Hi all,

Although I have used the BlackBerry Hub app for quite some time, I never really thought about the following scenario. It is able to centralise and read message content from supported apps, which is obviously required for it to perform its function. I have up to this point implicitly trusted the app not to secretly upload all that data to some third-party, but how do we know for sure?

I don't see anything about this in the BlackBerry Docs online and have no idea how to test for it myself.

Anybody got any insight?
    08-08-19 04:04 AM
    08-08-19 10:57 AM
    Hi all,

Although I have used the BlackBerry Hub app for quite some time, I never really thought about the following scenario. It is able to centralise and read message content from supported apps, which is obviously required for it to perform its function. I have up to this point implicitly trusted the app not to secretly upload all that data to some third-party, but how do we know for sure?

I don't see anything about this in the BlackBerry Docs online and have no idea how to test for it myself.

Anybody got any insight?
    All it does it trap your normal Android notifications and aggregates them. Nothing is being read.
    08-08-19 11:37 AM
    @Cobalt232 and @chetmanley have done some analysis in the past, not sure if there's anything more recent.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...lysis-1131866/

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...vices-1128819/
    Ah, I tried searching for earlier threads but didn't find any. Doesn't look like any permanent came out of those discussions, but I am still catching up. Thanks for sharing.

All it does it trap your normal Android notifications and aggregates them. Nothing is being read.
    Yeah I don't really suspect them, but how can you (and I) really be sure? The software is closed, in the other thread people were trying to figure out what was being sent but that never got clear. Now, don't get me wrong, I think it is highly unlikely for BB to capture message content through the Hub. It's just that I don't see any evidence to confirm that.
    08-08-19 12:12 PM
    Ah, I tried searching for earlier threads but didn't find any. Doesn't look like any permanent came out of those discussions, but I am still catching up. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah I don't really suspect them, but how can you (and I) really be sure? The software is closed, in the other thread people were trying to figure out what was being sent but that never got clear. Now, don't get me wrong, I think it is highly unlikely for BB to capture message content through the Hub. It's just that I don't see any evidence to confirm that.
    Download and install Blokada if you want to stop all trackers. Then you won't have to worry.
    08-08-19 12:31 PM

Cobalt was able to show what type of telemetry was being sent to Blackberry as referenced by Invictus0

If you want to stop all Blackberry telemetry, you can apply the steps mentioned in this thread:

Disabling System Apps: XDA method
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ethod-1168996/
    08-10-19 01:25 PM