Ever since @smcv left the building, I'm kinda bummed out that the camera app doesn't seem to be in development any longer. At least not on my Priv.

It seems like they consider it a "finished project". All BB apps have gotten updates probably more than a dozen times, not the cam app.
    It's like they are still searching for someone to replace smcv since he moved on?!

Last cam update I recall was the introduction of manual settings and the light torch feature.

Okay, I'm not talking about picture quality improvements as you can do only so much with the lens that comes with a phone,

I'm talking about adding: features, settings, options, user interface improvements, "gimmicks", customization, privacy features etc.
    It's so basic now.

For example what about the following:

1. I just read about the BB Juno, and they were talking about: "Private Capture Mode": where photos and videos get stored in a private folder which can't be opened without a password. When you are in "Standard Capture Mode", you will not be able to click in the thumbnail preview in the left bottom corner to view pictures taken in the "Private Capture Mode". Vice versa. (Click three times on the pic to have the maximum zoom):Camera app: Is it a "finished product" now? Private capture feature? And more suggestions inside.-juno-2.jpg

2. Date & Time stamp option on photos (many professions would consider this a super handy feature):
    Mentioned here: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...hotos-1054861/

3. Better photo browsing options.When you for instance would click and hold the preview thumbnail in the left bottom corner within the cam app, that it would open a basic grid view of your pictures and videos, ideally identical to OS7, so with retention to the full title of the photo in question when you would scroll over it via the touch sensitive keyboard. When you click/hold you'll have a easy way to change the name of the photo.

4. Password protected recycle bin.

5. Password protected app lock

3-4-5 mentioned here: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...tions-1074243/

6. Option to add geo location details to photo titles. This has also been a BB staple or a bread and butter feature as you will of BB.

Mentioned here: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...itched-1090413

There are probably more things that can be considered for the cam app, but I think all of us would be very happy to receive cam updates more frequently again like in the beginning.
    LyoobaBerry, FF22 and gizmo21 like this.
    08-31-17 03:39 AM
    It's clear it's not a priority....

There are other apps that some use to achieve better results... but some of what you want, isn't really part of the Camera App.
    08-31-17 09:27 AM
    It's clear it's not a priority....

There are other apps that some use to achieve better results... but some of what you want, isn't really part of the Camera App.
    Enlighten us on both accounts please. Not sure what you mean with all of this.

Also, I'm all up for suggestions to get these better results, but, as always, I prefer to see a native solution as it is. 3rd party apps normally never get me excited. I just don't tend to trust them after having dealt with photos and videos not getting saved on my SD card due to whatever reason last year. I pretty much stopped dealing with third party applications (when it comes to the camera).

I think a lot of us just miss the "Christmas eve feeling" that was still there when smcv and his team were still on the job to improve and update the app so often. Cam updates haven't been there for what, almost a year now?

Let's face it, the camera is a big part of peoples lives nowadays. To have a better native experience using it, wouldn't hurt anybody.
    08-31-17 11:26 AM
    If BlackBerry were "concerned" they would have updated the app.... you can go to the app in Google Play and clearly see it is not well received by users.

3, 4, 5 are not Camera App features per say, unless somehow the camera app was a separate file manager that stored the photos in a secure encrypted "folder" that the OS and other apps could not access. Just a lot to ask of a Camera App.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be a priority or that it's not a big part of many users experience... just that with BlackBerry resources, it is not something they have been able to focused on yet.
    08-31-17 11:50 AM
    Okay, "Juno" = "Motion", so the "private capture mode" that I mentioned under #1 in the first post has now turned into reality.

They now call it: "Locker mode".

Locker Mode - Not all pictures are meant to be shared. On Locker Mode, you can take photos of weekend escapades, private selfies or confidential documents with the fingerprint sensor and these images are password-protected, and not uploaded to the cloud.

Starting @ 2:00:

I love it!!!!

However, I would prefer to have the preview screen not blurred but just completely black. Or perhaps (optionally) after hitting the thumbnail some bogus calculator or launching of BB's notepad, w/ the fingerprint o/c still working to unlock the photo/video. Or if the latter is not possible, and this is even better: to just have totally black thumbnails without any lock or text on it (or perhaps a bogus (changing) red/white line depicting a faulty photo or a single white dot in one of the corners, or a bogus picture that you've pre-selected) that reminds the user that it is a password locked photo which can only be opened with the fingerprint scanner/pin code. Maybe make some of these options available in the settings menu?

It is a "privacy" feature in the end and the video Youtube shows that you can still have a blurry glimpse (also colors of what was photographed) of what you're trying to keep private.... As said, hope this will be dealt with when they update/release the update to other devices.

Does locker mode also work for recording videos?

Anyway, I hope BlackBerry/TCL will bring it as an update to the Priv/KeyOne camera app SOON!!!! (although I can understand that it will probably be unlikely for the Priv due to the omission of a fingerprint scanner?).

By far it would be the most interesting update since the introduction of the manual mode settings.
    Last edited by WT44; 10-20-17 at 04:40 PM.
    10-13-17 05:26 PM
    camera updates are sorely missed.. it does not make any sense to include a very good sensor (KEYone - Pixel) and not taking advantage through an updated software.. I am convinced that the KEYone can easily take much better pics if it had a dedicated and optimized camera update
    WT44 likes this.
    10-16-17 04:51 PM
    I'm just curious if these feature [locker mode] will come to the KEYone. Including the 3 options for convenience key.
    AFAIK, Locker and Locker Mode will. Not sure about the Conv. key options though.
    I could have slept a little better last week knowing @Bla1ze 's answer. I hope I'm confident he's right on this and that there will be a cam update soon for those psyched about this (privacy) feature.

Normally I hardly take time to read about phones that haven't got pkb 's, but after looking for locker mode info and stumbling on the aforementioned thread I came across this: "smart convenience key".
    Smart Convenience Key - Customize the Smart Convenience Key to instantly bring up apps and functions you use most often based on your location or what you are up to. For example, in the car you can program the key to launch your favorite music app; at home, press to launch the camera; at work, to compose a new email.
    Sounds interesting indeed. Not sure why this could not be something that could be implemented through a "simple" software update.
    Last edited by WT44; 10-20-17 at 04:40 PM.
    10-20-17 04:23 PM
    Here's another suggestion.

Compared to the Priv, under many circumstances (especially in the dark), when I take a photo, I do not find it very clear what will be on the picture and what not.

Priv: the non-transparent black bars at the top and bottom make it perfectly clear what will be on the picture and what not.
    Camera app: Is it a "finished product" now? Private capture feature? And more suggestions inside.-2017-11-20_193735.jpg

KeyOne: the semi-transparent bars are confusing here in many circumstances as the things you see through the transparent bars at the top and bottom will actually still be on the photo:
    Camera app: Is it a "finished product" now? Private capture feature? And more suggestions inside.-2017-11-20_193127.jpg

When taking low-light pictures in the dark or at night, it is even more difficult to figure out what exactly will be on the photo and what not.

It would be more practical and aesthetically designed when that semi-transparent bar at the top and bottom would just be gone all together (just like there is no semi-transparent bar on the left side for the manual buttons). It is not necessary, less confusing as to what will be on the photo and what not, and it will look better all together.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    11-20-17 01:00 PM
    I guess it pretty much is considered a FINISHED PRODUCT now.

Can somebody explain why the camera app does not exist any longer??

The cam can now only be updated with a big OS update (which will probably be even less likely compared to app based updates)??

One would think that introducing all kinds of new settings, features, options, fine-tuning of post-processing software of the camera is one of the more important aspects of this phone, if not, it is (was?) certainly one of the more enjoyable updates when SMCV was still around.
    Last edited by WT44; 12-22-17 at 09:21 AM.
    12-22-17 06:24 AM
    Unfortunately, the semi-transparent black bars mentioned in post # 8 are not taken care of with the latest OS update. Really annoying not to know what exactly will be on the photo in dark circumstances.
    03-30-18 01:18 PM