get nothing
    Nope.
    12-22-20 09:30 AM
    At that price you'd be FAR better off with a Pixel 4a 5G or a Samsung A71 5G.
    12-22-20 09:34 AM
    At that price you'd be FAR better off with a Pixel 4a 5G or a Samsung A71 5G.
    I told you there was nothing remotely compelling about TCL slabs as opposed to the competition.
    12-22-20 10:49 AM
    I told you there was nothing remotely compelling about TCL slabs as opposed to the competition.
    I actually have no issue with the hardware. I just don't like the facts that they are a Chinese OEM and they have a terrible update/patch commitment. But that doesn't seem to bother many.
    12-22-20 10:56 AM

TCL has made clear they do not care about contracts or promises unless someone sues or threatens to sue them. They never delivered on their update promises for either device and never intended to. That's what Chinese companies do - they lie.
    12-22-20 10:57 AM
    TCL has made clear they do not care about contracts or promises unless someone sues or threatens to sue them. They never delivered on their update promises for either device and never intended to. That's what Chinese companies do - they lie.
    If they had delivered Android 9, they would have needed to disable the new gesture navigation system as the hardware was simply not designed for it, since they insisted on the capacitive navigation keys yet again with the KEY2.

Could you imagine selecting the gestures nav system on Android 9 which ends up disabling the nav keys, turning that whole black strip into a waste of space, and then having the bottom of the already small screen act as the virtual nav bar??

Even the Priv was more "Pie-friendly" in this regard, as the nav bar was integrated into the display, as it should be with any phone after 2016.
    And then TCL gives us a 2014 style capacitive nav bar in 2018...
    12-22-20 11:06 AM
    If they had delivered Android 9, they would have needed to disable the new gesture navigation system as the hardware was simply not designed for it, since they insisted on the capacitive navigation keys yet again with the KEY2.

Could you imagine selecting the gestures nav system on Android 9 which ends up disabling the nav keys, turning that whole black strip into a waste of space, and then having the bottom of the already small screen act as the virtual nav bar??

Even the Priv was more "Pie-friendly" in this regard, as the nav bar was integrated into the display, as it should be with any phone after 2016.
    And then TCL gives us a 2014 style capacitive nav bar in 2018...
    I don't understand your point. Are you saying TCL was doing Key2 owners a favor by not updating it?
    12-22-20 11:36 AM
    I don't understand your point. Are you saying TCL was doing Key2 owners a favor by not updating it?
    Noooo just that we would not have gotten any of the benefits that came with the new nav system either way
    12-22-20 11:38 AM
76 1234