@LiamQ @max-bb please note this feature is around the corner. If you can consider improving Hub integration as follows:

Notification Dismiss: keep message Unread in Hub

Notification mark as read: mark message Read in Hub

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...cations-users/

As it stands, notification dismiss is also marking it as Read in Hub.
    07-31-18 11:12 AM
    With today's WhatsApp update version # 2.18.248 this handy feature finally became available!
    @LiamQ @max-bb please consider fine tuning the integration according to my original post.

Thank you!
    08-17-18 03:02 PM
    Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a way for us to detect what the user did with the notification. We can see that notifications are posted and disappear, but I don't think we can tell that a button was clicked.
    08-17-18 03:14 PM
    Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a way for us to detect what the user did with the notification. We can see that notifications are posted and disappear, but I don't think we can tell that a button was clicked.
    With that said and since this new feature clearly enable the user to mark the message as Read if they wish to do so then can we please have a notification dismissal leave the message as Unread in Hub which is practically the same thing that happens in WhatsApp?

As it stands, WhatsApp notification dismissal is also marking it as Read in Hub while in actuality it is not in WhatsApp.

I feel that if this is implemented accordingly we will have more consistency between Hub and WhatsApp.
    08-17-18 03:21 PM
    It is implemented this way because opening the message in the app (marking it read), or clicking on the notification, usually results in the app dismissing the notification. People get very upset about messages staying 'unread' (more so then the reverse), so we have to err this way. Again, unfortunately, we can't tell the difference between the different circumstances that cause the notification to disappear.
    08-17-18 03:26 PM
    It is implemented this way because opening the message in the app (marking it read), or clicking on the notification, usually results in the app dismissing the notification. People get very upset about messages staying 'unread' (more so then the reverse), so we have to err this way. Again, unfortunately, we can't tell the difference between the different circumstances that cause the notification to disappear.
    I understand but allow me to just explain this:

If we leave messages as Unread upon notification dismissal but the user marked the notification as Read (using the new feature) and then dismissed it then the message will remain as Unread in Hub until one of two things happen:

1. The user manually mark it as Read in Hub which is much easier to do than it is in WhatsApp (it requires less steps or swipe gesture if configured)

2. It will be automatically marked as Read in Hub as soon as the next message comes in.

Hope you can see my logic here; this is also what happens with email, SMS and Instagram so I feel that WhatsApp should not behave any differently. I also understand your reasons and appreciate the open discussion.

Perhaps you can test it internally and see how that feels.
    08-17-18 03:36 PM