https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/t...-trackers.html

"They all tell a similar story: They ran apps that helped people limit the time they and their children spent on iPhones. Then Apple created its own screen-time tracker. And then Apple made staying in business very, very difficult."

"On Thursday, two of the most popular parental-control apps, Kidslox and Qustodio, filed a complaint with the European Union’s competition office. Kidslox said business had plummeted since Apple forced changes to its app that made it less useful than Apple’s tool."

One could argue that Google's forced hobbling of the Hub follows the same pattern as the above. Although BB's half-hearted approach to the Hub may be partly responsible for its current state, there appears to be no plausible justification for Google's refusal to work with BB so the Hub could properly handle SMS etc. -- except that Google wants to promote its own tools and stifle competition. One recalls that MS went through the same thing years ago with the attempt to force Internet Explorer on everyone -- until the Europeans put a stop to it.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    04-27-19 07:19 AM
    One could.. but BlackBerry would have to care enough to do so, and I'm sure they really don't. Steve Zipperstein is not lying awake at night thinking about an antitrust suit against Google over an app that I doubt registers as a blip on their financials. It would cost more to fight the battle.
    04-27-19 07:31 PM
    One could.. but BlackBerry would have to care enough to do so, and I'm sure they really don't.
    Unfortunately and indeed, this is the bottom line of the matter.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-19 09:15 AM