Been using the Evolve for a couple of weeks in the UK now. Went to Ireland recently and it worked great on their networks, too. I'm on Vodafone, and I've had no problem with connectivity at all.

Unless you plan on going to America, the Evolve shouldn't give you any problems.

Just wanted to post and say, if you're in the market for a cheap device, this is a great deal. Sure, there are no updates, but I really don't care about having the latest OS. It works great, the quality of the phone is super nice. I'm actually impressed by the screen, too.

The camera is kinda rubbish, I will admit. But, I installed Open Camera and it seems to be working much nicer now.

It's a real shame things look like they're winding up with TCL and that they might have issues with the BB tax, causing them to market the phones at higher prices. I see no reason why a vkb device of this quality wouldn't be popular in markets outside India. It's classy, it's functional, and it's affordable.

My two cents, anyway. If you're in the UK and want an all-touch BB on a budget, this is a great option.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    09-12-19 11:56 AM
    Been using the Evolve for a couple of weeks in the UK now. Went to Ireland recently and it worked great on their networks, too. I'm on Vodafone, and I've had no problem with connectivity at all.

Unless you plan on going to America, the Evolve shouldn't give you any problems.

Just wanted to post and say, if you're in the market for a cheap device, this is a great deal. Sure, there are no updates, but I really don't care about having the latest OS. It works great, the quality of the phone is super nice. I'm actually impressed by the screen, too.

The camera is kinda rubbish, I will admit. But, I installed Open Camera and it seems to be working much nicer now.

It's a real shame things look like they're winding up with TCL and that they might have issues with the BB tax, causing them to market the phones at higher prices. I see no reason why a vkb device of this quality wouldn't be popular in markets outside India. It's classy, it's functional, and it's affordable.

My two cents, anyway. If you're in the UK and want an all-touch BB on a budget, this is a great option.
    Great to know someone else thinks the Evolve is a good device. I have been using mine since December and have had no issues either !
    jackbuck93 likes this.
    09-12-19 01:55 PM
    Great to know someone else thinks the Evolve is a good device. I have been using mine since December and have had no issues either !
    Surprised I haven't seen more Brits on here raving about this device. I'm really impressed. And, I'd hang onto it for ages if I could - but I'm moving to America next year, and I'll have to find something new again! (Doesn't work on their networks of course)

Holding out for a Key3 but I think that's wishful thinking unfortunately!
    09-12-19 01:58 PM
    Quick question, from where did you purchase the device? eBay, Amazon? and how cheap is cheap, how much did you pay? Thanks!
    09-12-19 03:34 PM
    Quick question, from where did you purchase the device? eBay, Amazon? and how cheap is cheap, how much did you pay? Thanks!
    I got it on Amazon, brand new, for about 200 US dollars! Honestly, for the quality of the device, it's a steal. If you care about having the best speakers and camera, probably not for you, but I use my phone for business and really couldn't care if audio is slightly tinny or camera isn't as good as the iPhone. Honestly, the camera is just what you'd expect from a BlackBerry. It's fine.
    09-12-19 05:13 PM
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJHY7YM...UvbUpU13443481
    09-12-19 05:30 PM
    You can get away better Nokia phone with the latest software and better specs and a similar price lol
    09-12-19 05:43 PM
    You can get away better Nokia phone with the latest software and better specs and a similar price lol
    Isn't this a forum for BlackBerry fans? I like the textured back on BBs, I like this phone, what's your issue? This might be the last BlackBerry I own!
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    09-12-19 06:37 PM
    I've not used Nokia in years, but can you really buy a device of the same quality with a 4,000mah battery for under 200 bucks new from Nokia? With no notch? (Can't stand the notch)

If so, that's impressive. I've been a BlackBerry user for years, I have no idea what the rest of the normal smartphone market looks like.

But, I like the Evolve. A lot. So sue me!
    09-12-19 06:41 PM
    I've not used Nokia in years, but can you really buy a device of the same quality with a 4,000mah battery for under 200 bucks new from Nokia? With no notch? (Can't stand the notch)

If so, that's impressive. I've been a BlackBerry user for years, I have no idea what the rest of the normal smartphone market looks like.

But, I like the Evolve. A lot. So sue me!
    It is up to you if you like Evolve. I don't ask you to ditch it. Do whatever you like.
    Yes, it is a BlackBerry fan site, but I would never recommend a dead phone with a terrible camera from a dead company.
    I had the Evolve for a couple of weeks, but I returned it.

I still recommend people to look elsewhere if they want a slab.
    Motorola, Nokia, or even lightly used Samsung phones are way better than that Evolve in every aspect.
    But if you and anyone else want to get it for their own reasons, these are their choices, and nothing wrong with that at all.
    falcotec likes this.
    09-12-19 07:00 PM
    It is up to you if you like Evolve. I don't ask you to ditch it. Do whatever you like.
    Yes, it is a BlackBerry fan site, but I would never recommend a dead phone with a terrible camera from a dead company.

Motorola, Nokia, or even lightly used Samsung phones are way better than that Evolve in every aspect.
    But if you and anyone else want to get it for their own reasons, these are their choices, and nothing wrong with that at all.
    Well, for 200 bucks, I would recommend it. So there we go.
    09-12-19 07:01 PM

I'm really not familiar with the regular phone market. I've just been BB for years. Are there really budget phones out there with screens as nice as Evolve, no notch, and a 4000 mah battery?

I figured Huawei etc would probably sell something, but I guess I'm a snob when it comes to brands. I like the BB brand, I don't like cheap/crappy brands.
    09-12-19 07:11 PM
    I'm really not familiar with the regular phone market. I've just been BB for years. Are there really budget phones out there with screens as nice as Evolve, no notch, and a 4000 mah battery?

I figured Huawei etc would probably sell something, but I guess I'm a snob when it comes to brands. I like the BB brand, I don't like cheap/crappy brands.
    Well, hard to believe that BlackBerry brand is anything to brag about nowadays, but it is still your choice, at the end!
    09-12-19 08:06 PM
    Well, hard to believe that BlackBerry brand is anything to brag about nowadays, but it is still your choice, at the end!
    You don't say why you returned it ...just that you did ....
    09-12-19 08:32 PM
    You don't say why you returned it ...just that you did ....
    I talked about that in other threads.
    The phone was dropping the signal all the time, probably the bands are different in the US.
    Microphone and speak quality are not good. All people I used to call told me that my voice isn't clear, and I needed to complete/switch the calls to my Key2.
    Battery life is very average compared to the Key2.
    Camera is plain junk. A 15 years old phones have way better cameras than this.

The only thing I liked was the back cover design.
    09-12-19 08:44 PM
    The phone was dropping the signal all the time, probably the bands are different in the US.
    Microphone and speak quality are not good. All people I used to call told me that my voice isn't clear, and I needed to complete/switch the calls to my Key2.

There was no probably about the bands. The Evolve was not designed to be used in the USA. The specifications were available and the band issue was discussed on this platform 6 months ago. Therefore it's not the fault of the device.

Optiemus released a 400 mb update in November . This significantly improved the camera

Having both the Motion and Evolve, battery life is comparable however use of Bluetooth on the Evolve does use more battery life .

I have had no issues with hearing or speaking to people and all other apps function exactly as they should

Overall , in my opinion, the device is value for money.
    xjawax likes this.
    09-13-19 06:53 AM
    Wait, isn't there another slabs with better price, internals, cameras, and future updates? What makes this one recommended then?
    John Albert likes this.
    09-13-19 08:00 AM
    Wait, isn't there another slabs with better price, internals, cameras, and future updates? What makes this one recommended then?
    The battery life is seriously excellent. The quality and finish is lovely. It's a BlackBerry (which, I mean...we're a BB fan site, no?). And it's very cheap. For just 200 bucks, I'm extremely happy.

I don't know about other brands. I've been using BB PKB phones for God knows how long. This is my first modern slab phone. I didn't want it at first - I wanted a Key2 but I figured it's a lot of money to throw at an unsupported device. 200 bucks, on the other hand, is fine. So this could be my last BB.

From my experience, as a British user, it's a good deal for a decent product.

Find me another device that looks as nice as this, has a rubberised back, big screen and 4,000mah battery from a brand that isn't terrible, and that could be a good option too. But I have had no real problems with this and it's very cheap. So, that's why I recommend it.

Jeez. I don't post on CrackBerry much, because every post I find, it's just people arguing and bickering. I guess I should have expected it!
    09-13-19 08:06 AM

- Yes, the phone doesn't work in America. We've established that. But some of us are in the UK, and it works fantastic here. No call issues, and no microphone/audio issues. People hear me very clearly.

- Speakers are..fine. Not amazing but fine.

- You say 15-year-old cameras are better, that's a big exaggeration. I remember my cameras 15 years ago and this is of course better. It's no iPhone, but I've taken some nice shots on this thing and it's about on par with my KeyOne as far as I can tell. That's fine with me.

- Battery life is average? It's really not...I'm a very heavy user and this is better than my KeyOne. It's brilliant and I couldn't be happier with it.

Did you just want an argument?
    09-13-19 08:09 AM
    The real advantage of the BB VKB hardware is the full blown BBAndroid experience with the proprietary installed BB Apps included....

I would’ve bought the Motion and the Evolve if offered in USA through AT&T, my carrier.

At current 1/2 price, I would buy the Motion and Evolve if operable in USA on my carrier. The problem is the Motion isn’t available new for 1/2 price and the Evolve not compatible.

Kind of like the DTEK lineup at the right price. I’ve got other VKB hardware that I put the BB package on. For me it wasn’t quite the same but close.
    jackbuck93 and PantherBlitz like this.
    09-13-19 08:10 AM
    The battery life is seriously excellent. The quality and finish is lovely. It's a BlackBerry (which, I mean...we're a BB fan site, no?). And it's very cheap. For just 200 bucks, I'm extremely happy.

I don't know about other brands. I've been using BB PKB phones for God knows how long. This is my first modern slab phone. I didn't want it at first - I wanted a Key2 but I figured it's a lot of money to throw at an unsupported device. 200 bucks, on the other hand, is fine. So this could be my last BB.

From my experience, as a British user, it's a good deal for a decent product.

Find me another device that looks as nice as this, has a rubberised back, big screen and 4,000mah battery from a brand that isn't terrible, and that could be a good option too. But I have had no real problems with this and it's very cheap. So, that's why I recommend it.

Jeez. I don't post on CrackBerry much, because every post I find, it's just people arguing and bickering. I guess I should have expected it!
    No offense, it's just my thought.

-Nokia 6.1 plus, 7.1. Android one means better software updates, much better camera
    -Zenfone max pro m2. Not android one but its pretty much stock and now updated on pie with latest security patch
    -Galaxy A30 and A40. one UI, come with pie already, still well supported security patch and knox.

They're all, I believe, around 200$.
    John Albert likes this.
    09-13-19 09:54 AM
    The real advantage of the BB VKB hardware is the full blown BBAndroid experience with the proprietary installed BB Apps included....
    Cobalt. All blackberry bundled apps including blackberry home. Adfree

Ever heard about recent update that ruins blackberry VKB algorithm for word prediction?
    09-13-19 09:58 AM

-Nokia 6.1 plus, 7.1. Android one means better software updates, much better camera
    -Zenfone max pro m2. Not android one but its pretty much stock and now updated on pie with latest security patch
    -Galaxy A30 and A40. one UI, come with pie already, still well supported security patch and knox.

Do they have 4000 mah batteries? That's pretty much my most important requirement if I'm honest, but every time I've looked at slab phones recently they all seem to be about 3,000mah?

I'm not hugely familiar with the normal phone market so maybe i'm missing something, but big batteries are important for me
    09-13-19 10:03 AM

Nokia 7.1 looks fine except for that hideous notch. I'm pretty OCD and prefer symmetry. I had a BB Motion for a little while and the chin being bigger than the forehead drove me insane. I got rid of it.

I liked the look of those massive Samsung slabs until they put the hole punch camera in it.

What's wrong with small foreheads and chins?
    09-13-19 10:06 AM
    Been using the Evolve for a couple of weeks in the UK now. ...

Just wanted to post and say, ...Sure, there are no updates, but I really don't care about having the latest OS.

It's a real shame things look like they're winding up with TCL and that they might have issues with the BB tax, causing them to market the phones at higher prices. ....
    There seems to be a thing going around CB about the dreaded BlackBerry Tax. You all do know why taxes in the real world were imposed in the first place right? For security (general peace, general order) and mutual self-defence. Not social security, not to build the best public monuments, not for parks or gardens or pretty art in public galleries, not to reeducate the masses in a particularly grotesque but politically fashionable ideology (against the wishes of parents usually) and definitely not for nanny-statism. It was for security of nation/state.

With the smartphone and the internet the barbarians are litereally right at the edge of your screen virtually, not outside the borders somewhere. That's one place where taxes are generally welcomed - for mutual self-defence.
    I welcome a BB tax is many respects. I challenge that android doesn't charge a tax, but perhaps it enslaves you instead - you are the product to be sold. Apple in a similiar way, makes everything beautified maybe perfected in their eyes, but only on the state's terms (apples), and with high taxes.

Citizens did their own beautiful gardens and decorating and charity, the state was outside of those activities. Funny how security is now seen as one of those dreaded aspects of tax, not the political largesse with your money for fancy pet projects.

Just sayin' ---not about your choice, but about the choice of calling BB a kind of unnecessary and therefore dreaded tax.
    09-13-19 12:29 PM
70 123