Hi all,

After 3 BBOS phones and then 2 BB10 phones, I accepted defeat and switched my loyalties. I didn't really like Android and went to Windows Phone 10, which is now dead. So now I'm giving in to Android with a Key2 that I'll be picking up tonight.

One of the things I've debated is whether I would go back to using the Hub or whether I would use Outlook. I generally liked the Hub on BB10, but I'm pretty embedded now in Microsoft technologies (both consumer and Office365) and am also very happy with Outlook. I also found that although I liked the Hub when I had it, I did not miss it at all when I didn't, not like I missed the keyboard. A notification pane instead of one giant combined inbox was just fine for me.

Has anybody done a breakdown on the pro's and con's of Hub vs Outlook on Android?
    07-16-18 02:01 PM
    Hi all,

After 3 BBOS phones and then 2 BB10 phones, I accepted defeat and switched my loyalties. I didn't really like Android and went to Windows Phone 10, which is now dead. So now I'm giving in to Android with a Key2 that I'll be picking up tonight.

One of the things I've debated is whether I would go back to using the Hub or whether I would use Outlook. I generally liked the Hub on BB10, but I'm pretty embedded now in Microsoft technologies (both consumer and Office365) and am also very happy with Outlook. I also found that although I liked the Hub when I had it, I did not miss it at all when I didn't, not like I missed the keyboard. A notification pane instead of one giant combined inbox was just fine for me.

Has anybody done a breakdown on the pro's and con's of Hub vs Outlook on Android?
    It's been a little while since I've used Outlook on Android; one thing that immediately came to mind when I read this post was that Outlook notifications only allow "Archive" and "Reply" on the notification with no option to change those. Hub allows three options and they can be changed. I found battery usage on Nougat to be minimal whereas on Oreo it was worse with Outlook, which is why I no longer use it. Outlook has access to contacts, calendar, and Onedrive, plus some built-in extensions for Facebook, Evernote, and a few other services; but is otherwise fairly lean on all options.
    ryanlrobinson likes this.
    07-16-18 02:25 PM
    I don't think the Outlook for Android app connects to your default calendar/contacts/phone app, but only shows all that info 'sandboxed' inside the Outlook app.
    ryanlrobinson likes this.
    07-17-18 07:09 AM
    I don't think the Outlook for Android app connects to your default calendar/contacts/phone app, but only shows all that info 'sandboxed' inside the Outlook app.
    It still needs permission and access to the default device calendar to do so.
    07-17-18 07:17 AM
    I didn't spend much time on this last night after getting my Key2, but I can add a couple of things (some of which are subjective):

I definitely like the BlackBerry Calendar as a distinct app much better than being inside the Outlook app.

I can't figure out how to add my main email address to the BlackBerry Hub. It's an old Windows Live Domain. It had no problem with Outlook mobile or the Mail app on Windows desktops, but did also start having problems a few months ago with Outlook desktop. If I can't solve that, I'll be stuck with either upgrading that email to a paid Office365 (which is overkill for my needs) or it settles the debate clearly in favour of Outlook mobile.

I think Outlook looks better.

Hub works much better in the Productivity Tab, although I haven't really decide how much I'll actually use that.
    07-17-18 08:49 AM
    I didn't spend much time on this last night after getting my Key2, but I can add a couple of things (some of which are subjective):

I definitely like the BlackBerry Calendar as a distinct app much better than being inside the Outlook app.

I can't figure out how to add my main email address to the BlackBerry Hub. It's an old Windows Live Domain. It had no problem with Outlook mobile or the Mail app on Windows desktops, but did also start having problems a few months ago with Outlook desktop. If I can't solve that, I'll be stuck with either upgrading that email to a paid Office365 (which is overkill for my needs) or it settles the debate clearly in favour of Outlook mobile.

I think Outlook looks better.

Hub works much better in the Productivity Tab, although I haven't really decide how much I'll actually use that.
    Does your Live account have 2fa enabled? The Hub doesn't work with Microsoft authenticator, to add it to the Hub I had to go add an app password for the account via browser.
    07-17-18 02:21 PM
    Does your Live account have 2fa enabled? The Hub doesn't work with Microsoft authenticator, to add it to the Hub I had to go add an app password for the account via browser.
    It does have 2FA and I tried the app password (needed to do that for some other accounts as well), but that didn't work for the Windows Live Domain one. I posted on a Microsoft Office support forum as well, because of the Outlook desktop piece, so hopefully somebody between there and here can help.
    07-17-18 02:44 PM
    A few more scattered thoughts on differences, which I'll post in case somebody else stumbles across this curious like I was:

Hub vs Outlook:
    - dark theme on Hub, not on Outlook, although it's not as sharp and easy to read as a lot of dark themes
    - lots more customizations for views and alerts on Hub, not on Outlook
    - Hub has better quick reply settings on notifications, and more options on swiping within the app
    - Office365 Groups supported on Outlook, not on Hub
    - Outlook has a variety of other extensions

BlackBerry Calendar vs Outlook Calendar:
    - BlackBerry Calendar can pull up the full contact profile of a meeting attendee. Outlook can just email them.
    - Outlook can easily connect your Facebook events calendar without installing the Facebook app. I don't know if the Hub can at all or if it would just need the app installed.

BlackBerry Contacts vs Outlook contacts search:
    - BlackBerry Contacts includes detecting or merging duplicates
    - BlackBerry Contacts by virtue of being tied into the Android system contacts also gets information from other contact apps like Messenger

Overall, Hub+ definitely wins from these tests, unless you really need some of the Office365 integration with Groups and extensions (I have a work Office365 but we rarely use those features). Except for my issue getting my Windows Live Domain account to work.
    07-19-18 10:57 AM
    BlackBerry Calendar can also sync perfectly with your Facebook Events calendar, you don't need the Facebook app for that.

Open Facebook on your browser, go to events, and right click on upcoming events and simply copy the URL. Open BlackBerry calendar and clock on add account, go to BlackBerry subscribed calendar and paste the URL there. And you're good to go.

If you need Facebook birthdays, repeat the same steps!

Its fairly easy to do and shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes
    07-19-18 12:53 PM