This new public release is pretty significant and as expected caused a great deal of confusion to many users, specifically ones that upgraded their OS from Nougat to Oreo!

I have seen some frustrated users in the last few days and thought I would try to explain what you are experiencing which in most cases, aren’t what you might think of as “bugs”.

As you may have noticed with other apps after you upgraded to Oreo, the OS is taking over notification management almost entirely but in order for it to be able to do so apps need to target what is referred to as API Level 27 which until this version, Hub did not target and this is where things became a little confusing for some users.

Earlier this month Google mandated that in order to approve any app update in Play Store it must target API 27, otherwise the update would be rejected so before you dislike this update, maybe because you lost your LED configuration know that it is compulsory.

In a nutshell, Notification Channels allows the user app level granular controls over notification management, unlike before! You can configure vibration, ringtone, importance level, notification dot and much more per app, per event and all of that is done at the OS level rather than at the app level, for the most part.

If you want to dive in and understand more take a look here: https://www.androidcentral.com/notification-channels

So now that your Hub is updated to the latest version you may have noticed that you “lost” the ability to control your LED colors, set your ringtones, vibration and heads up notification. This is NOT a downgrade or a “bug” but the essence of what most of this update is about.

Apart from LED colors, all these settings are now in your Hub notification settings at the OS level! Head over to Settings\Apps & notifications\Hub\App notifications – it should be self-explanatory from there.

The one draw back that users might be somewhat disappointed about is LED control; while it is certainly available in your Oreo notifications settings, the color can only be configured as you set up your email account in Hub. This is a one-time setup that cannot change unless you remove the account and reconfigure it which in most cases is a fairly easy process. If your settings was affected after the update, go ahead and remove your email account, add it back in and you will see the settings during the configuration process.

While this is a little overwhelming at first, I assure you that once you get the hang of how it works you will appreciate how neat these notification controls are!
    Last edited by RK_BB; 11-29-18 at 11:33 PM.
    11-29-18 10:19 PM
    Thanks for this! I've seen a lot of posts from users that didn't understand the changes Oreo made and blaming BB/Hub+.
    11-29-18 10:36 PM
    Thanks for this!
    Pleasure!
    11-29-18 11:28 PM
    All settings on
    Didn't work...
    Attached Thumbnails Issues with latest Hub updates? Read this!-347922.jpg  
    11-30-18 10:21 AM
    Have an issue with the latest update. Emails coming in vibrating when the vibrate notifications are set to off, pls help.
    12-09-18 03:06 PM
    Have an issue with the latest update. Emails coming in vibrating when the vibrate notifications are set to off, pls help.
    This means your ringer is set to Vibrate. Turn up the volume to kick it our vibration mode.
    12-09-18 03:20 PM
    But I want the ringer to be on vibrate while emails just trigger led notification.
    12-09-18 03:25 PM
    But I want the ringer to be on vibrate while emails just trigger led notification.
    I am not sure this setup is possible. I will have to check.
    12-09-18 04:12 PM
    How is that possible? Been a standard feature forever and now it's gone?
    12-09-18 04:46 PM
    How is that possible? Been a standard feature forever and now it's gone?
    Go to Settings \ Sound and toggle On Also vibrate for calls

This will ensure that your phone will vibrate whenever calls come in.

Now go to your Hub notification settings and set it to whichever Importance level you want depending on the desired behavior.
    12-10-18 12:39 AM
    Go to Settings \ Sound and toggle On Also vibrate for calls

This will ensure that your phone will vibrate whenever calls come in.

Now go to your Hub notification settings and set it to whichever Importance level you want depending on the desired behavior.
    OK, but in this scenario, what happens to messages, WhatsApp, kakao talk, which are all set to vibrate, if I raise the volume rocker to silent (to get rid of the vibrate for emails) I will be silencing them as well, wouldn't i?
    12-10-18 08:14 AM
    OK, but in this scenario, what happens to messages, WhatsApp, kakao talk, which are all set to vibrate, if I raise the volume rocker to silent (to get rid of the vibrate for emails) I will be silencing them as well, wouldn't i?
    I am pretty sure you would though I haven't tested it so I can't confirm.
    12-10-18 09:34 AM
    I am pretty sure you would though I haven't tested it so I can't confirm.
    That's what it sounds like to me as well. All I want is for my emails top be silent (just led), while everything else is vibrate. Can't be that complicated.
    12-10-18 09:47 AM
    That's what it sounds like to me as well. All I want is for my emails top be silent (just led), while everything else is vibrate. Can't be that complicated.
    Then set your Default notification sound to None (top menu selection): Settings \ Sound \ Default notification sound

Then set all your app level notifications to Vibrate and your emails to Default notification sound under High Importance level.

Then, if your settings under Apps & notifications \ Notifications \ Blink light is toggled to the On position you should be good.
    12-10-18 09:55 AM
    your emails to Default notification sound under High Importance level...
    I can only choose the option of high importance. I can't specify or customize it in any way.
    12-10-18 10:05 AM
    contacts app just crashes now when I try to open it. really messing with my style here. s9 subscriber. please fix it
    12-10-18 10:08 AM
    I can only choose the option of high importance. I can't specify or customize it in any way.
    This means the app which you are trying to configure notifications for doesn't target API 27 yet.

Check if there is an update on Play Store and if not tinker with the in-app's notification settings.

If the in-app notification settings doesn't allow for the desired notification settings then you are out of luck until they update the app to target API 27.
    12-10-18 10:09 AM
    This means the app which you are trying to configure notifications for doesn't target API 27 yet.

Check if there is an update on Play Store and if not tinker with the in-app's notification settings.

If the in-app notification settings doesn't allow for the desired notification settings then you are out of luck until they update the app to target API 27.
    We are talking about blackberry HUB here. I can just choose the importance level but not choose the underlying customization in it.
    12-10-18 10:14 AM
    We are talking about blackberry HUB here. I can just choose the importance level but not choose the underlying customization in it.
    What is your Hub version?
    12-10-18 10:28 AM
    What is your Hub version?
    12-10-18 10:30 AM
    contacts app just crashes now when I try to open it. really messing with my style here. s9 subscriber. please fix it
    Do you have the Verizon Cloud app installed? Without a Verizon Cloud account? If so, and if you don't use Verizon Cloud, then disabling the Verizon Cloud app will work around it. We're working on a fix.
    12-10-18 10:34 AM
    Assuming you are on Android Oreo you should be good.

Other than High, I am not sure why you aren't seeing more Importance Levels.

Can you send a screenshot of your Hub Notification Settings?
    12-10-18 10:34 AM
    I see other importance levels. Ie urgent, high, medium, low... no "default"
    12-10-18 10:39 AM
    I see other importance levels. Ie urgent, high, medium, low... no "default"
    There are 4 Importance Levels: Low, Medium, High & Urgent

Default notification sound (not to be confused with Importance Level) can be configured under Settings \ Sound \ Default notification sound
    12-10-18 10:44 AM
    I actually have cloud off my phone. I'll dig in the apps settings and make sure it's disabled. thank you for responding. Yes I'm on oreo
    12-10-18 10:50 AM
34 12