Long enough to wait for OM to get out of the gate?
    09-26-20 12:07 PM
    The KEY's have 4G so won't be going very far if anywhere after 3G shuts down.
    09-26-20 01:11 PM
    09-26-20 01:35 PM
    That article talks about the impossibility of upgrading your existing hardware to be 5G compatible, coming from a different direction than your question.
    Did I miss something?
    09-26-20 02:12 PM
    The KEY's have 4G so won't be going very far if anywhere after 3G shuts down.
    Going to depend on VoLTE bands and rules by carrier. My BE KEYone has actually lost some coverage around my area on T-Mobile since it lacks band 66 which didn’t matter 18 months ago.
    09-26-20 02:17 PM
    Going to depend on VoLTE bands and rules by carrier. My BE KEYone has actually lost some coverage around my area on T-Mobile since it lacks band 66 which didn’t matter 18 months ago.
    That, yeah. But completely disappearing? Not really.
    09-26-20 03:49 PM
    That, yeah. But completely disappearing? Not really.
    Well, if my device were the one I counted like most here, it would be significant to me. I’m not looking to split hairs but even with AT&T and their 4G and 5G rollouts of 4G HSPA or 5GE which just included 3G and 4G enhancements, I’m really not sure what to honest expect. It’s not their problem since they didn’t sell the phones and how convenient they sell new ones....... LOL
    09-26-20 04:27 PM
    As stated, the loss of 3G (GSM/CDMA calling, which are actually 2G features that carried over to 3G) isn't really the issue as much as whether or not your carrier will support VoLTE on your device. The Key-series phones are capable of VoLTE, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a given carrier will support VoLTE on that device - and if they don't, you won't be able to make or receive calls or SMS texts.

And as Chuck points out, carriers refarming frequencies can also lead to areas where a given service used to be on a band that your phone supports, but is moved to a band that it doesn't support. Phones officially sold by that carrier will have all of the relevant bands, but BYOD phones often will not, and so a phone that works for you today may not work for you tomorrow, even on the same carrier.

None of this is specific to BB or BBMo - these apply to any and all non-carrier-sold phones, and even to older (4-years plus) carrier-sold phones.

Just as happened with the 4G LTE rollout, there will be a good deal of disruption in the market with all of these changes, the vast majority of it affecting BYOD users and those using older devices.
    09-27-20 01:49 PM
    If you have a KEY with VoLTE working now... my guess is your good to go. (no guarantees, unless your carrier list your KEY devices on any supported device lists)

3G sunset should only affect early gen one LTE devices (old Android, iOS and BBOS and BB10 phones)... and only if you live where 3G is soon to be ended. As far as I know that only Verizon and T-Mobile....

Should be more worried about if OM gets out of the gate, and what they get out the gate with.... than if a KEY device is going to work at that point.
    09-28-20 11:06 AM
    now that OM is mum after initial flurry, longevity for Key models becomes more of a prominent question IMHO
    09-30-20 10:53 AM
    now that OM is mum after initial flurry, longevity for Key models becomes more of a prominent question IMHO
    They said they weren't releasing anything till Q2 of next year..... While I'm sure we'd love to know exactly what their plans are, reality is that's a long time away.

No question about KEY longevity... it is what it is. If your concerned about security, you can't wait for OM - get something else, and if and when OM releases something, sell it and buy the OM product. If you feel it's ok to use a non-patched phone for another eight months, go for it and be patient about it.
    09-30-20 11:16 AM
    If you have a KEY with VoLTE working now... my guess is your good to go. (no guarantees, unless your carrier list your KEY devices on any supported device lists)

3G sunset should only affect early gen one LTE devices (old Android, iOS and BBOS and BB10 phones)... and only if you live where 3G is soon to be ended. As far as I know that only Verizon and T-Mobile....

T-Mobile has a compatability checker that will confirm if the VoLTE requirement will prevent your KEY from working.

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone
    10-14-20 12:03 PM