Hi,

I have receuved my new Huawei P40 Pro today and startad to download the apps that I normally use. There's a bug BUT! Huawei are not allowed to use Google. The have their own AppGalldry where you can find apps but no Google apps. For mail I can use Outlook, but is it possible to use BlackBerry Hub that I have been using from the very start. Any information available?
    04-23-20 11:56 AM
    Hi,

I have receuved my new Huawei P40 Pro today and startad to download the apps that I normally use. There's a bug BUT! Huawei are not allowed to use Google. The have their own AppGalldry where you can find apps but no Google apps. For mail I can use Outlook, but is it possible to use BlackBerry Hub that I have been using from the very start. Any information available?
    This is going to be the BIG elephant in the room with all new Huawei devices (unless some deal is worked out). Since BlackBerry suite of apps requires Google Play Services, you will not be able to get the Hub or any other of the apps to work. You can download and install apps from other app stores (at the risk of installing rogue/malware etc) such as APKMirror, APKPure etc and, ironically, many will work but throw up that warning " this app will not work without Google Play Services". If you tap outside that warning box, the app may then work for you (although not all features will be available). Fantastic hardware in that P40 and a great looking device but you will unfortunately find many limitations unless Huawei can get those apps. I've noticed that they are adding a great deal of new titles (my wife has a P30) but you won't find (and probably never will) North American or European banking apps for instance.
    04-23-20 12:10 PM
    Hi,

Are you coming from another Android phone which you used Blackberry apps on? You can use the Huawei phone clone app to bring all your apps downloaded from the Google store from your old phone to your new Huawei P40... Search for Huawei phone clone app in the Google store and install it on your old phone first...
    04-23-20 12:41 PM
    Are you coming from another Android phone which you used Blackberry apps on? You can use the Huawei phone clone app to bring all your apps downloaded from the Google store from your old phone to your new Huawei P40... Search for Huawei phone clone app in the Google store and install it on your old phone first...
    Doesn't change the dependence on Google Services for any of the apps that requires it.... many that are paid or ad supported are going to give errors or not work.

I'd try Coblat's BlackBerry Manager....
    04-23-20 02:10 PM
    Doesn't change the dependence on Google Services for any of the apps that requires it.... many that are paid or ad supported are going to give errors or not work.

I'd try Coblat's BlackBerry Manager....
    You'd be surprised how many apps don't require GMS to run... I have a MatePad Pro and have managed to get the vast majority of apps to run on it... One app that didn't work was Netflix... Was able to install an older apk which didn't rely on GMS and hey presto Netflix works... You can also install the Amazon app store for their apps and many others... Plenty of videos on You Tube which can aid the OP with all of the above...
    04-23-20 02:17 PM
    You'd be surprised how many apps don't require GMS to run... I have a MatePad Pro and have managed to get the vast majority of apps to run on it... One app that didn't work was Netflix... Was able to install an older apk which didn't rely on GMS and hey presto Netflix works... You can also install the Amazon app store for their apps and many others... Plenty of videos on You Tube which can aid the OP with all of the above...
    How about the aforementioned banking apps? Google Maps will work the same as on a BB10 device but you can't sign in. Social media apps may also be problematic.
    04-23-20 03:16 PM
    How about the aforementioned banking apps? Google Maps will work the same as on a BB10 device but you can't sign in. Social media apps may also be problematic.
    This is not about Huawei versus Google, the OP wanted to know how to get Blackberry apps on his P40... Social media apps are not a problem... Many alternatives to Google maps... Guess the OP understood what he was getting into and there are many you Tube guides detailing how easy it is to install the most popular Android applications...
    04-23-20 03:30 PM
    This is not about Huawei versus Google, the OP wanted to know how to get Blackberry apps on his P40... Social media apps are not a problem... Many alternatives to Google maps... Guess the OP understood what he was getting into and there are many you Tube guides detailing how easy it is to install the most popular Android applications...
    Yep, I get that. The OP may not even need those apps but just in case he/she was wondering if/how they would work.
    Grungni likes this.
    04-23-20 04:00 PM
    Unless you live in Communist China, you should NOT buy Huawei phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-20 07:13 PM
    Unless you live in Communist China, you should NOT buy Huawei phones.

Posted via CB10
    Nonsense.
    04-23-20 07:34 PM
    Yep, I get that. The OP may not even need those apps but just in case he/she was wondering if/how they would work.
    Of course there are some difficult methods to get Google apps on the P40. But it CAN be done.
    04-23-20 07:43 PM
    Nonsense.
    Why is it nonsense? A little context would help your attack.

They have nice cameras, that's for sure, and I agree that Google sucks, but their services are pretty much necessary in a modern device.

Plus, given how interconnected the CCP and Huawei are, I'm not interested in providing such a dangerous regime with my personal information and data

Posted via CB10
    04-23-20 07:44 PM
    Of course there are some difficult methods to get Google apps on the P40. But it CAN be done.
    Sure it can but like I said, without Services those apps will lack some features.
    04-23-20 07:47 PM
    Why is it nonsense? A little context would help your attack.

They have nice cameras, that's for sure, and I agree that Google sucks, but their services are pretty much necessary in a modern device.

Plus, given how interconnected the CCP and Huawei are, I'm not interested in providing such a dangerous regime with my personal information and data

Posted via CB10
    A happy medium would be to wait until it can be rooted and install AOSP with Gapps.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-23-20 07:47 PM
    Sure it can but like I said, without Services those apps will lack some features.
    Yes, but that's what I'm talking about. You can install GPS. It's just a bit messy right now.
    04-23-20 07:48 PM
    Yes, but that's what I'm talking about. You can install GPS. It's just a bit messy right now.
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Google plugged that hole. It is actually GMS (Google Mobile Services) that used to be able to be sideloaded but afaik that was stopped. Huawei is developing it's own HMS to try and get around the problem and is working with Tom Tom for mapping and other cloud-based app functions (Uber etc and other apps requiring location). Whether they will be successful is really doubtful.
    04-23-20 08:07 PM
    A happy medium would be to wait until it can be rooted and install AOSP with Gapps.
    Absolutely agree. Still waiting to hear why what I said is nonsense though...

Posted via CB10
    04-23-20 08:08 PM
    That won't happen. No more root for Huawei devices since the P9 (one of my phones that was the last- and yes, mine is rooted.
    04-23-20 08:12 PM
    Absolutely agree. Still waiting to hear why what I said is nonsense though...

Posted via CB10
    I don't really care to get into political discussions.
    04-23-20 08:13 PM
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Google plugged that hole. It is actually GMS (Google Mobile Services) that used to be able to be sideloaded but afaik that was stopped. Huawei is developing it's own HMS to try and get around the problem and is working with Tom Tom for mapping and other cloud-based app functions (Uber etc and other apps requiring location). Whether they will be successful is really doubtful.
    I believe you're correct. GMS - not GPS.
    04-23-20 08:18 PM
    That won't happen. No more root for Huawei devices since the P9 (one of my phones that was the last- and yes, mine is rooted.
    I thought the XDA folks rooted the P30 Pro. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://forum.xda-developers.com/hua...-code-t3938285

Admittedly, I'm not an expert on rooting though. Nor do I know how they obtained the unlocking code.
    04-23-20 08:20 PM
    I don't really care to get into political discussions.
    Concession accepted.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-20 08:40 PM
    I thought the XDA folks rooted the P30 Pro. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://forum.xda-developers.com/hua...-code-t3938285

Admittedly, I'm not an expert on rooting though. Nor do I know how they obtained the unlocking code.
    Well I'll be ... thanks for that! Unlock codes come from here: https://www.dc-unlocker.com/ but last I checked those devices had nothing.

update: after further investigation it seems that xda post above for rooting the P30 is fake. Bootloader unlock code remains unobtainable afaik.

Sorry about hijacking thread - I will show myself out - Sorry to OP!
    Last edited by brookie229; 04-23-20 at 10:23 PM.
    04-23-20 09:46 PM
    Hi all, Thinks for all the information
    04-23-20 11:09 PM
    Before installera anytning I've performed a little research about the apps that I use daily. Firstly, I live in Sweden (10 mil people) where mobile banking is more than a must, So, my banking apps are there already.
    Social media like FB, Insta etc can be found ation in various places
    Communication like SMS and Whatsapp will work. For E-mail and productivity I use BlackBerry Hub+. One of thevreasons for that is the HTML capabilities (important fir me as I only use phones and perhaps a tablet due bad eyes. It's very important for me to be able to increase font size when writing and BlackBerry Mail in Hub is very handy here.
    Thanks again and I will report back about my findings
    Grungni and brookie229 like this.
    04-23-20 11:52 PM
31 12