I couldn't resist and installed Android Q 😉. So far I can report the following findings:

- it takes about five minutes after reboot before it the email functiion is working
    - no color coding in the notification bar
    - see screenshot

Other than that everything seems to work. I keep you updated.
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry HUB and Android Q-39040.jpg  
    03-14-19 12:59 AM
    Let us know about the changes to permissions...
    03-14-19 07:21 AM
    Q uber alles!
    03-14-19 07:26 AM
    What is that "background activity messaging" !?
    Another Google killing the HUB is coming or what?
    03-14-19 11:15 AM
    What is that "background activity messaging" !?
    Another Google killing the HUB is coming or what?
    Oh man....
    03-14-19 11:51 AM
    I couldn't resist and installed Android Q 😉. So far I can report the following findings:

- it takes about five minutes after reboot before it the email functiion is working
    - no color coding in the notification bar
    - see screenshot

Other than that everything seems to work. I keep you updated.
    Not sure if the email function working after 5 minutes is a Hub issue. Here on Oreo (KEY2), both Messages and BBM take about 2 minutes before any messages arrive, so it might just be an Android issue or something.
    03-14-19 01:11 PM
    heya. after one day on Android Q I can say that the HUB suite ist working quite well. I receive instantly new emails...

the only things that worries me is the announcement of stopping background services for the HUB in the future. 🙄
    03-14-19 01:23 PM
    heya. after one day on Android Q I can say that the HUB suite ist working quite well. I receive instantly new emails...

the only things that worries me is the announcement of stopping background services for the HUB in the future.
    That what I was afraid with your screenshot!
    Maybe Google will finally totally kill the HUB!

Maybe it's time for BB to think alternatives and not ship anymore their suit on the Playstore.

Make them available to download from elsewhere or make them system app backed in the OS.
    03-14-19 02:01 PM
    well, the error message from the screenshot appears in many occasions also for some Google apps. so I reckon this will be an issue everybody will be facing and I am sure the is an alternative way
    03-15-19 03:41 AM
    That what I was afraid with your screenshot!
    Maybe Google will finally totally kill the HUB!

Maybe it's time for BB to think alternatives and not ship anymore their suit on the Playstore.

Make them available to download from elsewhere or make them system app backed in the OS.
    Those aren't alternatives.... Google has rules that all OEMs must follow, or they don't get access to Google Play and Google Services.

Google isn't out to kill the HUB, but they are trying to bring a more unified experience and to bring updates more quickly to more users. In the end I expect they would rather all OEMs drop their attempts to customize and individualize their versions of the OS at this point.

But I doubt they will kill HUB+ background services...
    03-15-19 08:04 AM
    All the stuff I read about the Hub is it not for the future? Seems the people posting are not happy...
    Last edited by Bfalcon1; 03-15-19 at 09:59 AM.
    03-15-19 08:21 AM
    there is a developer option to set the restriction already to 'on' in this current build. If this option is enabled, the email function seems to work without any issues. however deleting emails directly from the notification panel does not work anymore. this is seems to be the new restriction.

@Liam and co: in this link is a description how to address this problem. maybe you can address this in future releases!
    https://developer.android.com/previe...y-notification
    03-17-19 08:03 AM
    Q was just released into beta testing. I'm sure a lot of current apps don't play well with it yet. That's why they are doing this.

Probably just some app tweaking and OS tweaking to be done will fix a lot of these things. No doubt Google is locking a few more things down, but let all that shake out over the next few beta builds before getting too worried yet.
    03-17-19 09:55 AM
    heya. DP2 of Android Q is out. Hub does now have a flickering issue when composing emails. sometimes the letters in the emails body are not visible at all.

the background activity is still allowed in this preview but a message still prompts that this will be removed in future builds.
    04-04-19 10:42 AM
    heya. DP2 of Android Q is out. Hub does now have a flickering issue when composing emails. sometimes the letters in the emails body are not visible at all.

the background activity is still allowed in this preview but a message still prompts that this will be removed in future builds.
    I thought background activity was still allowed, even in upcoming builds, as long as the app displays a permanent notification? (excluding clipboard managers)
    04-04-19 12:06 PM

Great. So we lost useful call logs and SMS, and now we have a messed up email Inbox to look forward to as well? It's starting to feel like the end of BB10 when BlackBerry started pushing out broken patches that killed Android runtime.

That's too bad, with Q on the horizon and such minimal support it's probably about time for us subscribed folks to pack it in and find a new mail app.
    04-04-19 05:07 PM
    Great. So we lost useful call logs and SMS, and now we have a messed up email Inbox to look forward to as well? It's starting to feel like the end of BB10 when BlackBerry started pushing out broken patches that killed Android runtime.

That's too bad, with Q on the horizon and such minimal support it's probably about time for us subscribed folks to pack it in and find a new mail app.
    Q is in beta, the intent is for developers to use this as an opportunity to make their apps compatible. Hub+ didn't work initially with the Pie beta but a fix was pushed within a few weeks, the same will likely happen here.

Regarding the background activity issue, it will be interesting to see what workarounds are available for that but I assume this would impact most if not all third party mail clients on Android.
    04-04-19 11:27 PM
    Q is in beta, the intent is for developers to use this as an opportunity to make their apps compatible. Hub+ didn't work initially with the Pie beta but a fix was pushed within a few weeks, the same will likely happen here.

Regarding the background activity issue, it will be interesting to see what workarounds are available for that but I assume this would impact most if not all third party mail clients on Android.
    I realize that. But given the BlackBerry team barely issued the required Google directives on time when it issued version 2, even some BlackBerry devices are still experiencing bugs let alone non-BlackBerry Android subscribers, and add that Q is already into the second Beta - I'm not feeling overly optimistic. The duplicate call bug for example, is extremely annoying, and still hasn't been fixed.

Some are calling the Inbox a notification aggregator (is that even a word?) - I call it mindless duplicator that has turned my Inbox into a recycle box. With Google potentially clamping down even more with Q, I think we've reached a fork in the road. Either focus on BlackBerry users and OS tweaks to optimize the experience for BlackBerry users only (and drop subscriptions)...or admit defeat and reduce it to a dumb mailbox app that works for everyone.
    Last edited by dendron01; 04-05-19 at 09:16 AM.
    TheBond likes this.
    04-05-19 09:02 AM

Some are calling the Inbox a notification aggregator
    That's all it ever was, or ever will be (beyond email of course).
    Vistaus likes this.
    04-05-19 09:26 AM
    LOL. Sorry, not interested in revisionist history, and I don't have amnesia.
    04-05-19 09:35 AM
    LOL. Sorry, not interested in revisionist history, and I don't have amnesia.
    Laugh all you want if it makes you feel better, but the only thing that has changed since day one is the loss of sent SMS messages, and the acquisition of 20 other app notifications.
    Vistaus likes this.
    04-05-19 09:37 AM
    That's true.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-19 09:44 AM
    I realize that. But given the BlackBerry team barely issued the required Google directives on time when it issued version 2, even some BlackBerry devices are still experiencing bugs let alone non-BlackBerry Android subscribers, and add that Q is already into the second Beta - I'm not feeling overly optimistic. The duplicate call bug for example, is extremely annoying, and still hasn't been fixed.

Some are calling the Inbox a notification aggregator (is that even a word?) - I call it mindless duplicator that has turned my Inbox into a recycle box. With Google potentially clamping down even more with Q, I think we've reached a fork in the road. Either focus on BlackBerry users and OS tweaks to optimize the experience for BlackBerry users only (and drop subscriptions)...or admit defeat and reduce it to a dumb mailbox app that works for everyone.
    I agree that Hub+ is losing some of its original value and appeal, largely due to factors out of BlackBerry's control. As long as Hub+ is offered on Google Play I think BlackBerry is beholden to playing by Google's rules. The only alternatives are to make the apps BlackBerry exclusive again and push updates OTA or bring back BB World. Neither is a particularly great solution.
    04-05-19 02:00 PM
    Android Q is still in early beta and I do hope that BlackBerry will address the issues
    in updates. the only thing which worries me is that Liam and Co do not feedback in this thread as they did last year with Pie beta. I hope this is not a bad sign.

I love BlackBerry Hub but I am always with the newest OS. So I might have to switch to a new email app which I would regret ...
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 04-06-19 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Backseat modding
    04-05-19 03:28 PM
    Laugh all you want if it makes you feel better, but the only thing that has changed since day one is the loss of sent SMS messages, and the acquisition of 20 other app notifications.
    Not completely true. The call logging even on some BlackBerry devices (Yes, BlackBerry devices) is no longer something that can be relied on because of incorrect or double logging some are experiencing.
    Since it cannot be relied on to be accurate, some people are simply disabling the feature.
    04-05-19 09:26 PM
74 123