Hello,
    Is anyone using Hub+ and all the requisite apps on their Samsung Galaxy S8? If so, how are the services working? Any problems? Launcher, hub, contacts, password keeper issues? Need to know as I may have to switch to that phone in the next few days. Any help appreciated.
    08-18-17 08:13 AM
    I'm using the Hub+ suite on my S8+, no issues at all. It works great.

I don't use PW Keeper, though -- I use LastPass across my 4-5 mobile devices and PC's.
    Last edited by Ecm; 09-07-17 at 09:27 AM.
    08-18-17 08:47 AM
    Great do you use the launcher and does the swipe up features work well. Hub works well also?
    08-18-17 10:25 AM
    No issues for me. Hub for email is great and I love Password Keeper. Calendar and Contacts are fine but you do have other options. Contacts is slow for me.
    08-18-17 10:53 AM
    I have an S8 (not the +), and running about half of the apps. I've loaded most of them, tried a few and still deciding what I like.

I loaded the keyboard first, and for about a week and a half, that was the only BB software I had on it (besides the required BB Manager to get the vkb on it in the first place). Love it. All I really wanted was the word swipe feature that I missed from using the Z10 for 4 years. I used the default Samsung keyboard for the first week I had the phone before finally breaking down and loading up the BB Manager and BB keyboard. What's also nice about the BB Keyboard is that it doesn't take up nearly as much screen height. Of course, you can switch keyboards at any time. Yes, I know the Samsung keyboard actually has some size adjustment capability, but it just isn't enough.

Then, I went for the whole Hub, Calendar, Contacts, Notes, and Tasks group - which includes the Hub+ services since that's required with all those apps. It's not needed if you just want the keyboard.

The Samsung email app was actually not bad, but I missed being able to set my own account colors (it has colors, but it sets them for you, and displays as a very, very small box to the left of the message), and I wanted to have sent mail be visible in the main list. You can check your sent email in the Samsung email app, but you have to change the view list. That's just some extra steps, then you have to switch it back to the inbox view.

BTW, I ignored the Gmail app. It was the first thing I disabled in the phone before I even activated it to switch service over from the Z10 to the S8. In fact, my Google account isn't even a gmail address, but my home email address. I was able to avoid ever having to have a gmail address.

There's not a lot of difference between the Samsung contacts app and the BB contacts app. I find they both work equally well, and perform about the same. One thing I don't like is that neither app directly tells you which account a contact may be coming from. I have a few that are shared between work and home, and I don't want them linked (something both apps have the capability to do), but I wish there was a direct way for the app to show which account a specific contact is tied too. Right now, the only way is to edit a contact, then it shows you which account it's connected too.

The calendar, is something I may go back to the Samsung version for. I'm not liking the circles (in fact, I'm really beginning to hate the whole circle motif used in a lot of UI stuff - including this forum), and since I'm still using the default launcher, the calendar app screen icon does not change dates - just shows a static "31" on it. The only thing the BB calendar has going for it is the ability to but the phone in "meeting mode". Unfortunately, while it does show a status bar icon for meeting mode, it's always black and can't dynamically change to white if the background is dark like all the other status bar icons can. My wallpaper is dark blue at the top and the black icon almost disappears. Same thing on the Always On Screen - it shows up in it's own circle alert, but it looks blank - because the icon is black on a black background. The Samsung calendar, interestingly enough, actually does let you assign colors to your accounts (unlike the mail app - and they don't correspond to each other), so I can set my home and work calendars to the same colors as the home and work emails in the Hub. The other thing is that the widget for the Samsung calendar month and agenda views are more customizable. Since I'm still using the Samsung launcher (more on that in a minute), I can set the agenda (or whole calendar view if I wish) with a transparent background.

So, at the moment, I'm using the BB calendar, but also tying in both calendar accounts to the Samsung calendar to have that agenda view on my home screen. I'm still deciding how to sort that out, or just switch back full-time to the Samsung calendar.

I only tried the BB launcher for the first time yesterday, but didn't really like it that much. There's a lot to it, and I may experiment with it more later, but I like how Samsung greatly cleaned up the TouchWiz UI. My previous experience with TouchWiz was on my son's old Galaxy S4, and it was a mess.

Oh, and at one point while playing with the BB Launcher, it crashed on me and reverted back to the Samsung Launcher anyway. That was the first time an app crashed on me on the S8. And I already loaded up all the other apps I previously had on my Z10 through Cobalt's Play Store and that whole setup.

That's my experience so far.

Like I said, still working on a balance, but there's a lot to like.
    08-18-17 12:53 PM
    Wow. Fantastic. Thank you for that great explanation. I will be going with the S8 Active. This helps.
    08-18-17 02:17 PM
    So I now have an active. left my beloved priv. keyboard does not work with the active. the launcher is very slow but was slow on the prob after the last update. hub is still the best email application. not sure yet about calendar and contacts yet as the Samsung apps are about as good and integrated well with its own apps. So I am still testing. I really dig the s8 active. arguably the best phone I ever had. I don't think I will be going back to blackberry unless there is a powerhouse all touch device that TCL puts out. the keyone was just not for me.
    08-20-17 06:56 PM
    So I now have an active. left my beloved priv. keyboard does not work with the active. the launcher is very slow but was slow on the prob after the last update. hub is still the best email application. not sure yet about calendar and contacts yet as the Samsung apps are about as good and integrated well with its own apps. So I am still testing. I really dig the s8 active. arguably the best phone I ever had. I don't think I will be going back to blackberry unless there is a powerhouse all touch device that TCL puts out. the keyone was just not for me.
    The BlackBerry keyboard does work with the S8. I am using it now as I type on my S8+.
    08-20-17 07:04 PM
    The BlackBerry keyboard does work with the S8. I am using it now as I type on my S8+.
    Nope. When my wife and I tried to install off of play store, it stated it wasn't compatible with my version of the device. When I search the play store the bb vkb does not show up. In fact when I search my play store library is says it's incompatible. What software version are you on. I have 7.0..
    08-20-17 07:13 PM
    Nope. When my wife and I tried to install off of play store, it stated it wasn't compatible with my version of the device. When I search the play store the bb vkb does not show up.
    I said it works on the galaxy. I didn't say you could install it from the play store. That clearly does not work. Read the whole post.
    08-20-17 07:15 PM
    Ok. I did read the post. How did you get it to install and work. Tips would be helpful. Ty.
    08-20-17 07:18 PM
    Ok. I did read the post. How did you get it to install and work. Tips would be helpful. Ty.
    Try searching for Cobalt 's BlackBerry Manager. That's the ticket.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    08-20-17 07:20 PM
    Try searching for Cobalt 's BlackBerry Manager. That's the ticket.
    That's what I'm using.
    08-20-17 08:48 PM
    My Priv just got too difficult to use with the frequent battery drain and warm processor and clunky UI. Got an S8 and the difference in S/w is like Windows Xp vs the latest Mac OS in my books.

After reading a few replies in this thread, i think BlackBerry Canadeh, the Android App making software company haven't optimised their paid apps on the best selling top of the line Android h/w in the world.

I'm sure there's quite a few S8 users who can pay for this app companies apps provided they optimise it.
    09-07-17 03:26 AM
    The Hub and Password Keeper are the two apps that matter most. contacts comes in third. What I like most about the Hub is it shows both sent and received emails. Contacts I like for you can list by company.
    09-07-17 05:12 AM
    I should note sometimes the Contact app lags.
    09-07-17 09:19 AM
    I should note sometimes the Contact app lags.
    What is it that "lags" in the contacts app for you? I have not experienced any noticeable problems with it, but it is just a list. Scrolling isn't a problem. But then, I've only got a little over 400 pulling from 3 different accounts.

I've found everything to run very smooth on my S8. The Hub, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes. I have the launcher, and tried it, but I've settled on Nova Prime launcher. I got the paid version to get the notification badges on the apps - with the numbers. What's nice is that the calendar app icon date display works in the Nova launcher while it did not work with the Samsung TouchWiz launcher (stuck on "31").
    09-07-17 10:10 AM
    What is it that "lags" in the contacts app for you? I have not experienced any noticeable problems with it, but it is just a list. Scrolling isn't a problem. But then, I've only got a little over 400 pulling from 3 different accounts.

I've found everything to run very smooth on my S8. The Hub, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes. I have the launcher, and tried it, but I've settled on Nova Prime launcher. I got the paid version to get the notification badges on the apps - with the numbers. What's nice is that the calendar app icon date display works in the Nova launcher while it did not work with the Samsung TouchWiz launcher (stuck on "31").
    The lag is when I open the app...I have quite a few contacts. Trust me it is ok. The BlackBerry Hub Suite is very good.
    09-07-17 05:43 PM
    of all the apps that bb has. the hub and password keeper are the keepers. will see how intrusive the ads are.
    09-08-17 10:55 PM
    If you use Cobalt's BlackBerry Manager for all the apps, you won't get ads.
    09-08-17 11:14 PM
    I use the pay service and the Samsung Keyboard. You can also try SwiftKey keyboard. Overall the BlackBerry apps are the best. Calendar is the only one that is so so. Samsung and Google calendars are great options.
    09-09-17 09:35 AM
    Note...getting a Keyone this week.
    09-09-17 09:36 AM
    of all the apps that bb has. the hub and password keeper are the keepers. will see how intrusive the ads are.
    Password Keeper only has Ads on the lock screen. If you are on a BlackBerry device or have subscribed to the Hub + Suite then you won't have Ads.
    09-11-17 04:01 AM
    I use the Hub on the S8. I also use the Google keyboard (imo better and far more configurable than the BlackBerry keyboard) and the Nova launcher (fantastic); Textra for text messaging, and Business Calendar - everything works smoothly and I am thrilled with it.
    Bfalcon1 likes this.
    09-13-17 06:39 PM
    I use the Hub on the S8. I also use the Google keyboard (imo better and far more configurable than the BlackBerry keyboard) and the Nova launcher (fantastic); Textra for text messaging, and Business Calendar - everything works smoothly and I am thrilled with it.
    Does the swipe up feature work where it brings up 3 icons of your choice, HUB, Google etc.? I installed BlackBerry Manager and all the apps on my LG V20 work phone and nothing happens when I swipe up. Really liked that about the DTEK50 when I played with it in store. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-17 09:41 PM
43 12