So what does that say about the BlackBerry name?

The issues isn't as much the name, but the company standing behind it... and that's not BlackBerry.

Price is too high... you picked one western brand device that clearly has import fees stuck on it, and no indicator that it's even doing well there.

Compare it to the Xiaomi Poco F1 or Asus Zenfone 5Z or Vivo V15 Pro or Nokia 8.1 - heck even Samsung has a more competitive product. Galaxy A7 (2018) is a 2.2 Ghz, 4GB Ram, 6" AMOLED, 24MP Cam.... and it's only 15,990 - half the price.

I don't think the Brand carries enough weight to overcome it's price point.
    Oh yes. And the Evolve costs 16,999 as of today!
    05-13-19 03:57 PM
    I was going to buy the Nokia 8 Sirocco.. But then I saw this.

https://crackberry.com/blackberry-mo...r-config-files

and I was like. Well. The Q10 is not dead yet. Let's wait some more! 😂
    Oh God another Evolve X event ...at this rate you will never upgrade!! I asked my brother to buy an Evolve for you , just to put me out of my misery !! 😂
    05-13-19 04:04 PM
    If you think this you don't know the Indian market my friend. People (Including me) bought the BlackBerry for BBM. Just for the exclusivity and the 'name' of the brand. It was after using it that I felt in Love with it. In India. The name carries most of the weight! People blindly buy the IPhone here which cost 60,000 to 1,25,000.. That's like yearly income of some people. People buy the phone on EMI's. Just because of its name.
    And the case is no different with BlackBerry. People buy BlackBerry only because of two factors.

1) Nostalgia
    2)Keyboard

That's it. If you get into the spec's to price ratio. Even the Key1 & 2 are not worth the price!
    Granted, I do not know much about the Indian market, but just a few remarks:
    - Whatever the iphone costs in your country, I would assume, that not those people buy it whose annual income is the same as the phone's retail price. Moreover, probably they are not the target market for Apple in India. (or at least not for those very expensive phones)
    - I looked up what EMI is, it says a kind of loan or consumer credit. Should add that most of the 900 € / $ and up iphone's are also being sold in the West on different monhtly payment schemes (usually without interest). Not many pay so much up front in Europe or NA either.
    - As India has a very protectionist trade policy, with ultra high duties on those electronic devices which are not manufactured there, this should be taken into account when comparing the price of different phones (it is not instructive to compare one made locally with other subject to these sky high duties)
    05-14-19 02:22 AM
    Granted, I do not know much about the Indian market, but just a few remarks:
    - Whatever the iphone costs in your country, I would assume, that not those people buy it whose annual income is the same as the phone's retail price. Moreover, probably they are not the target market for Apple in India. (or at least not for those very expensive phones)
    - I looked up what EMI is, it says a kind of loan or consumer credit. Should add that most of the 900 € / $ and up iphone's are also being sold in the West on different monhtly payment schemes (usually without interest). Not many pay so much up front in Europe or NA either.
    - As India has a very protectionist trade policy, with ultra high duties on those electronic devices which are not manufactured there, this should be taken into account when comparing the price of different phones (it is not instructive to compare one made locally with other subject to these sky high duties)
    Oh trust me on this. They do. Not the new one. But a refurbished one!
    Most of the mobile manufacturers have a production facility here in India. If I'm not wrong the iPhone 7 is currently made in India and the X will be made in India from July!

And Samsung has the world's largest mobile manufacturing factory in India.

So the point is. Name sells. More so in India. Anything to do with status symbol.. People will buy it. Just to look rich. And those are the one who buy it through EMI's the one with rich parents buy it upfront.
    anon(10337964) likes this.
    05-14-19 02:56 AM
    Oh trust me on this. They do. Not the new one. But a refurbished one!
    Most of the mobile manufacturers have a production facility here in India. If I'm not wrong the iPhone 7 is currently made in India and the X will be made in India from July!

And Samsung has the world's largest mobile manufacturing factory in India.

So the point is. Name sells. More so in India. Anything to do with status symbol.. People will buy it. Just to look rich. And those are the one who buy it through EMI's the one with rich parents buy it upfront.
    Again.... I'm just saying that the BlackBerry name, isn't the "status symbol" that it once was. People have had years and years of separation from the glory days of BBOS/BIS and BBM.
    05-14-19 07:32 AM
    Again.... I'm just saying that the BlackBerry name, isn't the "status symbol" that it once was. People have had years and years of separation from the glory days of BBOS/BIS and BBM.
    True.
    05-14-19 07:35 AM
    To each their own. Check Amaroni's reply. It is completely opposite to the one by Avant.

it's upto you if you have to see the good or the bad.

look at the reviews of the iPhone. Look at its spec's. They're pathetic compared to a flagship android. But look at its sale. At the end of the day it's the sale's number which matter!
    I made an observation without any opinion positive or negative about the device.

I would say that Evolve’s lack of sales problem is the same as every other BB or BB licensee VKB previous.

The PKB association with the BB name seems to be a negative connotation for VKB device brand perception.

Again, this problem has occurred since the BB Storm over 10 years ago followed by the 9850/9860, all three Z devices, two DTEK phones, the Aurora, the Motion and now the Evolve continues trend.
    05-14-19 07:48 AM
    I beg to differ, when people ask what I am using when they see it , I tell them it's a Blackberry.... Response is always " oh I didn't think Blackberry still made phones". My response. " yes they do but only for very important people" Smile , and walk away 😂
    05-14-19 07:51 AM
    I beg to differ, when people ask what I am using when they see it , I tell them it's a Blackberry.... Response is always " oh I didn't think Blackberry still made phones". My response. " yes they do but only for very important people" Smile , and walk away ������
    Differ on what?

I understand that BlackBerry has it's fans. I'm talking about the overall market - and in this thread India. The "I didn't think BlackBerry still made phones" kinda backs up my point of view. They are dead and gone "brand", and probable in most peoples minds for the better.

If someone is going to pay a premium for a phone... they don't want it to be a three star rated phone (Evolve) that has a bad camera (even after the patch) and almost no after sales software support. The name alone isn't enough.... for most.

Optiemus has failed the brand... sad BlackBerry allowed them to do it.
    anon(10337964) likes this.
    05-14-19 09:39 AM
    Look other than the face unlock. You can get a third party app for everything.

18 hours is a very good battery backup compared to other phones in the market!

Camera app was fixed in the latest update according to the forums. But if it's still a problem use the Google camera! It's really good!
    How can i try google camera
    05-14-19 12:29 PM
    I know being a BB fan it really matters to us. But although the specs mentioned on can be justified by optemius 😃
    05-14-19 12:33 PM
    I have used the Evolve for over 6 months

Not having the locker app is no big issue

Battery last 24 plus and as a heavy user it meets my needs . The main drain is Bluetooth

The last update fixed the camera issues and with a little practise images are clear .

Face recognition works super fast and so does finger print unlock.

Not sure why there is a variation but thus far the Evolve is superior to the Motion and Key series .

As to the Price, the Evolve costs less than either the Motion and Key series.
    Okay let me give it a try coz my MI BAND 3 is always connected to my evolve
    05-14-19 12:35 PM
    Differ on what?

I understand that BlackBerry has it's fans. I'm talking about the overall market - and in this thread India. The "I didn't think BlackBerry still made phones" kinda backs up my point of view. They are dead and gone "brand", and probable in most peoples minds for the better.

If someone is going to pay a premium for a phone... they don't want it to be a three star rated phone (Evolve) that has a bad camera (even after the patch) and almost no after sales software support. The name alone isn't enough.... for most.

Optiemus has failed the brand... sad BlackBerry allowed them to do it.

You have tried this three star rated device with a dodgy camera ?
    05-14-19 02:20 PM
    Evolve X never hear it announcements launch in market .
    funny ...😎😎😎
    05-18-19 08:04 PM
    Any comparison is moot so long as only one of the two actually exists.
    05-18-19 08:07 PM
    Any comparison is moot so long as only one of the two actually exists.
    Indeed you are correct. At the same time there is no need to "rubbish" the device that has been released.
    05-19-19 03:23 AM
    How can i try google camera
    Download it from play store and use it as the primary camera!
    05-20-19 01:53 PM
    Indeed you are correct. At the same time there is no need to "rubbish" the device that has been released.
    No one is rubbishing the pixel Amaroni. It was just to show the hypocrisy of the people criticising the price factor of the Evolve and X! Google's name is the only thing which will sell that device because as of now.. The One+7 is a better value for money device than the Pixel 3a!
    05-20-19 01:57 PM
    I made an observation without any opinion positive or negative about the device.

I would say that Evolve’s lack of sales problem is the same as every other BB or BB licensee VKB previous.

The PKB association with the BB name seems to be a negative connotation for VKB device brand perception.

Again, this problem has occurred since the BB Storm over 10 years ago followed by the 9850/9860, all three Z devices, two DTEK phones, the Aurora, the Motion and now the Evolve continues trend.
    If they have to increase their sale they have to make a VKB! Not everyone loves a PKB like us! It is a business! You need to take risk and cater to different people in order to succeed! If they keep making just the PKB! The sale will be limited. And the community is increasingly shrinking! There are still a lot of people who buy BlackBerry not for the PKB but for the Security!
    05-20-19 02:00 PM
    In India it still is. Or atleast the people I know think it is! Most of my friends have bought a BB as their second or some as their primary phone because they absolutely loved my phones! Especially the PRIV.. It was such a crowd puller.. Basically. Very few people still use BlackBerry in India. And the same fact has made it a status symbol because most of BlackBerry users carry 2 phone and it is automatically assumed that when you carry 2 phones. Especially one of them being apple / samsung and the other being BlackBerry you're very rich.

Now I can't speak for the whole country.. But this is my experience with using BB for so many years. It might have lost its sale but not it's glory!
    05-20-19 02:07 PM
    No one is rubbishing the pixel Amaroni. It was just to show the hypocrisy of the people criticising the price factor of the Evolve and X! Google's name is the only thing which will sell that device because as of now.. The One+7 is a better value for money device than the Pixel 3a!
    Was referring to the comment that the Evolve was a third rated device with a bad camera....
    05-21-19 01:54 AM
    Okay let me give it a try coz my MI BAND 3 is always connected to my evolve
    I got the culprit. It was my phone Bluetooth which is draining battery.
    Attached Thumbnails Evolve X vs. Pixel 3a-notable-00001.jpg  
    05-21-19 02:35 AM
    I got the culprit. It was my phone Bluetooth which is draining battery.
    And this could probably be resolved but sadly I am not sure we will get another update from Optiemus
    05-21-19 03:46 PM
    Found this BlackBerry Evolve X is due for release July 10th 2019. I won't be holding my breath as it was due last year with Evolve, but if it is, I'll be upgrading from my Evolve unless there's a better BlackBerry device on its way.
    Attached Thumbnails Evolve X vs. Pixel 3a-3399.jpg  
    05-22-19 11:43 AM
    Found this BlackBerry Evolve X is due for release July 10th 2019. I won't be holding my breath as it was due last year with Evolve, but if it is, I'll be upgrading from my Evolve unless there's a better BlackBerry device on its way.
    Take that with a grain of salt, the cached copy on Google's results page still says May 24 (i.e. Friday).
    Evolve X vs. Pixel 3a-4eedki9.png
    05-22-19 12:10 PM
66 123