Assumptions:

1. Hub is set to delete emails on Hub & Server

Cause of “Bug” theory:

1. The Undo Delay of the first deleted message is overridden by an Undo Delay of multiple messages deleted at the same time or in immediate succession and ‘hang’ the message/s in an ‘unknown territory’ (term will be explained below).

There are different ways to deleting an email for which the Undo Delay behave differently:

1. From the Productivity Tab, No Undo Delay
    2. From the Notification Shade, Undo Delay Apply
    3. From Hub, method A, From the standard Hub list:
      a. Long press followed by Delete, Undo Delay Apply
      b. Open message followed by Delete, Undo Delay Apply
      c. Swipe to Delete, Undo Delay Apply
    4. From Hub, method B, Press the S key to activate the Hub search bar and then:
      a. Long press followed by Delete, No Undo Delay
      b. Open message followed by Delete, Undo Delay Apply – significantly shorter than usual
      c. Swipe to Delete, Undo Delay Apply – significantly shorter than usual

The “Bug” occurs when deleting multiple messages at the same time or in immediate succession using methods 3a. and 3c.

In order to understand the term ‘unknown territory’ mentioned in item 1 of the “Bug” theory we are going to delete an email message using method 3a. and while the Undo delay is going press the S key to activate Hub’s search bar.

After the deletion action was performed the message was removed from the list but when the S key was pressed, Hub search bar was activated, and the deleted message reappeared in the list awaiting the Undo Delay to complete after which it will be entirely removed from Hub & the Server.

The ‘unknown territory’ is therefore referred to where the message can be found after it was deleted by pressing the S key to activate Hub search bar.

Reproduction of “Bug”:

Delete multiple message (6 or more) using methods 3a. and 3c. (test both please). This time wait for the Undo Delay to complete and only then press the S key to activate Hub search bar and you will see all or some of the messages you intended to delete. The messages will hang in that 'territory' indefinitely and in fact, deleting them from that 'territory' actually complete the deletion action and remove them from the server.

This “Bug” will not occur with any other deletion method described above.

This "Bug" can be reproduce on any device, BlackBerry or not.
    I can reproduce the issue when deleting from hub by swiping and then hit S soon after.

The email seems to get deleted from the Hub but can be found in the S.
    I didn't try other variances of the test but this is significant enough to state that the messages do get stuck in a limbo.
    10-01-18 07:45 AM
    @LiamQ I am not sure if you had time to review my reproduction steps in post # 100 but in case you did, I wanted to offer a possible remedy:

Assuming the Undo Delay is the culprit then disable Undo Delay when deleting more than one message in one action as described in deletion method 3a and disable swipe to delete when attempting to delete a 2nd message in succession before the Undo Delay of the 1st message completed as described in method 3c.
    10-02-18 12:08 PM
    We have a speculative fix that we're testing for this. Thank you very much for the detailed description. It was quite helpful.

We're hoping to get a new beta build out this week, but it won't include this speculative fix. We'd like to test it more internally first.
    10-02-18 01:26 PM
    We have a speculative fix that we're testing for this. Thank you very much for the detailed description. It was quite helpful.

We're hoping to get a new beta build out this week, but it won't include this speculative fix. We'd like to test it more internally first.
    My pleasure

Since it's so involved and rather specific I was honestly struggling to find the words to describe it clearly. Glad it made it through!
    10-02-18 01:29 PM

Hi @LiamQ

Was this addressed with today's release of Hub+ Services ver. # 1.6.2.52674 & Hub ver. # 1.6.2.16013?
    10-12-18 11:21 AM
    Hi @LiamQ

Was this addressed with today's release of Hub+ Services ver. # 1.6.2.52674 & Hub ver. # 1.6.2.16013?
    Yes, today's update has our speculative fix for the delete issue. Are you still able to reproduce it?
    10-12-18 11:32 AM
    Yes, today's update has our speculative fix for the delete issue. Are you still able to reproduce it?
    Let's see! I was waiting for your response before I start testing

I will circle back with my findings as soon as I can.
    10-12-18 11:36 AM
    Yup! I think you nailed it

I tested deleting multiple emails from multiple accounts all at the same time (one action) and it looks like they were deleted off the server, as well as I could not find them in what I described as the 'unknown territory' in my bug description post.

The deletion method I tested is marking messages and pressing the Back key; I have not tested the swipe action yet.

I feel confident that this bug had been resolved and will report back here in case it re-appears or I see a different behavior when using the swipe to delete action.

Wow...that was a long standing one.
    10-12-18 01:32 PM
    When deleting multiple messages and immediately navigating away from Hub the issue remains; the 'deleted' mssages remain in the 'unknown territory'.

I suspect that navigating away from Hub interfere with the Undo Delay action which basically 'breaks' the deletion in the middle thereby leaving the 'deleted' messages in the 'unknown territory'.

I will suggest again that perhaps eliminating the Undo Delay when deleting multiple messages is the way to go.

Are you able to reproduce?

I will mention you here since I edited this post @LiamQ
    Last edited by RK_BB; 10-14-18 at 04:31 PM.
    10-13-18 11:59 PM
    @LiamQ one more observation to add following my findings in post # 109 above:

I feel that mutipe message deletion is most likely a final action before leaving Hub after reviewing messages so I feel that resolving this particular is important.
    10-15-18 11:36 AM
    I am also still suffering from this issue of emails swiped to delete in hub taking a very long time to go from the server. Am using the latest beta apps.
    How do I change the "undo delay" time please?
    10-16-18 09:23 PM
    I am also still suffering from this issue of emails swiped to delete in hub taking a very long time to go from the server. Am using the latest beta apps.
    How do I change the "undo delay" time please?
    You cannot change the Undo Delay; it's presets by the app developers.

In order to make certain that your emails are deleted off the server almost instantaneously hit the S key to invoke the search bar and then delete as many message as you want, concurrently or not, they will get deleted off the server quickly.

If you do not want to have the Undo Delay at all then do not swipe to delete, rather select your message/s and then hit the Back key or tap the Delete button on the upper right, once again after you invoked the Search bar by pressing the S key.

The other alternative to bypassing the Undo Delay is deleting your messages using the Productivity Tab.
    @LiamQ
    10-16-18 09:32 PM
    @LiamQ,
    Many thanks for letting me know.
    10-16-18 10:55 PM
    @LiamQ does today's Beta Hub+ Services Ver. # 1.6.2.52737 resolve this?
    10-18-18 06:44 PM
    @LiamQ does today's Beta Hub+ Services Ver. # 1.6.2.52737 resolve this?
    No, we haven't had a chance to dig into this case yet.
    10-18-18 07:04 PM
    Besides the Undo delay, there is also up to a 5 minute delay to propagate changes (deletions, flagged flag, read flag) from the device to the server, to enable batching of multiple user actions. Each wakeup of the mobile radio can be very expensive, and if you delete ten messages in a row, one update is a lot more efficient than ten individual updates to the server.

Causing a connection to the server will cause the actions to occur immediately (refresh, getting a message, etc.)
    10-25-18 12:07 PM
    Besides the Undo delay, there is also up to a 5 minute delay to propagate changes (deletions, flagged flag, read flag) from the device to the server, to enable batching of multiple user actions. Each wakeup of the mobile radio can be very expensive, and if you delete ten messages in a row, one update is a lot more efficient than ten individual updates to the server.

Causing a connection to the server will cause the actions to occur immediately (refresh, getting a message, etc.)
    With that said, how come deleting multiple messages with Hub being in Search mode removes the messages from the server almost immediately and accurately every single time? There is also no 'Undo Delay' when deleting messages this way. Is invoking Hub Search cause an immediate server connection?

This bug seem to have been resolved with the exception of deleting multiple messages followed by an immediate navigation away from Hub as described in post # 109.
    10-25-18 01:26 PM
    Besides the Undo delay, there is also up to a 5 minute delay to propagate changes (deletions, flagged flag, read flag) from the device to the server, to enable batching of multiple user actions.
    Then perhaps it's the '5 minutes delay' and not necessarily the 'Undo delay' that gets interrupted immediately as the user navigates away from Hub. I am finding that deleting multiple messages in one action works fine after you guys addressed this bug but only if the user wait until the 'Undo delay' is completed so my thinking is that navigating away from Hub interrupt the 'Undo delay' thereby leaving the deleted messages in the 'unknown territory' which I described in my reproduction description post # 100.

Each wakeup of the mobile radio can be very expensive, and if you delete ten messages in a row, one update is a lot more efficient than ten individual updates to the server.
    This supports (encourage) deleting multiple messages in one action yet this is when the bug occurs.

Putting the Hub in Search mode seem to cause a server connection as message deletion work flawlessly every single time when deleting multiple or single messages.

I can see how this can be confusing to communicate; let me know how else I can assist in showing you what I am experiencing.
    10-25-18 07:42 PM
    It took some 10 hours from deleting emails on server by downloading to my pc before the motion reflected this change! I did try a manual refresh but it made no difference.

Hopefully this can be fixed soon?
    10-29-18 03:18 AM
    It took some 10 hours from deleting emails on server by downloading to my pc before the motion reflected this change! I did try a manual refresh but it made no difference.

Hopefully this can be fixed soon?
    This thread speaks to an opposite bug; when deleting multiple messages from the device the same is not reflected on the server.

If you review previous posts you will find reproduction steps.

It was partially resolved. Hopefully @LiamQ and company will resolved completely soon.
    10-29-18 11:13 AM
    Thanks RK_BB - I metnioned it to keep awareness of the issue. Hopefully @LiamQ and team will resolve all soon.
    I have been travelling all this month and when home at the weekend plane to do a "factory reset" and go through all the grief of setting the phone up again.....
    10-29-18 11:43 PM
    @LiamQ @max-bb

Any news on this one with Hub+ Services 1.6.2.52883 & Hub 1.6.2.16149?
    10-31-18 04:40 PM
    @LiamQ @max-bb

Any news on this one with Hub+ Services 1.6.2.52883 & Hub 1.6.2.16149?
    No, we haven't had a chance to dig into the remaining case yet.
    11-01-18 09:06 AM
    No, we haven't had a chance to dig into the remaining case yet.
    Any estimated time frame? Is a month reasonable?

Just want to ensure I don't keep coming back here with every new update
    11-01-18 01:43 PM
    Any estimated time frame? Is a month reasonable?

Just want to ensure I don't keep coming back here with every new update
    No ETA. I wouldn't expect it this year.
    11-01-18 01:46 PM
213 ... 34567 ...