But what is deemed a fair premium for a low-volume device with enhanced security features?

This would COST TCL at least 25% more to build it (between BlackBerry fee and low-volume component pricing).
    Fair enough absolutely.
    But the DTEK50 was 50% over the competition. And didn't have a fingerprint sensor either.
    If I were to compare the price of the DTEK60 to the 1+3T, again 50% over its price. (The 3T was 30K, the DTEK60 was 47K)
    The market will absorb the 25% premium given the BlackBerry Brand name IMO. But definitely not 50%.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    02-27-18 07:14 PM
    Fair enough absolutely.
    But the DTEK50 was 50% over the competition. And didn't have a fingerprint sensor either.
    If I were to compare the price of the DTEK60 to the 1+3T, again 50% over its price. (The 3T was 30K, the DTEK60 was 47K)
    The market will absorb the 25% premium given the BlackBerry Brand name IMO. But definitely not 50%.

Which is why you probably won't see a Motion replacement anytime soon. If the phone doesn't generate a profit, there's no reason to make it. This is now the "normal" that BBMo/TCL and the other licensees have to function in.
    02-27-18 07:21 PM
    Which is why you probably won't see a Motion replacement anytime soon. If the phone doesn't generate a profit, there's no reason to make it. This is now the "normal" that BBMo/TCL and the other licensees have to function in.
    If they price the slabs as per the Motion, I really doubt if they will be able to generate a profit (I seriously hope they do).
    But the premium being charged for security isn't worth IMO comparing the Motion to the likes of Moto X4, 1+5T or the Z2 Force with the Battery Mod.
    The KEYᴼᴺᴱ offers the keyboard as a differentiating factor so the market won't compare it to other phones since BlackBerry is the only choice. But for slab, comparisons are bound to happen I feel.

02-27-18 07:29 PM
    If they price the slabs as per the Motion, I really doubt if they will be able to generate a profit (I seriously hope they do).
    But the premium being charged for security isn't worth IMO comparing the Motion to the likes of Moto X4, 1+5T or the Z2 Force with the Battery Mod.
    The KEYᴼᴺᴱ offers the keyboard as a differentiating factor so the market won't compare it to other phones since BlackBerry is the only choice. But for slab, comparisons are bound to happen I feel.

That's what I said and why I said you won't see a Motion replacement for awhile. Sure comparisons will happen and unless a slab (VKB) buyer is willing to pay the higher price for BBAndroid, the buyer will buy something else. What other choice is there for BB and BBMo/TCL? Each company is expected to achieve profits.
    02-27-18 07:54 PM
    That's what I said and why I said you won't see a Motion replacement for awhile. Sure comparisons will happen and unless a slab (VKB) buyer is willing to pay the higher price for BBAndroid, the buyer will buy something else. What other choice is there for BB and BBMo/TCL? Each company is expected to achieve profits.
    Obviously I don't want them to sell at a loss.
    But either if they aren't being able to be competitive enough, they need to change their approach/strategy or not compete when it's no more profitable.

02-27-18 08:51 PM
    Obviously I don't want them to sell at a loss.
    But either if they aren't being able to be competitive enough, they need to change their approach/strategy or not compete when it's no more profitable.

That's why TCL also has the Alcatel brand. Lots of devices without the BlackBerry security premium.
    02-27-18 08:59 PM
    That's why TCL also has the Alcatel brand. Lots of devices without the BlackBerry security premium.
    I don't want BlackBerry branded devices at that price point either.
    But probably a little lower than they are at right now. If they can achieve that.
    Probably $50 cheaper. (Say $399 for the Motion and $499 for the KEYᴼᴺᴱ. Yes I know the KEYᴼᴺᴱ is for $499 now, but I would have wanted that to be the launch price IF they could have achieved that)

02-27-18 09:03 PM
    I don't want BlackBerry branded devices at that price point either.
    But probably a little lower than they are at right now. If they can achieve that.
    Probably $50 cheaper. (Say $399 for the Motion and $499 for the KEYᴼᴺᴱ. Yes I know the KEYᴼᴺᴱ is for $499 now, but I would have wanted that to be the launch price IF they could have achieved that)

That's all very nice, but clearly they can't do that.
    02-27-18 09:07 PM
    That's all very nice, but clearly they can't do that.
    Well then they should be trying their best to get there.

02-27-18 10:22 PM
    To Ghost or not to Ghost, that is the question...

Attachment 434649

When we already have a few of the kind
    Umm... what device is that supposed to be?
    02-27-18 11:39 PM
    Well then they should be trying their best to get there.

20-25% price reduction is a lot. try to get your components supply to reduce 20% price? fat chance. Ask BB to reduce their OS software price? they already at bone to support the Goo-berry, not going to happen. Can you think about any way for price reduction of BOM (build of material)? how about labour cost? Move out of china to which country? India? (forget you need additional cost to treat water there and also need additional cost to ensure the electricity stability... etc.etc.). there are always users "wish" some product priced within their reach, but reality is, you just have to wish a bit longer (until MFG recover their fix cost - tooling, R&D, test fixture, test software and qualifiation cost... etc.etc. possibly at end of product life... after 1.3 years... like dtek50/60 now ;-). IMHO.
    02-28-18 04:14 AM
    Apple invented every thing. They invented the cell phone didn't you know??? They have invented stuff they haven't even invented yet!!!!
    Come now, be fair! Apple has particularly been good at inventing things that other manufacturers have already brought to market. It's just that Apple is "so much better" at "innovation" because it's been refined and "Apple-ized". You know that there simply isn't any competition with Apple - how can there be? Apple does invent everything and at such a superior level (even when those components are manufactured by those same competitors) - so as a recent interview went with Cook.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40525409...vative-company

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or to shake my head at the level of conceit this guy has. Truth be said, he's a carbon copy of Jobs, only slightly diminished.
    02-28-18 04:48 AM
    Come now, be fair! Apple has particularly been good at inventing things that other manufacturers have already brought to market. It's just that Apple is "so much better" at "innovation" because it's been refined and "Apple-ized". You know that there simply isn't any competition with Apple - how can there be? Apple does invent everything and at such a superior level (even when those components are manufactured by those same competitors) - so as a recent interview went with Cook.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40525409...vative-company

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or to shake my head at the level of conceit this guy has. Truth be said, he's a carbon copy of Jobs, only slightly diminished.
    iSheep...iSheep everywhere.

How innovative to kill the removable battery, expandable storage and headphone jack. What's next, the charging port?

Such.

Mind-blowing.

Cash-gra...ahemmm,

Innovation.
    tazcubed likes this.
    02-28-18 06:31 AM
    iSheep...iSheep everywhere.

How innovative to kill the removable battery, expandable storage and headphone jack. What's next, the charging port?

Such.

Mind-blowing.

Cash-gra...ahemmm,

Innovation.
    You forgot the endless number of dongle adapters too - they'll never kill the charging port because of it (at least not until they can come up with a proprietary scheme for something else that's a cash-gra..ahemmm - innovation).
    the_boon likes this.
    02-28-18 07:42 AM
    looks gorgeous
    02-28-18 09:02 AM
    https://m.mysmartprice.com/mobile/bl...ghost-msp14271

Snapdragon 625 with 6GB Ram.
    ₹36,999 (Roughly $570)

Don't know how legit is it.

Azumarill likes this.
    02-28-18 10:27 AM
    Can snapdragon 625 support dual cameras?

Nevermind, SD625 supports dual camera setup (up to 13 MP)
    Last edited by ardakca; 02-28-18 at 10:58 AM.
    02-28-18 10:47 AM
    A timely reminder of Thurask's thread on the BBB100-7 and BBB100-1 KEYone models having identical banding. Presuming the Ghost keeps this specification, it would again have viability as an export.
    02-28-18 11:28 AM
    https://m.mysmartprice.com/mobile/bl...ghost-msp14271

Snapdragon 625 with 6GB Ram.
    ₹36,999 (Roughly $570)

Don't know how legit is it.

First sign of OREO... June fits with some of the rumors about it's timing.

The description "The BlackBerry is a high-end premium looking smartphone designed to compete with the likes of other flagship devices in the market. " at least they are honest in that it only looks like a premium device. Should be able to capture about 10% of the market that the Aurora did in India.
    02-28-18 11:59 AM
    A timely reminder of Thurask's thread on the BBB100-7 and BBB100-1 KEYone models having identical banding. Presuming the Ghost keeps this specification, it would again have viability as an export.
    To a point; advanced features like WiFi calling, VoLTE, stuff like that aren't guaranteed to work with imported phones.
    02-28-18 12:06 PM
    First sign of OREO... June fits with some of the rumors about it's timing.

The description "The BlackBerry is a high-end premium looking smartphone designed to compete with the likes of other flagship devices in the market. " at least they are honest in that it only looks like a premium device. Should be able to capture about 10% of the market that the Aurora did in India.
    10% of market?
    No way.
    It's competing directly with the 1+5T.
    The 5T is cheaper and better in almost everyway.
    Much more established.

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology...392-2018-02-25

Grabbing 10% share isn't going to be easy at all.

Mecca EL likes this.
    02-28-18 07:07 PM
    Ghost there -- and this here:

BlackBerry Ghost-priv-v2.jpg

Voilà, BlackBerry has arrived!
    02-28-18 08:31 PM
    Ghost there -- and this here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Priv v2.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	434664

Voilà, BlackBerry has arrived!
    As long as they keep it the same size and increase the screen to the top and bottom.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-28-18 08:41 PM
    10% of market?
    No way.
    It's competing directly with the 1+5T.
    The 5T is cheaper and better in almost everyway.
    Much more established.

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology...392-2018-02-25

Grabbing 10% share isn't going to be easy at all.

Sorry the "Should be able to capture about 10% of the market that the Aurora did in India." was sarcasm. While there is a market for premium devices in India... for the most part they know what is premium and what is not. They might used BlackBerry devices longer there than Western markets, but they don't live on another planet.
    03-01-18 07:19 AM
    Sorry the "Should be able to capture about 10% of the market that the Aurora did in India." was sarcasm. While there is a market for premium devices in India... for the most part they know what is premium and what is not. They might used BlackBerry devices longer there than Western markets, but they don't live on another planet.
    My bad.
    They only used BlackBerry for longer because here the phones are brought upfront so people tend to keep their devices for longer.

03-01-18 09:03 AM
141 1234 ...