Since I have now looked at the Samsung s8 and s8+, and knowing that Google is about to release another phone with superb specs and function... I finally realized that there is no longer a reason to stick with BlackBerry hardware. That's for me at least, because the Keyone isn't good enough to switch from a virtual keyboard. My realization is that I want the best hardware and that is simply not even close to what BlackBerry offers.

Seems obvious to me yet I just wasn't even considering other phones until now. The inadequacies of the Keyone were the eye-opener.
    06-19-17 07:05 AM
    Well...as someone who is coming from a Galaxy S7...it all depends on what you are looking for. The intended user of the KeyONE is not the average user. It is, on the other hand, perfect for a road warrior like me. I travel to see clients regularly. What that means is that I have limited ability to charge my phone, and I am constantly messaging on my phone. Those are my priorities. So little things like the awesome spacebar fingerprint sensor become big conveniences. The convenience key doubling as a mute button is worth almost any other flaw to someone who can spent 6 hrs on conference calls. Legit 12 hour SoT means I'm not worrying about carrying a spare battery pack. I probably won't enjoy playing asphalt 8 on it...but ultimately that's less important for me.
    glwerry and chefcenko like this.
    06-19-17 07:25 AM
    Well...as someone who is coming from a Galaxy S7...it all depends on what you are looking for. The intended user of the KeyONE is not the average user. It is, on the other hand, perfect for a road warrior like me. I travel to see clients regularly. What that means is that I have limited ability to charge my phone, and I am constantly messaging on my phone. Those are my priorities. So little things like the awesome spacebar fingerprint sensor become big conveniences. The convenience key doubling as a mute button is worth almost any other flaw to someone who can spent 6 hrs on conference calls. Legit 12 hour SoT means I'm not worrying about carrying a spare battery pack. I probably won't enjoy playing asphalt 8 on it...but ultimately that's less important for me.
    Lol. Yeah it's individual. But I only use it for business and I travel internationally constantly. I think the Keyone hardware and hardware-dependent function is inferior to every high end device including my Dtek60. The pkb is great but for me it didn't make up for mediocre performance in almost every way including the screen.
    Last edited by stanfordprof; 06-19-17 at 07:53 AM.
    06-19-17 07:38 AM
    Ok, so to that point...what parts of the KeyONE are functionally inferior enough to a high end device that it affected your work? My S7 had a higher res screen...but it was kept at 1080p by default anyway, so no real advantage. the 820 is faster than the 625...but in real life the differences aren't noticeable (to me anyway). The S7 camera had OIS...but for most pictures the KeyONE is really good, and I can stabilize video with Google Photos. Curious what you're missing vs. the DTEK60 or other high end phone.
    06-19-17 07:56 AM
    Since I have now looked at the Samsung s8 and s8+, and knowing that Google is about to release another phone with superb specs and function... I finally realized that there is no longer a reason to stick with BlackBerry hardware. That's for me at least, because the Keyone isn't good enough to switch from a virtual keyboard. My realization is that I want the best hardware and that is simply not even close to what BlackBerry offers.

Seems obvious to me yet I just wasn't even considering other phones until now. The inadequacies of the Keyone were the eye-opener.
    For some here a physical keyboard is a must and that alone justifies people buying a BlackBerry phone over other os. Just my 2 cents.
    ddp_in likes this.
    06-19-17 08:39 AM
    Lol. Yeah it's individual. But I only use it for business and I travel internationally constantly. I think the Keyone hardware and hardware-dependent function is inferior to every high end device including my Dtek60. The pkb is great but for me it didn't make up for mediocre performance in almost every way including the screen.
    Well, I travel internationally constantly, and I like my Priv. I absolutely hate Samsung, they make great phones, but their "tweaking" of Android is maddening. I absolutely hate working with a Samsung phone. My wife has Samsung, and it is harder for me to do things on it, than it is on the Priv, and I have been around Samsung longer than Blackdroid. When my wife needs to change a setting, she asks for help often, I then try to muddle through the horrific mess of the settings Samsung created. She has an awful time getting NFC to work for file sharing, I have mine ready, she turns it on, it doesn't work, we fiddle some more, then after some time, we finally get it to work. Maddening. So, it is personal.

I prefer the hardened OS found on the BlackBerry as well. It is the main reason I went with the Priv. Hers doesn't get updates as often as mine either. So, it is personal, good on you if you love Samsung better. Use it.
    06-19-17 09:46 AM
    Well, I travel internationally constantly, and I like my Priv. I absolutely hate Samsung, they make great phones, but their "tweaking" of Android is maddening. I absolutely hate working with a Samsung phone. My wife has Samsung, and it is harder for me to do things on it, than it is on the Priv, and I have been around Samsung longer than Blackdroid. When my wife needs to change a setting, she asks for help often, I then try to muddle through the horrific mess of the settings Samsung created. She has an awful time getting NFC to work for file sharing, I have mine ready, she turns it on, it doesn't work, we fiddle some more, then after some time, we finally get it to work. Maddening. So, it is personal.

I prefer the hardened OS found on the BlackBerry as well. It is the main reason I went with the Priv. Hers doesn't get updates as often as mine either. So, it is personal, good on you if you love Samsung better. Use it.
    Thanks for the perspective. I've never used a Samsung. Who knows, maybe I will stick with my Dtek60... 🤔
    vincentkong likes this.
    06-19-17 10:12 AM
    Thanks for the perspective. I've never used a Samsung. Who knows, maybe I will stick with my Dtek60... 🤔
    Have you actually used a KEYᵒⁿᵉ?
    06-19-17 11:15 AM
    Have you actually used a KEYᵒⁿᵉ?
    Yep. Just sent it back to Amazon. I had anticipated loving it but was super disappointed in most of its essential functions. The basic problem is that it's not competitive with flagship level devices in any core function other than a great battery and the obviously unique pkb. Screen clarity and sharpness, speed, and signal strength just didn't even compare to what I already had (Dtek60) and the two main plusses didn't make up for the list of inferior characteristics.
    06-19-17 11:24 AM
    Remember, just my opinion. Samsung definitely makes nice phone. I just don't like what they did to Android. I also prefer the hardened OS.
    06-19-17 06:27 PM
    Remember, just my opinion. Samsung definitely makes nice phone. I just don't like what they did to Android. I also prefer the hardened OS.
    I checked it out. The s8. I'm wary of all the Samsung bloatware. For now, I have optimized my Dtek60 and will wait for the Pixel 2.
    heidymadia likes this.
    06-19-17 06:32 PM
    You won't get BlackBerry virtual keyboard, at least not officially.
    06-19-17 11:44 PM
    It really all depends on what you want in a phone. At the end of the day they're both good phones, just depends on how you're going to use it, what you'll use it for and how much you want to pay. If it's the latest and greatest hardware then the cost will reflect it. I still prefer the BlackBerry take on the Android OS given the minimalist changes in the UI, with a few simple productivity tweaks or shortcuts that I use constantly. For whatever reason a bunch of the others - especially Samsung, though they are getting MUCH better lately - feel extremely clunky. Oh, and the security factor. That's a big deal for me.
    AmritD likes this.
    07-23-17 09:55 AM

Curious!? What are your perceived inadequacies!?
    07-25-17 06:04 AM
    For some here a physical keyboard is a must and that alone justifies people buying a BlackBerry phone over other os. Just my 2 cents.
    My main decision was the K1! I've used nonnpkb devices and the lack of touch typing accuracy was the bain of my frustrations, as I know I type correctly! The constant backspacing to fix grammar errors was making me nutts! I'm in a business that requires prompt business email replies! And my device also allows me to manage, view and write customer files! I don't want to blow up the op opinion as the device is not for everyone! It is a niche device and the market for niche devices is small! As they continue to make pkb devices I'm always going to use them! It just simply works!
    eiruvrav and RK_BB like this.
    07-25-17 06:11 AM
    My main decision was the K1! I've used nonnpkb devices and the lack of touch typing accuracy was the bain of my frustrations, as I know I type correctly! The constant backspacing to fix grammar errors was making me nutts! I'm in a business that requires prompt business email replies! And my device also allows me to manage, view and write customer files! I don't want to blow up the op opinion as the device is not for everyone! It is a niche device and the market for niche devices is small! As they continue to make pkb devices I'm always going to use them! It just simply works!
    I agree that as long as a pkb device is available ill be using one!
    07-25-17 07:26 AM
    I checked it out. The s8. I'm wary of all the Samsung bloatware. For now, I have optimized my Dtek60 and will wait for the Pixel 2.
    What do you mean by "optimize" ? Any tips? DTEK60 has been running pretty laggy lately. To the point that I now prefer using my work iPhone for Graphics and RAM Intensive things like Instagram, Snapchat, Pokémon Go
    08-25-17 10:03 PM
    Because KEYone is awesome !
    08-25-17 10:30 PM
    have you seen essential ph1? it caught my attention
    08-25-17 11:02 PM
    What do you mean by "optimize" ? Any tips? DTEK60 has been running pretty laggy lately. To the point that I now prefer using my work iPhone for Graphics and RAM Intensive things like Instagram, Snapchat, Pokémon Go
    I only meant that I use Gboard keyboard, Nova launcher, Textra texting, Business Calendar, so to customize it toward what I think is a far better Android experience while still using the Hub and Dtek apps, ie the core of BlackBerry. BlackBerry Android without swapping out like I did is actually very limited and suboptimal. In my own opinion.
    08-26-17 11:54 AM
    have you seen essential ph1? it caught my attention
    Yes I did. And now that Google's Pixel 2 is not at all as upgraded as originally anticipated, it falls far short of the S8, só I am now thinking about the s8. Other threads here and elsewhere have demonstrated that the S8 bloatware garbage from Samsung can be almost entirely eliminated. That's probably where I will head.
    08-26-17 11:56 AM
    If you are inside all day, the S8, S8+ and Note 8 may be fine. Go outside, and try and see the screen. Not fun. In my opinion, the KEYone certainly isn't perfect, but it's perfect for me. Important things to me: Consistent and Steady Battery Life, PKB and the flexibility and power of the shortcut keys, screen readability in all conditions, consistent updates and improvements, and a uniqueness the other phones don't have.
    08-27-17 06:56 AM