04-18-18 02:47 PM
35 12
tools
    Android Tablet's work in landscape mode (or at least the Samsung ones do), so it's is possible.

But not sure what that would get you..... either a very wide phone or one with very little height on the display.... not great for using it with the keyboard. PC monitors and TVs are big enough that landscape works.
    I think we're talking about very different devices. Any device similar to the form factor of the 9900 with a landscape display would need to simplify its functions to match its constrained display, which is why it's a non-trivial issue and hasn't been (and may never be) attempted.

But, at a time when smaller companies are starting to explore simplified phones with limited mobile apps and LTE laptops running ARM chips are entering the market the potential for a little innovation on the form factor side is the highest it's been since the iPhone launched in 2007.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    03-08-18 04:10 PM
    Oh that's so funny!
    03-08-18 04:44 PM
    He would have to pay BlackBerry to keep the app store that they cannot wait to close - or else pay to run one himself. Then all he has to do is pay for continual development/patching of a legacy OS to run on modern hardware. Essentially he is musing about taking on all the negative aspects of why BBRY left the handset business ...
    03-08-18 05:28 PM
    Odd statement to make. Hard to interpret what he meant. Would they be old devices running Android instead of BlackBerry 10 or would they actually try and make BB10 devices? Rhetorical, of course, only he could answer. BlackBerry was open to licensing BB10, though, that was long ago.
    Hey off topic are you going to set up the eat and greet, we have carnivores waiting.

Woof!
    03-08-18 05:33 PM
    If they could atleast rent Symbian to fit into small screen 1:1 devices, this statement could be brought at 50% face value.

However the reality in India is that only die hard BB fans go and buy out pkb Keyones, and those die hards are anywhere between 50 - 100 folks in a major city.

There's just 7 major cities in India, and i'm yet to see a fully kitted after sales support centre of optiemus. A cut price locally assembled device would not turn the tide so easily as well.
    03-09-18 01:29 AM
    Exactly. He figured out that giving hopeful but non-committal comments gets ink in the press, but he can't be held to those comments. It's just a way to stir up interest and get people talking without any intention of delivering.

Making BBOS or BB10 phones at this point, with their services having an impending shutdown date (for those not already shut down), makes exactly zero sense - unless you're just saying it to get people talking - or posting on web forums...
    I was kinda talking about last years comments from him about the phones that he said were coming in June and then July last summer. Those were much more definitive comments... and yet it never happened. Not even sure if them making the KEYone locally ever happened either....

But the value of the brand, lends itself to being reported.... (or defended in a poll).
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-09-18 07:47 AM
    The article says nothing about BBOS or BB10 so I'm not sure why people are assuming that's what he meant. Given the opening statement I think it's pretty clear they're only dealing with BB Android.

I think the more noteworthy part of the article is that we have a potential release window for the first BB Android device running Oreo (8.1 to boot which hopefully means existing devices will skip 8.0 and upgrade directly to it).
    03-09-18 02:27 PM
    He would make an overpriced, underpowered device when one can get a full featured burner ar WM for a lot less. He would doom some other maker to make the same costly errors producing an out of date device for the few who want a PKB... Why is BlackBerry bent upon crippled devices because they can't match components? ...people are now using Phones for much more than 2 years. I know a bunch who have android 4.4 and it does fine...

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
    04-18-18 08:30 AM
    If we are going that route, get HP on the block and license the Pre 3 and webOS and make that, a real gem of a device. Would need an ART fore it (already existed). Could simply be stock android since the Hardware was WAAAY cooler than the classic or 9000s... PKB was absolutely the best ever...

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
    04-18-18 08:41 AM
    That might be a tempting option just to spite a crazy high price point by blackberry if they continue that trend.
    The keyboard on my old "E71" was pretty good in its day. Symbian was very underrated as well.
    I had one, I agree!
    jope28 likes this.
    04-18-18 02:47 PM
35 12