Hope this is the right forum. Got a dtek50 and why do I get pop up ads appearing on my bb branded device in BBM?

I can understand if it's a non bb device and they are using BBM.
    08-11-17 09:11 PM
    why do I get pop up ads appearing on my bb branded device in BBM?
    Because that's how it works. You want ad free, you pay for ad free.
    08-11-17 09:25 PM
    Because that's how it works. You want ad free, you pay for ad free.
    I bought a BlackBerry device for that purpose, I don't get ads on bbm on my z30 .. I would expect the same on my dtek50 ..

I can understand if I own a Samsung and installed bmm
    PHughes likes this.
    08-11-17 09:27 PM
    I would expect the same on my dtek50 ..
    Your expectations were a little too high than it seems. Ads were rolled out to BBM on Android loooooong ago. BlackBerry branded device or not.
    08-11-17 09:29 PM
    I bought a BlackBerry device for that purpose, I don't get ads on bbm on my z30 .. I would expect the same on my dtek50 ..

The ads got so bad for me, I stopped using it completely. I loved BBM, my wife and I used it exclusively as I traveled around the world. We also used it while she was still living in Thailand. It used to be the best, when other apps would not work, BBM did. Now, there are plenty of other apps that do as well. Okay, maybe not as well as BBM used to do, in bad signal locations with very slow service, BBM was king, now, not so much.

We use Line usually, because my wife likes it. I also use Telegram. I haven't touched BBM for at least eight months. It is sad, it used to be amazing. I wouldn't mind if BBM didn't show a notification for some of the ads, making you think you have a message, but that's what I was getting. I would check my phone thinking it was business, or my wife, but no, it was an ad.

If I could delete BBM, I would. It isn't worth the subscription. I would buy it, if it were a one time charge, but not a subscription.
    08-11-17 11:40 PM

BBM is not a BlackBerry product anymore. It was licenced to Emtek.
    PHughes likes this.
    08-12-17 12:27 AM
    Exactly
    08-12-17 12:29 PM
    Stop using it. There are a tonne of different options.

It's too bad, i actually DO like BBM. but I deleted it, and I'm done with it.
    PHughes likes this.
    08-12-17 12:41 PM
    Stop using it. There are a tonne of different options.

It's too bad, i actually DO like BBM. but I deleted it, and I'm done with it.
    Yeah, it's Android, it's not like one is roped into BBM due to lack of alternatives.
    PHughes likes this.
    08-12-17 01:17 PM
    its a fact of life now. Line will soon have ads as well, after there IPO shareholders will demand add revenue.
    08-12-17 02:42 PM
    I new there was some licensing deal ,but I thought BlackBerry still owns it , and emtek is just pushing /selling it mainly in Indonesia.. Oh well ! ..
    08-12-17 06:17 PM
    I new there was some licensing deal ,but I thought BlackBerry still owns it , and emtek is just pushing /selling it mainly in Indonesia.. Oh well ! ..
    BlackBerry could have put in clause to keep BBM ad-free for their branded phones, but perhaps that would have soured the seal with Emtek -- or maybe it just never occurred to them to do so. Either way, it is now TCL, OI, and MP that would have to make such arrangements with Emtek.
    08-13-17 12:55 PM
    Well, keep in mind, other messaging services are more secure, like LINE or Telegram. They are both more secure than the regular BBM.
    08-14-17 11:23 AM