Interesting interview with an executive at Optiemus, BlackBerry’s partner in India, with the Indian Express newspaper. Not only does he flag new India-only PKB models in addition to the upcoming all-touch screen “Ghost” this year, he also says he’s open to resurrecting old BB models - if the demand is there. This would only be for India however, where BB had traditionally been strong before losing ground to Samsung and Chinese brands.

BTW, Indian Express is one of the most respectable newspapers here.

BlackBerry’s new full touchscreen phone is coming soon and will be ‘Made in India’ | The Indian Express
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    03-07-18 04:00 PM
    Odd statement to make. Hard to interpret what he meant. Would they be old devices running Android instead of BlackBerry 10 or would they actually try and make BB10 devices? Rhetorical, of course, only he could answer. BlackBerry was open to licensing BB10, though, that was long ago.
    03-07-18 04:32 PM
    probably means a model like the PRIV. I assume he knows that BBWorld is shutting down so bringing back an old BB10 model is useless.
    03-07-18 05:50 PM
    I think he was only talking about the form factor of something like a Bold or Classic.
    BB10 wouldn't be possible even I think.
    It might run something like Android GO or a customised software like KaiOS

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    jope28, Gajja and johnb_xp like this.
    03-07-18 06:45 PM
    I think he was only talking about the form factor of something like a Bold or Classic.
    BB10 wouldn't be possible even I think.
    It might run something like Android GO or a customised software like KaiOS

That seems interesting if priced accordingly, but we know they'll over price everything because they know us that prefer physical KB's don't have much in terms of options.
    03-07-18 08:10 PM
    That seems interesting if priced accordingly, but we know they'll over price everything because they know us that prefer physical KB's don't have much in terms of options.
    Then it's not overpriced, technically, it's right-priced. LOL
    03-07-18 08:26 PM
    True but Nokia is also supposedly coming up with a qwerty feature phone so they might not have that luxury.

03-07-18 08:39 PM
    True but Nokia is also supposedly coming up with a qwerty feature phone so they might not have that luxury.

That might be a tempting option just to spite a crazy high price point by blackberry if they continue that trend.
    The keyboard on my old "E71" was pretty good in its day. Symbian was very underrated as well.
    03-07-18 09:19 PM
    A 9900 reboot with Android Go would be nice.
    03-07-18 10:17 PM
    A 9900 form factor with any version of Android would be very nice!

03-07-18 11:11 PM
    Odd statement to make. Hard to interpret what he meant. Would they be old devices running Android instead of BlackBerry 10 or would they actually try and make BB10 devices? Rhetorical, of course, only he could answer. BlackBerry was open to licensing BB10, though, that was long ago.
    I don't think at this point it's even possible to make BB10 devices anymore?

03-07-18 11:12 PM
    I don't think at this point it's even possible to make BB10 devices anymore?

It's not impossible.. just why bother? Seems a lot of effort for nothing. The only thing I envision there is a dumbed down BB10 more inline with Nokia's 4G feature phone efforts. Strip out the stuff that's not needed and offer up what remains. But whatever.
    03-08-18 12:07 AM
    Does someone know whether the phones made in India would work in the US? I remember some discussion about that when the Indian KEYone came out, and was the first KEYone with the higher specs. If Optiemus comes out with some of these models, I am sure there would be ways to get them and there are people in North America who would like to get there hands on them.
    03-08-18 03:30 AM
    It's not impossible.. just why bother? Seems a lot of effort for nothing. The only thing I envision there is a dumbed down BB10 more inline with Nokia's 4G feature phone efforts. Strip out the stuff that's not needed and offer up what remains. But whatever.
    Personally I feel a little updated BBOS would make a far better feature phone OS

03-08-18 04:36 AM
    Personally I feel a little updated BBOS would make a far better feature phone OS

It dead at this point. Would require to much rebuilding.

Better to use and exisiting compatible Android/Linux based OS - hardware drivers are available, some basic features are available and software is "current".

Singh is a talker, but very little comes of it....
    03-08-18 07:52 AM
    +1

Posted with my trusty Z10
    03-08-18 07:59 AM
    Singh is a talker, but very little comes of it....
    Exactly. He figured out that giving hopeful but non-committal comments gets ink in the press, but he can't be held to those comments. It's just a way to stir up interest and get people talking without any intention of delivering.

Making BBOS or BB10 phones at this point, with their services having an impending shutdown date (for those not already shut down), makes exactly zero sense - unless you're just saying it to get people talking - or posting on web forums...
    phuoc, PantherBlitz, Gajja and 1 others like this.
    03-08-18 01:19 PM
    Plain Jane QNX Phone??

Has to be some processors in those cars that could transition to mobile without "drivers" being needed. But not sure trying to "compete" against Nokia in the feature phone business is a path for the BlackBerry branding business, margins are much too small.
    03-08-18 01:42 PM
    A 9900 form factor with any version of Android would be very nice!

03-08-18 01:45 PM
    Or Android could allow default landscape mode and provide the option for developers to support it. Requiring everyone to standardize on portrait mode as the default view is not exactly supportive if innovation, IMO.

03-08-18 02:07 PM
    Or Android could allow default landscape mode and provide the option for developers to support it. Requiring everyone to standardize on portrait mode as the default view is not exactly supportive if innovation, IMO.

It is what it is.
    03-08-18 02:08 PM
    It is what it is.
    Understood, but the Android team may find it advantageous to allow for more form factor innovation in the near future. There are a variety of initiatives challenging the current status quo, and landscape mode is a proven performer on almost every platform EXCEPT Android.

03-08-18 02:38 PM
    Understood, but the Android team may find it advantageous to allow for more form factor innovation in the near future. There are a variety of initiatives challenging the current status quo, and landscape mode is a proven performer on almost every platform EXCEPT Android.

So IOS?
    03-08-18 02:40 PM
    So IOS?
    I'm not just talking about mobile platforms. Landscape is the default mode for PC and video in general.

03-08-18 03:16 PM
    I'm not just talking about mobile platforms. Landscape is the default mode for PC and video in general.

Android Tablet's work in landscape mode (or at least the Samsung ones do), so it's is possible.

But not sure what that would get you..... either a very wide phone or one with very little height on the display.... not great for using it with the keyboard. PC monitors and TVs are big enough that landscape works.
    03-08-18 04:00 PM
35 12