Hello everyone !

I bought a Blackberry key2 (AZERTY - i'm french, sorry for my english) and I would like to test the hub. Now i disabled it because of my question.

So, when I use id, i receive some messages by notification in Hub and Messenger. and when I go to the hub, and clic for read and reply the message, Messenger is opening: useless to use(!) the hub...

Maybe the same for other app (mail, ...), i didn't try.

Tks !

Vincent
    12-27-18 02:05 AM
    Mail is native to the hub, but other apps like whatsapp, messenger etc will open the actual app if you reply or make new message from within the hub.

In BB10 that was handled better but I guess that are the limitations from Android maybe?
    VBPix84 and Vistaus like this.
    12-27-18 06:37 AM
    Tks ! That's what I thought...
    the second problem is: when i put a smiley in a SMS, it's all right but, when it's in messenger, i have to clic again in the field again for activate it.
    Android's problem i think...
    Vincent
    12-27-18 07:39 AM
    Mail is native to the hub, but other apps like whatsapp, messenger etc will open the actual app if you reply or make new message from within the hub.

In BB10 that was handled better but I guess that are the limitations from Android maybe?
    Not sure if Android is limiting this. Could also be because on BB10, it was kind of mandatory to have integration as the Hub was the de facto "notification tray", but on Android, it's more of an addition to the OS, even on BB-branded phones. That's also proven by the fact that not every app pushes messages to the Hub; BlackBerry has to add support for apps. Wish we got the bb10-style Hub back though.
    12-27-18 12:11 PM
    Developers can integrate better with the HUB of they so choose. I am using a Pixel 3 with the full BlackBerry suite installed.

Textra will open a widget direct from HUB that "peeks" directly into the app/message. BBM app will also open directly to the conversation I open from the HUB. But many other apps, such as LinkedIn and Reddit will only open the app to the main start page.
    12-27-18 04:25 PM
    @VBPix84

If you look around in the forum I covered the subject of app integration and in-line reply experience in the Android version of Hub versus the BB10 version many times.

In short, what you are looking for goes against the eco system of Android and therefore not likely to happen as app developers want users to spend as much time as possible within their app and not just use them to pull commuinication data from a client such as Hub though if an integrated app will open an API to Hub then it most likely will be possible to create a fully supported in-line relpy experience, similarly to the way it works on BB10.
    @dendron01

With regards to the current Android integration standards, in order to be directed from Hub to the actual conversation rather than to the message list within the integrated app, Hub require OS level access that is not available to BlackBerry on none BalckBerry devices. It may work for a short period and then break with a device restart or cache clearance.

You can expect this redirection to work flawlessly on BalckBerry Android devices though.
    12-27-18 04:39 PM
    @RK_BB

Opera, at least on Windows, appears to have an equivalent to the Hub which allows reply from within a single panel. What is the difference, beneath the surface, between what Opera is doing on Windows (and other OS's?) and what Hub can't seem to get done on Android?

And, from outward appearances, BlackBerry must have access to the OS in order to secure it, so how is it that they cannot access the OS in order to communicate

Full disclosure: I have not made the switch to Android, and the absence of a full Hub experience is one of the things holding me back.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-18 11:50 AM
    @RK_BB

Opera, at least on Windows, appears to have an equivalent to the Hub which allows reply from within a single panel. What is the difference, beneath the surface, between what Opera is doing on Windows (and other OS's?) and what Hub can't seem to get done on Android?

And, from outward appearances, BlackBerry must have access to the OS in order to secure it, so how is it that they cannot access the OS in order to communicate

Full disclosure: I have not made the switch to Android, and the absence of a full Hub experience is one of the things holding me back.

Posted via CB10
    I am not familiar with the UX you refer to therefore I can't comment other than saying that Windows cannot be compared with Android in which applications work in sandboxes and therefore the access required in order to create an in-line reply experience on Android is at the integrated app level, not the OS level.

Hub will need both read and write access to said apps and while reading is possible using OS level access, writing a whole different matter that OS level access, though may be needed is insufficient and even if it was, I am pretty sure it is illegal to do without getting consent from any app you are writing to from an external application.
    12-31-18 12:00 PM