10-08-18 12:09 AM
68 123
tools
    Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience with the Key2 after 24 hours.

First: I was not sold on the Key2. The combination of 'meh' reviews and the iffy camera performance really had me on the fence. Plus, I had the Black Edition KeyOne, which meant I was not struggling as much with performance issues as folks with the standard 3GB models so I wasn't sure it would be worth the cost. I ended up buying it based on the mostly positive CrackBerry review and the idea that if I want BB/TCL to stay healthy and release even better PKB phones, I should encourage them by buying this.

All of that said, I am completely floored by how much better the Key2 is. Before owning the K1, I had purchased every single iPhone model from the first one through the iPhone 8. There was always this amazing feeling of how much better the new iPhone was compared to the model from a year ago. I absolutely have the same feeling with the K1 vs K2. Anyone thinking of staying with the K1 until a K3 comes out (for any reason other than cost) is missing out! In order of "wow factor" - here are my initial take aways:

• Amazing keyboard - SO much better than the KeyOne in every single way. I can type much faster on this phone than the KeyOne and the snap/click to the keys is very satisfying. I was never able to look away from the K1 and keep typing. Within a few hours I was able to the with the K2 without even looking at the keys. Yes, the spacebar is different than the rest of the keyboard. It doesn't bother me. Also, yes - I have had a few instances of double keypresses. I don't know how annoying this will be. I imagine that BB can easily solve this issue if it is one. For reference, I have typed this review on the Key2 and so far the double typing has happened once.

• This phone is significantly faster and snappier than the K1. I have a 2018 VW with Android Auto. When I first had the standard 3GB K1, Android Auto was so slow it was almost unusable unless I cleared ALL other open apps. The K1 BE 4GB model was a big improvement but still slow and sometimes took a minute to connect. The K2 is so much faster - it takes 10 seconds to connect and is snappy after that.

• Similar to the above, the Speed Key is fantastic! I already enjoy snapping from app to app with a keypress without having to go home. I wish there was a one-handed feature that allowed me to press the speed key followed by another key, as pressing Speed Key + M, for example, is annoying even with two hands. Minor complaint on an otherwise AWESOME feature!

• The camera. What to say about the camera? It's not as much of an upgrade as I had hoped, but so far it is definitely faster and brighter than the K1. I don't think the colors are as vibrant so far on the K2, but I filter most of my photos anyway so it doesn't bother me. I may update this post with some side by side K1 vs K2 pics soon.

• Little improvements everywhere. First, the overall design is so much nicer. The design and materials remind me of a high end vehicle. The shape of the phone looked uncomfortable to me in the press photos - I hated the sharp edges on the iPhone 4 when it came out, for instance. However, BB has somehow mitigated this and the overall shape of the phone is both comfortable to hold, talk on, and type with. The grippy back is fantastic! Other little improvements include software - the keyboard is no longer blinding at night thanks to night mode! The speaker is an improvement for music (I like to listen while I type and it is much less muddy to my ears). I thought I wouldn't like having the power button on the right, but I am already used to it. The LED functions much better. Did I mention that the Keyboard is SO much better?!

The sun is starting to warm up as I sit on the back porch and type this, so I'll wrap it up for now. Needless to say, my opinion is that if you are a fan of the K1 and love PKB phones, it is WELL worth the upgrade cost to jump to the K2. Plus, by voting with your wallet, you will help ensure that BB/TCL continue to invest and improve on future PKB phones.

All the best,
    Stephen

--- Update at 32 hrs:

Just checked out the accessories that came with the K2 - wow! To my surprise, both the power adapter and headphones are different than what came with the K1. The power adapter is slightly larger and supports 3A charging. The headphones are MUCH improved - the comfort is similar to the Bose in-ear headphones I am used to. They sound much better than the buds included with the K1 and - hallelujah! - there are online controls for volume in addition to the play/pause/Google assistant button!

I have done a bit more with the camera and am still happy with it. Low light photos are more softened and noisy than I would like, but given the other upgrades, I am still thrilled with the total package. I am going to do some experimenting with the manual settings to see if a lower ISO will improve low light photos

--- Update on July 17 after 4-5 days of use

Added a new entry in the thread below with my thoughts on the camera, including a link to a gallery of images shot on the K2.
    Last edited by s7345565; 07-18-18 at 09:42 AM.
    07-14-18 11:57 AM
    Great review. Can completely agree. Love my Key2.
    anon(10429275) and the_boon like this.
    07-14-18 12:09 PM
    Hi all,

First: I was not sold on the Key2. The combination of 'meh' reviews and the iffy camera performance really had me on the fence. Plus, I had the Black Edition KeyOne, which meant I was not struggling as much with performance issues as folks with the standard 3GB models so I wasn't sure it would be worth the cost. I ended up buying it based on the mostly positive CrackBerry review and the idea that if I want BB/TCL to stay healthy and release even better PKB phones, I should encourage them by buying this.

All of that said, I am completely floored by how much better the Key2 is. Before owning the K1, I had purchased every single iPhone model from the first one through the iPhone 8. There was always this amazing feeling of how much better the new iPhone was compared to the model from a year ago. I absolutely have the same feeling with the K1 vs K2. Anyone thinking of staying with the K1 until a K3 comes out (for any reason other than cost) is missing out! In order of "wow factor" - here are my initial take aways:

• Amazing keyboard - SO much better than the KeyOne in every single way. I can type much faster on this phone than the KeyOne and the snap/click to the keys is very satisfying. I was never able to look away from the K1 and keep typing. Within a few hours I was able to the with the K2 without even looking at the keys. Yes, the spacebar is different than the rest of the keyboard. It doesn't bother me. Also, yes - I have had a few instances of double keypresses. I don't know how annoying this will be. I imagine that BB can easily solve this issue if it is one. For reference, I have typed this review on the Key2 and so far the double typing has happened once.

• This phone is significantly faster and snappier than the K1. I have a 2018 VW with Android Auto. When I first had the standard 3GB K1, Android Auto was so slow it was almost unusable unless I cleared ALL other open apps. The K1 BE 4GB model was a big improvement but still slow and sometimes took a minute to connect. The K2 is so much faster - it takes 10 seconds to connect and is snappy after that.

• Similar to the above, the Speed Key is fantastic! I already enjoy snapping from app to app with a keypress without having to go home. I wish there was a one-handed feature that allowed you to press the speed key followed by another key, as pressing Speed Key + M, for example, is annoying even with two hands. Minor complaint on an otherwise AWESOME feature!

• The camera. What to say about the camera? It's not as much of an upgrade as I had hoped, but so far it is definitely faster and brighter than the K1. I don't think the colors are as vibrant so far on the K2, but I filter most of my photos anyway so it doesn't bother me. I may update this post with some side by side K1 vs K2 pics soon.

• Little improvements everywhere. First, the overall design is so much nicer. The design and materials remind me of a high end vehicle. The shape of the phone looked uncomfortable to me in the press photos - I hated the sharp edges on the iPhone 4 when it came out, for instance. However, BB has somehow mitigated this and the overall shape of the phone is both comfortable to hold, talk on, and type with. The grippy back is fantastic! Other little improvements include software - the keyboard is no longer blinding at night thanks to night mode! The speaker is an improvement for music (I like to listen while I type and it is much less muddy to my ears). I thought I wouldn't like having the power button on the right, but I am already used to it. The LED functions much better. Did I mention that the Keyboard is SO much better?!

The sun is starting to warm up as I sit on the back porch and type this, so I'll wrap it up for now. Needless to say, my opinion is that if you are a fan of the K1 and love PKB phones, it is WELL worth the upgrade cost to jump to the K2. Plus, by voting with your wallet, you will help ensure that BB/TCL continue to invest and improve on future PKB phones.

All the best,
    Stephen
    Good for you... enjoy the phone and let's us know your impressions after a couple of weeks... thanks!
    anon(10429275) likes this.
    07-14-18 12:12 PM
    Read this and whipped out my bank card. Bought. Can't believe I just did that. The plan was not to be an early adopter. smh
    07-14-18 12:23 PM
    Thank yoou. (Ha, double type on Passport). I'm looking forward to using the keyboard on K2.
    anon(10429275) and BeautyEh like this.
    07-14-18 12:23 PM
    Read this and whipped out my bank card. Bought. Can't believe I just did that. The plan was not to be an early adopter. smh
    Awesome! I hope you love it when it arrives. Most important question: did you go with black or silver?
    07-14-18 12:32 PM
    Awesome! I hope you love it when it arrives. Most important question: did you go with black or silver?
    Silver. Already got the KEYᵒⁿᵉ Black Edition.
    JOHNGAETANO likes this.
    07-14-18 12:41 PM
    Thanks for your perspective on the Key2. It seems to be a great phone to look forward too. I have no doubt that the Key2 will be another success similar to the Keyone (probably better). I'm sure those who are looking to put down their passports and classics and the Priv will look to get the Key2.

By the time I decide on one they may be talking about a K3.
    07-14-18 12:52 PM
    I agree, I just got mine yesterday and the keyboard is amazing! The problem is, all the keys are lighter weight than the KEYone keys, so sometimes I get double typing, mostly on the spacebar as it's larger and easier to press by accident. I think it will just take getting used to.
    07-14-18 12:53 PM
    does the personal dictionary work with shortcuts?
    I've a BE K1 and the wordsubstitution just doesn't work correctly, which is really a step backwards from BB10
    07-14-18 05:09 PM
    Hey! I totally agree! I am having no problems with the camera or screen as mentioned in reviews. In every way it feels like an attempt to get back to core phone values of a BlackBerry. Even back to innovations within the form factor (the speed key) hurray!
    07-14-18 06:21 PM
    Silver. Already got the KEYᵒⁿᵉ Black Edition.
    Great choice! I am surprised by how few are going for the silver. I think it looks amazing!
    07-14-18 09:20 PM
    does the personal dictionary work with shortcuts?
    I've a BE K1 and the wordsubstitution just doesn't work correctly, which is really a step backwards from BB10
    I didn't use the personal dictionary on K1, so I don't have a point of reference... but I just set up a Personal Dictionary entry on my K2 for my full name and put my initials as the "optional shortcut". Then I switched back to this CB Forums app and typed my initials and it flashed teal and became my full name. I noticed the same thing happens when I type a lower case "i" in the middle of a sentence and it gets turned into an upper case. What problem are you running into on your K1 BE?
    07-14-18 09:27 PM
    Awesome to read man, thank you!
    07-14-18 09:32 PM
    Hi all,

• Similar to the above, the Speed Key is fantastic! I already enjoy snapping from app to app with a keypress without having to go home. I wish there was a one-handed feature that allowed you to press the speed key followed by another key, as pressing Speed Key + M, for example, is annoying even with two hands. Minor complaint on an otherwise AWESOME feature!

All the best,
    Stephen
    What is causing the double character issue though? Hardware or software ? Mine does it too randomly now and then!
    07-14-18 10:45 PM
    Double character for me I thought was just caused by user error at first, because of the lighter weight keyboard which I'm not used to yet. But a couple of times in got a double space like this "I k now" when I'm trying to type "I know" for example. So I'm thinking it must be software after all? Hopefully they can figure it out and patch it quickly.
    07-14-18 11:14 PM
    You won't regret it. I loved my KEYOne. The KEY2 is way improved and made me forget about my KEYOne. Premium feeling. Way better looking. Faster. Amazing keyboard and battery improvements. Speaker improved!
    anon(10429275) and Smokeaire like this.
    07-14-18 11:18 PM
    You won't regret it. I loved my KEYOne. The KEY2 is way improved and made me forget about my KEYOne. Premium feeling. Way better looking. Faster. Amazing keyboard and battery improvements. Speaker improved!
    I'm glad it has been improved but it's not improved enough for me to switch from BB10 as it just works for what I use a smartphone for. With the release of the Key3 please offer a trade in deal and the Key3 better have stereo speakers and better camera. Super Amoled would be nice as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-18 11:39 PM
    I'm glad it has been improved but it's not improved enough for me to switch from BB10 as it just works for what I use a smartphone for. With the release of the Key3 please offer a trade in deal and the Key3 better have stereo speakers and better camera. Super Amoled would be nice as well.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think there is anything wrong with continuing to use something if it works for your needs! My post earlier where I said folks on the fence about upgrading were missing out if they don't upgrade was related directly to those like me who liked the idea of the K2 (faster, larger keyboard, speed key) but we're put off by the bad reviews. The bad reviews seem to be making a lot of noise about nothing.

I wouldn't hold your breath for any type of buy back program in the future. I have only seen businesses offer buy backs when it helps them in one of two ways: 1) by restricting used product availability to prop up high prices - or - 2) where the item has inherently high resale value (like used iPhones). Since neither really apply here I will be surprised if BB / TCL ever offer a buy back.

That said, I am curious to see what the K3 adds! Stereo and front facing speakers would be awesome!
    07-15-18 01:00 AM
    K2 so far showing great speed and keyboard is amazing. Definitely an upgrade over K1!
    burbunny likes this.
    07-15-18 01:01 AM
    Double character for me I thought was just caused by user error at first, because of the lighter weight keyboard which I'm not used to yet. But a couple of times in got a double space like this "I k now" when I'm trying to type "I know" for example. So I'm thinking it must be software after all? Hopefully they can figure it out and patch it quickly.
    I haven't been using the phone long enough to figure out the cause of the double characters, but I have a suspicion that it is software. I have only noticed the double entry when I am typing quickly and doing something processor intensive. For example, it happened a few times when using a very Javascript heavy website (not mobile friendly) that had text entry boxes. I wonder if whatever driver/software is supposed to detect and ignore double entry just can't do its job when the processor is slammed. I would say that, at most, I am getting one double entry in every 500 words entered or so. But I can type 5000 words with no double entries and then get 3 double entries in one paragraph... so it does not seem like a hardware fault to me at this point.
    Kraeutermann likes this.
    07-15-18 01:05 AM
    What is causing the double character issue though? Hardware or software ? Mine does it too randomly now and then!
    Please see my reply above. I wasn't sure how to quote you in that message as well.
    07-15-18 01:06 AM
    FYI to those following the thread - I updated the first post with new info about the included accessories and the camera.
    07-15-18 01:14 AM
    Are people getting this double type issue with typing? Just wondering if it was an isolated issue to several units or a larger issue that has yet to declare itself.
    07-15-18 02:29 PM
    Great choice! I am surprised by how few are going for the silver. I think it looks amazing!
    Totally agree!
    07-15-18 04:45 PM
68 123