Price point.
    Who wants a slowing down device even if it is 200 usd cheaper. Then give me the more expensive one that works great even after few months...

Unless they make it really very low price ...
    06-23-18 11:11 AM
    Who wants a slowing down device even if it is 200 usd cheaper. Then give me the more expensive one that works great even after few months...

A 630 SoC will still be a solid performer - 30% faster than the 625 in the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

It also has Bluetooth 5, support for dual cameras, and other more modern features.
    06-23-18 11:13 AM
    A 630 SoC will still be a solid performer - 30% faster than the 625 in the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

It also has Bluetooth 5, support for dual cameras, and other more modern features.
    I am curious about what price they will sell it for...
    06-23-18 11:15 AM
    What will they call it? Key2ish?
    anon(2695703) likes this.
    06-23-18 12:48 PM
    Probably the key 1.5. ;-)

Posted via my Awesome passport
    DWonder likes this.
    06-23-18 12:55 PM

Me. €700 will be very expensive in Romania. Is more than the average salary.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-18 12:55 PM
    Probably the key 1.5. ;-)

Posted via my Awesome passport
    Or KEY2.Negative 5. Kinda has a ring to it, lol.
    06-23-18 01:45 PM
    Price point.

Not everyone is willing to pay $649. The Lite version might be $499 or so.
    Which is an absurd price and they won't sell many at that price. They should use a cheaper device as a foothold to gain market share. Say $299 or $349, they'd sell way more at that price and make up the difference with volume. But they (probably) won't because this is BlackBerry and TCL...
    06-23-18 02:22 PM
    Which is an absurd price and they won't sell many at that price. They should use a cheaper device as a foothold to gain market share. Say $299 or $349, they'd sell way more at that price and make up the difference with volume. But they (probably) won't because this is BlackBerry and TCL...
    You can't sell a premium (not to be confused with high spec) product at that price point. Sturdy and secure is not cheap. They pay a good price for BlackBerry Android.

BBMo also has higher overheads having to deal with carrier relationships (over 100), working with distributors and resellers, and funding their security division and enterprise sales teams.

The KEYx products are not intended to be for everyone. There are plenty of other brands hammering away at each other at the lower price points.
    06-23-18 02:25 PM
    So there goes the hope for a same spec smaller formfactor Key2mini or PRIV2mini.
    💥
    DWonder and ck2nb like this.
    06-23-18 07:20 PM
    So there goes the hope for a same spec smaller formfactor Key2mini or PRIV2mini.
    ������
    There was never any hope. Wishes, perhaps... Hope, never....
    06-23-18 07:46 PM
    💥
    I share your wish and disappointment.
    DWonder and ck2nb like this.
    06-23-18 09:02 PM
    You can't sell a premium (not to be confused with high spec) product at that price point. Sturdy and secure is not cheap. They pay a good price for BlackBerry Android.

BBMo also has higher overheads having to deal with carrier relationships (over 100), working with distributors and resellers, and funding their security division and enterprise sales teams.

The KEYx products are not intended to be for everyone. There are plenty of other brands hammering away at each other at the lower price points.
    Keep on spitting talking points...
    06-24-18 01:14 AM
    I really hope...or wish that the BBE will be a bit smaller than the KEYone...
    DWonder, gizmo21 and ck2nb like this.
    06-24-18 01:28 AM
    I really hope...or wish that the BBE will be a bit smaller than the KEYone...
    Same here. It's like "why not?" There's already 3-4 versions of the KEYone. Now there will be about 3 or 4 of the KEY2 if u count the dual Sim and / or 128GB. All of these will have the same screen size. So make one a smidge smaller for a smidge of diversity. Just wishful thinking. I'm aware the chances are low :-(
    gizmo21 likes this.
    06-24-18 01:44 AM
    Same here. It's like "why not?" There's already 3-4 versions of the KEYone. Now there will be about 3 or 4 of the KEY2 if u count the dual Sim and / or 128GB. All of these will have the same screen size. So make one a smidge smaller for a smidge of diversity. Just wishful thinking. I'm aware the chances are low :-(
    Since the specs will be lower, it can hold an advantage over the KEYone/KEY2 with a smaller form factor
    06-24-18 04:09 AM
    Since the specs will be lower, it can hold an advantage over the KEYone/KEY2 with a smaller form factor
    The chances for smaller devices is nil because they would likely cost as much if not more because the parts sourcing and other variable costs would be lesser quantities. The fixed setup costs would be spread over smaller quantities of device. Lower specs in the same frame as KEYone or Key2 doesn't cause the same problem. Avoiding customization of too many parts is the magic.

The smidge of diversity is what put BB in the bad spot over and over. Have to attempt to make a profit on every single device. Remember 20 years ago when nothing in mobile devices was standardized? Different chargers, phone cases and anything else. The industry has cleaned up and gotten cheaper but it’s all because of standardized everything.
    06-24-18 08:35 AM
    The chances for smaller devices is nil because they would likely cost as much if not more because the parts sourcing and other variable costs would be lesser quantities. The fixed setup costs would be spread over smaller quantities of device. Lower specs in the same frame as KEYone or Key2 doesn't cause the same problem. Avoiding customization of too many parts is the magic.

The smidge of diversity is what put BB in the bad spot over and over. Have to attempt to make a profit on every single device. Remember 20 years ago when nothing in mobile devices was standardized? Different chargers, phone cases and anything else. The industry has cleaned up and gotten cheaper but it’s all because of standardized everything.
    See, this is what I don't get. Doesn't every single device have almost every single one of its components different than the next one?

For example, which component of the KEY1 is interchangeable with the KEY2? I doubt there are any
    06-24-18 08:45 AM

Thats makes sense. But it also sounds like ur sayin that "if" and that's un grande IF, they were to make a smaller device they would take a loss, let's say 1 million dollars. Those start up costs should only be a one time thing if they stuck to those to form factors. Yes? No? Maybe so?

Also, if they were to sell enough devices they could potentially break even. Am I close? Lol
    06-24-18 08:58 AM
    See, this is what I don't get. Doesn't every single device have almost every single one of its components different than the next one?

For example, which component of the KEY1 is interchangeable with the KEY2? I doubt there are any
    The screen is the same, the battery is probably the same (3505 mAh vs. 3500 mAh may just be a difference in measurement or change in accessible capacity). And the body is very similar to a Motion.
    06-24-18 09:04 AM

Physically, look past just the PKB. The 4.5” screen is pretty common I would guess across even TCL VKB devices. Charger ports, antennae or multiple other components that fit inside dimensions of a 5.5” phone.

The assembly line can treat product like it's standardized design and fit components inside same locations as TCL or Alcatel devices. Screen is standardized 4.5” glass. PKB is major unique external component.

Even accessories manufacturers have learned this. Years ago, term was mass customization. Small enough to offer semblance of differentiation and yet large enough for economies of scale.

Everything proportional. If x number wants PKB, what’s optimal size to maximize single dimension profit. If y prefers different size, what is next optimal size to generate new sales and not deplete original size profitability but increase overall profitability. Finally if z prefers different size, repeat steps previous for x and y.

This is how iPhone developed. Single device. Then original and larger. Then lastly a smaller device. Each device has to reach a threshold so that internal data supports next size. With small device is lesser demand, it’s not as likely.

PKB niche status changes the calculations. Does anyone support a larger PKB device. The screen is only 4.5” but the device equals 5.5” VKB dimensions. This means a larger screen would equate slider model. Smaller device, screen dimensions are the issue. Therefore, lower specs in standard dimensions for now to get lower price with profits. Like the Bold and Curve lines.

I fired up a Z3 and Q5 for almost one week. BB10 was horrible. I was using mostly for CB10 and posting replies. Z3 was fine regarding screen dimensions and page layout. The Q5 was practically unusable from screen perspective. Way too much scrolling and zooming. For email, texting and calling, it would be ok, but that’s not mobile expectations anymore. My Bold 9900 would actually be just as or more useful as Q5.

BBMo/TCL has got really good data from the KEYone sales. More importantly, BB itself gave BBMo/TCL really great data by giving the KEYone design specs. BB wasn’t inept as everyone thought. The KEYone would have been a great first Android device in 2009-2010.
    06-24-18 09:11 AM

BBMo/TCL has got really good data from the KEYone sales. More importantly, BB itself gave BBMo/TCL really great data by giving the KEYone design specs. BB wasn’t inept as everyone thought. The KEYone would have been a great first Android device in 2009-2010.
    Only Android wasn't where it is now. In 2009 - 2010, it would have taken too much to lock Eclair or Froyo down back then - would have had a Silent Circle type product that few consumers would have wanted. And consumers are what made BlackBerry.... they sold far more devices to prosumers and those in developing markets that needed BIS, then enterprise ever accounted for.

Good thing for BlackBerry was that with 5.0 Google in 2015 turn their attention to having a much more secure product. Which allowed BlackBerry to offer something that could be considered secure... enough for most enterprise customers.

Bad thing for BlackBerry is by that it's now 2018, and Google's security has only improved further... making changes that BlackBerry makes, very minor. At this point it's more about the apps and the form factor than anything else... along with updates.
    06-25-18 07:28 AM
    Only Android wasn't where it is now. In 2009 - 2010, it would have taken too much to lock Eclair or Froyo down back then - would have had a Silent Circle type product that few consumers would have wanted. And consumers are what made BlackBerry.... they sold far more devices to prosumers and those in developing markets that needed BIS, then enterprise ever accounted for.

Good thing for BlackBerry was that with 5.0 Google in 2015 turn their attention to having a much more secure product. Which allowed BlackBerry to offer something that could be considered secure... enough for most enterprise customers.

Bad thing for BlackBerry is by that it's now 2018, and Google's security has only improved further... making changes that BlackBerry makes, very minor. At this point it's more about the apps and the form factor than anything else... along with updates.
    I'm not referring to security as much. BBOS would have met that requirement until 2013 just like pre-BB10.

I just mean Android with BlackBerry features like hub and PKB. To me, BBAndroid would have been simple in the beginning. Security never really mattered to Android consumer users 2008-2013. It was about the apps or ecosystem. Partnering with Android early on would also have allowed development of alternative revenue streams, if possible, as people transitioned from BBOS. Not sure how much different things would be since many early Android OEMs have exited the business or are close to exiting.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-18 07:36 AM
    I'm going to hold off on the KEY2 until the "Lite" model is announced. If that model is a smaller form factor, I'll buy it for sure. I gave my KEYone to my son and bought a Q10 a couple months ago, which I had never used (skipped straight from the 9900 to the Classic). Do any of you think a smaller form factor (maybe with a 4:3 screen) is a possibility?

Posted via CB10
    DWonder likes this.
    06-25-18 09:39 AM
    I'm going to hold off on the KEY2 until the "Lite" model is announced. If that model is a smaller form factor, I'll buy it for sure. I gave my KEYone to my son and bought a Q10 a couple months ago, which I had never used (skipped straight from the 9900 to the Classic). Do any of you think a smaller form factor (maybe with a 4:3 screen) is a possibility?

Posted via CB10
    I think almost anything is possible...

But being that a few claimed to have see it and it's not smaller... I'd say the odds are pretty low that it will be.

IMHO the PKB niche is too small as it is, to go chasing after the few that want smaller or the few that want bigger would be unproductive. If they can grow sales with an optimum PKB design like the KEYtwo.... then who knows what kind of experimentation they might try in the future.

I don't care for PKBs.... if I did, I'd buy the KEYtwo to make sure there are other future devices.
    06-25-18 10:01 AM
57 123