09-22-20 04:18 PM
70 123
tools
    Do they have 4000 mah batteries? That's pretty much my most important requirement if I'm honest, but every time I've looked at slab phones recently they all seem to be about 3,000mah?

I'm not hugely familiar with the normal phone market so maybe i'm missing something, but big batteries are important for me
    Nope, galaxy As are 4000mAh, and zenfones are 5000mAh

Nokia 7.1 looks fine except for that hideous notch. I'm pretty OCD and prefer symmetry. I had a BB Motion for a little while and the chin being bigger than the forehead drove me insane. I got rid of it.

I liked the look of those massive Samsung slabs until they put the hole punch camera in it.

What's wrong with small foreheads and chins?
    And I still love the design of samsung even now. Hole punch is weird for some people, but they use this design instead of "going motorized hiding camera" to keep their flagship IP rating (water resistant). Also the one UI is top notch, the best android UI so far. And I cam just resist to have a notch instead of not having updates.
    09-13-19 12:30 PM
    With the smartphone and the internet the barbarians are litereally right at the edge of your screen virtually, not outside the borders somewhere. That's one place where taxes are generally welcomed - for mutual self-defence.
    Doesn't that mean that we need secutiy patches/updates regularly?
    09-13-19 12:36 PM
    Nope, galaxy As are 4000mAh, and zenfones are 5000mAh

And I still love the design of samsung even now. Hole punch is weird for some people, but they use this design instead of "going motorized hiding camera" to keep their flagship IP rating (water resistant). Also the one UI is top notch, the best android UI so far. And I cam just resist to have a notch instead of not having updates.
    At least these options came from thriving companies with strong warranty and support, and not from a dead company that no longer assures warranty or software support.
    09-13-19 12:54 PM
    At least these options came from thriving companies with strong warranty and support, and not from a dead company that no longer assures warranty or software support.
    Really as far as I know TCL still honour their warranty and provide customer support ...
    09-13-19 01:25 PM
    Really as far as I know TCL still honour their warranty and provide customer support ...
    Evolve isn't made by TCL
    09-13-19 01:27 PM
    Well in a way, if you value privacy and security then both yes and no.
    From the top of my head, there are multiple aspects to security, mulitple-players, multiple layers, and multiple trade-offs, a reasonableness test, security-freedom scale, and personal risk behaviour.

Updates are one way, new phones are another (obviously there needs to be a revenue recovery and some profit for costs associated to the work being done on your behalf).

One might even say that BBOS phones and BB10 phones were yet another even better more security oriented path.
    Who killed them? Eye candy? and promises of open-source utopia (android?), more candy?
    09-13-19 01:28 PM
    In theory, if you pay your taxes, and if the governing body is Faithfully working towards security and privacy (and doesn't make its profit on the exact opposite)...smartphone maker (or BB licensee) and or Operating system owner (Google). Sometimes when the state does not have your privacy and security in mind in particular, you revert to private security (ie BlackBerry).
    09-13-19 01:44 PM
    Well in a way, if you value privacy and security then both yes and no.
    From the top of my head, there are multiple aspects to security, mulitple-players, multiple layers, and multiple trade-offs, a reasonableness test, security-freedom scale, and personal risk behaviour.

Updates are one way, new phones are another (obviously there needs to be a revenue recovery and some profit for costs associated to the work being done on your behalf).

One might even say that BBOS phones and BB10 phones were yet another even better more security oriented path.
    Who killed them? Eye candy? and promises of open-source utopia (android?), more candy?
    That's it. Security is not just a phone. It's all networking architecture that matters. from your device, through your network, to your client or server then back to your device again. It doesn't matter how well your phone is encrypted, if the call you make or messages you type could be sniffed through unsecured network. It doesn't matter how good you harden your kernel, if an app could take permission to access your privat folder/photos/gallery.

That's why update means more. It closes many holes through permission breach that could happen doesn't matter even if your phone are strongly encrypted. And by time, those breaches are evolving, by time, continuous updates more needed.
    09-13-19 01:57 PM
    Sometimes when the state does not have your privacy and security in mind in particular, you revert to private security (ie BlackBerry).
    Did you say that if I use blackberry, means goverment couldn't breaches my privacy?
    09-13-19 01:58 PM
    That's it. Security is not just a phone. It's all networking architecture that matters. from your device, through your network, to your client or server then back to your device again. It doesn't matter how well your phone is encrypted, if the call you make or messages you type could be sniffed through unsecured network. It doesn't matter how good you harden your kernel, if an app could take permission to access your privat folder/photos/gallery.

That's why update means more. It closes many holes through permission breach that could happen doesn't matter even if your phone are strongly encrypted. And by time, those breaches are evolving, by time, continuous updates more needed.
    Who’s sniffing calls and why?
    09-13-19 02:08 PM
    Evolve isn't made by TCL
    Indeed ....
    09-13-19 02:18 PM
    Israel, (going by that washington cell tower mimikery story i read recently) to make sure no one is planning to attack them. I mean you can understand their jitteryness on this subject, lets hope that, that is all.
    Okay only kidding sort of....don't send any agents to my door, I'm just a thinker.... and probably a lazy or disabled, low functioning one at that, I can't figure out which.

Postscript: okay this story might be up in the air (pun intended) for truthiness. Some claim it true. Others deny it.
    Could be law enforcement could be others, state players, private interests? who knows. Happened in Ottawa a while back too.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 09-13-19 at 02:42 PM.
    09-13-19 02:20 PM
    Did you say that if I use blackberry, means goverment couldn't breaches my privacy?
    No, it was an analogy. I said if Google being the governor of the OS didn't have your personal privacy and/or security in top of mind (especially from Google itself), which it clearly does not especially since it commodifies you....then you look to something like BlackBerry which s more security focused.
    chain13 likes this.
    09-13-19 02:22 PM
    It's analogy. Sniffing communication is not only for call. It could be your data through internet. It could be VPN server that you use frequently. If you ever used some tools like wireshark in a public wifi, you could simply look what others type in their services by patient. My point is secure is not only about a phone, it's a whole network. Phone is just an end device.
    09-13-19 02:24 PM

Depends on how well messages are encrypted on open networks. There's hardware security and then there's software security.....and then there's someone redirecting half the traffic from north america to China every once in a while. Oops says they, router glitch.
    09-13-19 02:25 PM
    Depends on how well messages are encrypted on open networks. There's hardware security and then there's software security.....and then there's someone redirecting half the traffic from north america to China every once in a while. Oops says they, router glitch.
    Yup. That's why I said it's just not about a phone.
    09-13-19 02:32 PM
    Awesome. Thank you sir! Seriously tempted.
    09-13-19 02:38 PM
    With the trade-ins deals I got direct from Samsung, I got an a70 for the same money as the OP paid for a evolve - better screen, better security, better battery, more bands and from a A-list company rather than licensee who has gone under and no warranty.
    John Albert and chain13 like this.
    09-13-19 03:40 PM
    Jeez, you'd think I'd recommended people pay a fortune for the device. It was 200 bucks. That's nothing for a phone. Chill out!

It's gonna see me through the next year while I wait and see if a Key3 happens. If not, I'll move on to a new brand. Hopefully one that doesn't use notches for the camera (seems to be impossible to find non-notch phones these days).

But honestly, I like the device. I don't care if it doesn't get Pie. I'd be fine on an older OS even. And if there's anyone else here that:

A) Wants a BlackBerry and likes the look and feel of a BlackBerry
    B) Likes a big battery
    C) Doesn't care about the latest fancy operating system

...then I think 200 bucks is a decent deal.

For 200 bucks, I'm impressed with the quality of the device, and importantly, the size of the battery. It's not half bad.
    PantherBlitz and chain13 like this.
    09-13-19 05:30 PM
    B) Likes a big battery
    The KeyOne Bronze edition would by my device of choice if I were in the UK.
    I might get one regardless.
    09-13-19 06:13 PM
    The KeyOne Bronze edition would by my device of choice if I were in the UK.
    I might get one regardless.
    Aren't they as rare as rocking horse poo?
    09-13-19 06:14 PM
    Aren't they as rare as rocking horse poo?
    If I find either one I will send it to you. LoL
    jackbuck93 likes this.
    09-13-19 06:22 PM
    If I find either one I will send it to you. LoL
    Hey, i'll take the KeyOne - I'll pass on the rocking horse poo
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    09-13-19 06:24 PM
    No offense, it's just my thought.

-Nokia 6.1 plus, 7.1. Android one means better software updates, much better camera
    -Zenfone max pro m2. Not android one but its pretty much stock and now updated on pie with latest security patch
    -Galaxy A30 and A40. one UI, come with pie already, still well supported security patch and knox.

They're all, I believe, around 200$.
    Not to forget Xiaomi mi A2.
    chain13 likes this.
    09-13-19 06:39 PM
    Jeez, you'd think I'd recommended people pay a fortune for the device. It was 200 bucks. That's nothing for a phone. Chill out!

It's gonna see me through the next year while I wait and see if a Key3 happens. If not, I'll move on to a new brand. Hopefully one that doesn't use notches for the camera (seems to be impossible to find non-notch phones these days).

But honestly, I like the device. I don't care if it doesn't get Pie. I'd be fine on an older OS even. And if there's anyone else here that:

B) Likes a big battery

...then I think 200 bucks is a decent deal.

For 200 bucks, I'm impressed with the quality of the device, and importantly, the size of the battery. It's not half bad.
    What you’re seeing is the reason why the BB VKB has always failed. Can you imagine the comments of the device had been officially sold in your region at full price?
    09-13-19 07:27 PM
70 123