If we knew how much BlackBerry get's per unit on licensing... might tell us how many units have been moved. If they get $25 a unit that's about 30K units.
    $10-15 per unit according to this interview,

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-bb10-1139865/

Edit: OP's paragraph is talking about a minimum guarantee which is a recoupable advance so I don't think it'll tell us anything about current sales. Unless it's saying $4.29 million was paid and the disputed number is how much has been recouped so far via sales?
    Last edited by Invictus0; 07-15-19 at 06:29 PM.
    07-15-19 06:17 PM
    $10-15 per unit according to this interview,

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-bb10-1139865/

Edit: OP's paragraph is talking about a minimum guarantee which is a recoupable advance so I don't think it'll tell us anything about current sales. Unless it's saying $4.29 million was paid and the disputed number is how much has been recouped so far via sales?
    Nothing about being recoupable. BlackBerry clearly required a guaranteed minimum of $4.29 million regardless of sales.

Optiemus is arguing BlackBerry reneged on something and therefore they should only pay $720,000 instead.
    07-15-19 06:33 PM
    a very small amount
    07-15-19 07:41 PM
    All makes for speculative conspiracy theories 😂
    07-16-19 02:58 AM
    BB Mobile probably commissioned a social media agency to do this and has already paid for it. And this agency continues to work unswervingly. Until the money is used up.
    07-16-19 05:59 AM
    Nothing about being recoupable. BlackBerry clearly required a guaranteed minimum of $4.29 million regardless of sales.

Optiemus is arguing BlackBerry reneged on something and therefore they should only pay $720,000 instead.
    Optiemus is the one that took almost two years to even release a device... Think Optiemus is grasping at straws, based on how the rest of their financial statement looked.
    07-16-19 07:26 AM
    and so it begins ....
    07-16-19 01:37 PM

How much do you think TCL has paid as minimum and how much per a device, in your opinion?
    07-16-19 03:12 PM
    How much do you think TCL has paid as minimum and how much per a device, in your opinion?
    Honestly I don't have the faintest clue.

Let's remember that Emtek paid BlackBerry $207 million to licence BBM for 6 years.

I would suspect that licencing the entire brand name, all of BlackBerry Android, and having BlackBerry do ongoing development work would be far more.
    07-16-19 03:41 PM
    Honestly I don't have the faintest clue.

Let's remember that Emtek paid BlackBerry $207 million to licence BBM for 6 years.

I would suspect that licencing the entire brand name, all of BlackBerry Android, and having BlackBerry do ongoing development work would be far more.
    I thought more that what Optiemus should pay (more than $4 million), but not over $200 million.
    That's insane if true!
    07-16-19 03:52 PM
    I thought more that what Optiemus should pay (more than $4 million), but not over $200 million.
    That's insane if true!
    Optiemus had one country where the premium price would be unattractive. I dont think either thought it would amount to a lot. They were even more right than they thought.

TCL had the world, and all of the traditional BlackBerry markets. I think it's at the high end.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say $20/device and a minimum of $20 million a year x 5 years.
    07-16-19 04:08 PM
    Optiemus had one country where the premium price would be unattractive. I dont think either thought it would amount to a lot. They were even more right than they thought.

TCL had the world, and all of the traditional BlackBerry markets. I think it's at the high end.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say $20/device and a minimum of $20 million a year x 5 years.
    Great!
    We should see these numbers in BlackBerry Limited interim report.
    07-16-19 04:19 PM
    Great!
    We should see these numbers in BlackBerry Limited interim report.
    We have been for 2 years. They are buried in "licencing fees".

Total was $72 million last quarter.

But that includes all IP, BBM, mobility software, and hardware sale licencing arrangements.
    07-16-19 04:38 PM

I do wonder what real expectations were vs "marketing" talk. PT BB Merah Putih at one point talked about gearing up for the production of millions of BlackBerries.

I wonder if either Optiemus and Merah Putih didn't really understand the cost of the program and how it would affect retail prices. Or did they really believe that the brand or the "special" BlackBerry Jam would be viewed as premium.

I get TCL's hope for the Enterprise market... Enterprise will pay more for something if it offers more security. So I can see what TCL taught would make the BlackBerry Tax work. Just don't see what Optiemus or Merah Putih saw...

I just hope that this wasn't somehow already factored into BlackBerry's IP revenue... or it could be another mark down like Emtek was.
    07-17-19 11:45 AM
    I do wonder what real expectations were vs "marketing" talk. PT BB Merah Putih at one point talked about gearing up for the production of millions of BlackBerries.

I wonder if either Optiemus and Merah Putih didn't really understand the cost of the program and how it would affect retail prices. Or did they really believe that the brand or the "special" BlackBerry Jam would be viewed as premium.

I get TCL's hope for the Enterprise market... Enterprise will pay more for something if it offers more security. So I can see what TCL taught would make the BlackBerry Tax work. Just don't see what Optiemus or Merah Putih saw...

I just hope that this wasn't somehow already factored into BlackBerry's IP revenue... or it could be another mark down like Emtek was.
    Perhaps BlackBerry (Canada) oversold the brand and convinced these companies that there was a big enough market to make the project a success.

As you mentioned PT merah has disappeared , no doubt ( speculating) deciding to go bust rather than pay the royalty fee to blackberry

Optiemus is disputing the demand made upon them by BlackBerry but they haven't gone bust and still have a business despite your interpretation of their accounts which are based in Lakhs and not US dollars

TCL have launched 2 and a half devices and have now "gone" quiet .

Is this all down to "bad" sales or lack of support from BlackBerry.... Many BlackBerry apps including Productivity Tab are end of life ...not really a glowing endorsement of support to your trading partners.

BlackBerry hold all the cards... the brand, the royalty charge, the software .

Three partners, three " fails" ...either BlackBerry chose their partners without conducting due diligence or they haven't supported them .....one fail ok but all three and they get the blame... nah

We as consumers have had no or very little information coming out of BlackBerry or their partners.... Even as we agree BlackBerry are no longer in the hardware business , they have a vested interest in making these projects a success or perhaps they don't care which would imply a lack of support

So let's speculate on that ....
    John Albert and Mecca EL like this.
    07-18-19 01:16 AM
    Perhaps BlackBerry (Canada) oversold the brand and convinced these companies that there was a big enough market to make the project a success.

As you mentioned PT merah has disappeared , no doubt ( speculating) deciding to go bust rather than pay the royalty fee to blackberry

Optiemus is disputing the demand made upon them by BlackBerry but they haven't gone bust and still have a business despite your interpretation of their accounts which are based in Lakhs and not US dollars

TCL have launched 2 and a half devices and have now "gone" quiet .

Is this all down to "bad" sales or lack of support from BlackBerry.... Many BlackBerry apps including Productivity Tab are end of life ...not really a glowing endorsement of support to your trading partners.

BlackBerry hold all the cards... the brand, the royalty charge, the software .

Three partners, three " fails" ...either BlackBerry chose their partners without conducting due diligence or they haven't supported them .....one fail ok but all three and they get the blame... nah

We as consumers have had no or very little information coming out of BlackBerry or their partners.... Even as we agree BlackBerry are no longer in the hardware business , they have a vested interest in making these projects a success or perhaps they don't care which would imply a lack of support

So let's speculate on that ....
    I feel like BlackBerry ltd is in it (the licensing) mostly for the added publicity of the brand name and maybe also for the apparently pocket change that the licensees are paying them
    07-18-19 09:41 AM
    I feel like BlackBerry ltd is in it (the licensing) mostly for the added publicity of the brand name and maybe also for the apparently pocket change that the licensees are paying them
    I think they just wanted to monetise their investment in BlackBerry Android as best they could.
    07-18-19 11:47 AM
    I think they just wanted to monetise their investment in BlackBerry Android as best they could.
    Problem is Android is a moving target... Where the Android market was in 2014 isn't where it is today. We have more OEM's offering updates for a longer period and we have a much more secure version of Android right out of the box. And for the few that needed more... Samsung's KNOX was there and had been there, they were a trusted name and company.

Maybe if BlackBerry had not treated the PRIV and DTEK users as phase 1 beta users and just left them out in the cold - no updates. Enterprise might not have been wary of phase 2 beta, BBMo.
    07-22-19 07:39 AM
43 12