We are losing functionality because Android continues to evolve, while the HUB hobbles along behind, like an old car that leaves rusted pieces of itself strewn across the roadway and black smoke billowing from its exhaust pipe.

If this is what they call app development, it's time for this wreck to be put out to the scrap heap and be done with it.
    Why do you bother using it if it is that frustrating for you?
    02-23-19 12:38 PM
    I won't answer for Dendron01, but I'll answer for myself.

I use the Hub+ because I am trying to reach the same level of fluidity and efficiency I have enjoyed on BB10 For the past six years. I also wanted to support BlackBerry's effort to bring BB10 features to Android.

Unlike Dendron01, I am not really upset with BlackBerry about the fact that the Android Hub+ Suite is seriously deficient. But I am disappointed that the BB10 UX is still superior to Android, and that BlackBerry hasn't really been able to improve the situation.

Honestly, I'd be happier if Google just took care of these issues on their own. IMO, creating a great user experience for phone, SMS and email on a smartphone should be the responsibility of the OS and should not require third parties.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-23-19 12:56 PM
    Mobile is not top of mind for BlackBerry. Chen has stated as much several times. Until this changes we can expect to lose more functionality.
    I don't agree.

The BlackBerry App suite is its own profit centre. It earns revenues via licencing and subscription fees. So long as it continues to provide adequate ROI, I see no reason not to keep it active and evolving.
    02-23-19 12:57 PM
    We are losing functionality because Android continues to evolve, while the HUB hobbles along behind, like an old car that leaves rusted pieces of itself strewn across the roadway and black smoke billowing from its exhaust pipe.

If this is what they call app development, it's time for this wreck to be put out to the scrap heap and be done with it.
    Aside from its other features, I still find the HUB the best email client on Android - by a wide margin.

That alone is enough to keep me using it.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    02-23-19 01:00 PM
    Aside from its other features, I still find the HUB the best email client on Android - by a wide margin.

Agreed!

Perhaps a better way to go would be for BlackBerry to request an API from some of the major integrated apps so that we can have the in-line reply experience we are all after?

It's a long shot and basically goes again Android economics where app developers try to keep users in their applications for as long as possible but it's worth a try! Maybe there is a tradeoff that's worth exploring like security / privacy services.
    02-23-19 01:08 PM

And that's fine, for you. But as an overall direction and given how the Hub is currently being marketed to consumers, that means the entire app should re-position itself as an email client and BlackBerry should come clean about it, rather than perpetuate this senseless charade and pretending it's "all Google's fault".

I mean seriously. Was depending on Google to grant BlackBerry them a special exemption actually a strategy??? Even BlackBerry couldn't possibly be THAT naive.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    02-23-19 01:08 PM
    Agreed!

Perhaps a better way to go would be for BlackBerry to request an API from some of the major integrated apps so that we can have the in-line reply experience we are all after?

It's a long shot and basically goes again Android economics where app developers try to keep users in their applications for as long as possible but it's worth a try! Maybe there is a tradeoff that's worth exploring like security / privacy services.
    The problem is that those other apps have become so evolved and sophisticated that any attempt to duplicate their functionality in the HUB would be terribly limiting.
    02-23-19 01:10 PM

I agree with this. Unfortunately for me, I find the Hub on BB10 superior for email in the Android Hub by a similar wide margin. However the loss of Connect to Microsoft OneDrive, and the possible (likely?) loss of BlackBerry Protect at the end of 2019 will drive me off of BB10 for security reasons. (Not being able to remote wipe my phone in the event of loss or theft is an absolute deal-breaker! )

02-23-19 01:11 PM
    And that's fine, for you. But as an overall direction and given how the Hub is currently being marketed to consumers, that means the entire app should re-position itself as an email client and BlackBerry should come clean about it, rather than perpetuate this senseless charade and pretending it's "all Google's fault".

I mean seriously. Was depending on Google to grant BlackBerry them a special exemption actually a strategy??? Even BlackBerry couldn't possibly be THAT naive.
    Plan B makes even less sense. Developing their own SMS client would be a useless money pit.
    02-23-19 01:11 PM
    The problem is that those other apps have become so evolved and sophisticated that any attempt to duplicate their functionality in the HUB would be terribly limiting.
    I hear you but maybe only for text exchange (which already exists at the OS level i.e reply from the notification shade); anything beyond that like file attachments etc will still require full app access.

Again, a long shot but I think it's probably the only way otherwise what we have is as is!
    02-23-19 01:19 PM
    I hear you but maybe only for text exchange (which already exists at the OS level i.e reply from the notification shade); anything beyond that like file attachments etc will still require full app access.

Again, a long shot but I think it's probably the only way otherwise what we have is as is!
    Any deeper level of integration would require full buy-in from the respective developer (say, WhatsApp). They would have to put together a team to coordinate development with BlackBerry to bring a "lite" version of their app to the HUB. I see nothing in this for the 3rd party. They would just be providing a compromised experience, at great expense.
    02-23-19 01:28 PM
    Plan B makes even less sense. Developing their own SMS client would be a useless money pit.
    By that logic, the entire Hub is a useless money pit. You could just as easily say who needs a BlackBerry email client. Or any of the other apps for that matter? They all have equal (or in most cases) better alternatives.

As opposed to "evolving with Android" as you suggest, what I see is product that has failed to evolve and that can no longer justify it's own existence.
    02-23-19 01:31 PM
    Any deeper level of integration would require full buy-in from the respective developer (say, WhatsApp). They would have to put together a team to coordinate development with BlackBerry to bring a "lite" version of their app to the HUB. I see nothing in this for the 3rd party. They would just be providing a compromised experience, at great expense.
    Make sense. Dang it. What do we have to sell them developers that will make this proposition plausible conite? Think! It's on you.
    02-23-19 01:31 PM
    By that logic, the entire Hub is a useless money pit. You could just as easily say who needs a BlackBerry email client. Or any of the other apps for that matter? They all have equal (or in most cases) better alternatives.

As opposed to "evolving with Android" as you suggest, what I see is product that has failed to evolve and that can no longer justify it's own existence.
    I don't see how the effectiveness or future of BlackBerry Android devices rests with an SMS client - or even the HUB. Many people use the devices without any BlackBerry apps at all, and always have.

It's about the keyboard, the kernel hardening, and Integrity Detection.
    02-23-19 01:34 PM
    Make sense. Dang it. What do we have to sell them developers that will make this proposition plausible conite? Think! It's on you.
    I've got a plan. It involves large amounts of plutonium, so it will take a while.
    02-23-19 01:35 PM
    I've got a plan. It involves large amounts of plutonium, so it will take a while.
    OK, I'm officially nervous. Conite has taken too much abuse around here, and now he's planning something with fissionable material!

john_v likes this.
    02-23-19 01:42 PM
    I don't see how the effectiveness or future of BlackBerry Android devices rests with an SMS client - or even the HUB. Many people use the devices without any BlackBerry apps at all, and always have.

It's about the keyboard, the kernel hardening, and Integrity Detection.
    And what is so special about keyboard devices that they require kernel hardening and integrity detection? Is that in order to achieve the prestige necessary to receive a BlackBerry logo?

Security is the add-on no one seems to care about, or need, from BlackBerry. Google is already responsible for that on Android. Without the Hub, everything BlackBerry is doing is a useless money pit. Might as well just stick a BlackBerry logo on TCL's keyboard phone, and collect a cheque. Everything else is "too hard".
    02-23-19 01:52 PM
    And what is so special about keyboard devices that they require kernel hardening and integrity detection?
    Huh? They are unrelated.

If you don't need added hardening like Knox or BlackBerry Android, then so be it. But as 40% of BBMo sales are to business, it is an important feature.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    02-23-19 01:58 PM
    I'm starting to wonder the same thing myself.

As I stated, I will re-evaluate once I get the update. Right now I am on a Pixel 3, so BlackBerry Mobile has already lost a hardware customer by cutting too many corners on its specs. I will continue to be a Hub subscriber provided it does what I need it to do. I don't need or want it to run all my notifications anyway, but without SMS and possibly call logs, I may end up shopping around for a better email client if that's all I'm going to be using it for anyway.
    02-23-19 02:01 PM
    Huh? They are unrelated.

No kidding. That was my point.
    02-23-19 02:03 PM
    No kidding. That was my point.
    Then I'm confused. I didn't say they were related either.

They both just represent the value-add of BBMo devices.
    02-23-19 02:04 PM
    Then I'm confused. I didn't say they were related either.

They both just represent the value-add of BBMo devices.
    Maybe it's because you said this in the same sentence:

It's about the keyboard, the kernel hardening, and Integrity Detection

LOL
    joeldf likes this.
    02-23-19 02:06 PM
    Maybe it's because you said this in the same sentence:

It's about the keyboard, the kernel hardening, and Integrity Detection

LOL
    Yes. It's a list. Like a Mazda CX-5 Signature edition comes with Nappa leather, a 2.5ltr turbo-4, and 19" wheels.
    02-23-19 02:08 PM
    I'm starting to wonder the same thing myself.

As I stated, I will re-evaluate once I get the update. Right now I am on a Pixel 3, so BlackBerry Mobile has already lost a hardware customer by cutting too many corners on its specs. I will continue to be a Hub subscriber provided it does what I need it to do. I don't need or want it to run all my notifications anyway, but without SMS and possibly call logs, I may end up shopping around for a better email client if that's all I'm going to be using it for anyway.
    Perhaps the fact that BB puts economic ROI and economic profits as primary targets still requires some adjustments from where people are sitting, to realize, it’s ok if BB can’t serve you.
    02-23-19 02:41 PM
    What's the risk if BB removes the suits from playstore and implement hotupdate within the app itself? Can it bypass playstore restrictions and enable users download the suits from BB website directly?
    02-23-19 02:46 PM
126 1234 ...