I wonder if the rest of the world will be getting the Evolve and Evolve X. They would need cooperation of TCL for that matter if I'm not mistaken, just like TCL needed their cooperation to launch the KeyOne in India. Optiemus only has the BlackBerry rights in a handful of markets so far.

I do hope that will be the case though.
    aodash likes this.
    08-03-18 05:50 PM
    I wonder if the rest of the world will be getting the Evolve and Evolve X. They would need cooperation of TCL for that matter if I'm not mistaken, just like TCL needed their cooperation to launch the KeyOne in India. Optiemus only has the BlackBerry rights in a handful of markets so far.

I do hope that will be the case though.
    TCL doesn’t release the KEYone in Optiemus territory but TCL manufactured the KEYone for Optiemus to sell in their country territories. Optiemus designed and probably manufactured Evolve and Evolve X for territory countries. If TCL wants to sell device in their respective territory countries, they could have Optiemus manufacture the hardware and TCL could then resell.
    08-03-18 08:20 PM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I think the Evolve phones WILL make there way to other countries, via TLC .. in the months ahead .. through cross liscensing arrangements .. likely late autumn ... for those interested in those ...
    08-07-18 09:05 AM
    I think the Evolve phones WILL make there way to other countries, via TLC .. in the months ahead .. through cross liscensing arrangements .. likely late autumn ... for those interested in those ...
    TCL is working on their own all touch phone. I don't see them adding both of Optiemus phones and their own..... and it's pretty clear the all touch market for BBMo wasn't a huge success. Lot's of phones get released in other markets and stay in those markets.

Someone probable will export in unofficially and sell it through different channels... those that really want them, will be able to get them. But support and even updates???
    08-07-18 09:57 AM
    But support and even updates???
    That's the key question.
    08-10-18 07:47 PM
    That's the key question.
    Not really.. just buy the device completely at your own risk from unproven licensee with no certain warranty. Seriously....What could go wrong ?
    08-10-18 09:19 PM
    Not really.. just buy the device completely at your own risk from unproven licensee with no certain warranty. Seriously....What could go wrong ?
    Doesn't the Blackberry global warranty apply to these devices?
    08-11-18 12:05 AM
    Doesn't the Blackberry global warranty apply to these devices?
    What BB global warranty? BB licensed out the name and provides the BBAndroid software as part of the license. Your hardware and warranty is from the licensed seller in your country. I live in the USA. My device selection is whatever is sold by TCL/BBMo in the USA and warranty is though BBMo/TCL in the USA. Even buying a BBMo/TCL device from Canada, UK or some other country for dual sim could mean I have to go through warranty requirements in that country. People that bought KEYone from official retailer in UK at launch that officially shipped to USA had recourse through official retailer and whatever procedures were in place through UK. Anything beyond that is not official and not guaranteed to be covered.

If you can find an official retailer that will sell you the Optiemus BB Evolve or Evolve X and find a way to ship to you in your country, great. Just make sure that retailer has the warranty infrastructure to help you in the reverse if you need. If you’re lucky, as in the UK example, and can return your device to retailer for warranty, shipping internationally at your expense is just one caveat. The valid warranty is the other since Optiemus and it’s retailer can’t sell their hardware directly in TCL/BBMo licensed territories. So I’d be curious how you’d buy your device without going through unofficial third party. Using that unofficial third party could either void your warranty or require they would have to handle any warranty claims and not get caught selling device outside the Optiemus territory.

The warranty exists at the OEM level but exercising your rights don’t exist if they don’t apply to you.
    08-11-18 08:26 AM
    What BB global warranty? BB licensed out the name and provides the BBAndroid software as part of the license. Your hardware and warranty is from the licensed seller in your country. I live in the USA. My device selection is whatever is sold by TCL/BBMo in the USA and warranty is though BBMo/TCL in the USA. Even buying a BBMo/TCL device from Canada, UK or some other country for dual sim could mean I have to go through warranty requirements in that country. People that bought KEYone from official retailer in UK at launch that officially shipped to USA had recourse through official retailer and whatever procedures were in place through UK. Anything beyond that is not official and not guaranteed to be covered.

If you can find an official retailer that will sell you the Optiemus BB Evolve or Evolve X and find a way to ship to you in your country, great. Just make sure that retailer has the warranty infrastructure to help you in the reverse if you need. If you’re lucky, as in the UK example, and can return your device to retailer for warranty, shipping internationally at your expense is just one caveat. The valid warranty is the other since Optiemus and it’s retailer can’t sell their hardware directly in TCL/BBMo licensed territories. So I’d be curious how you’d buy your device without going through unofficial third party. Using that unofficial third party could either void your warranty or require they would have to handle any warranty claims and not get caught selling device outside the Optiemus territory.

The warranty exists at the OEM level but exercising your rights don’t exist if they don’t apply to you.
    In short, don't buy the Evolve slabs if you're not in India lol
    08-14-18 03:02 PM
    In short, don't buy the Evolve slabs if you're not in India lol
    Correct.....
    08-14-18 08:12 PM
    Correct.....
    I don't even know if that's fully correct.... I'd want some assurances from Optiemus that their "support" will be more in line with BBMo's and that these aren't Auroras part II.

They are clearly a premium cost over other devices, so they should include monthly updates and two feature updates... guaranteed. Or users are paying a premium for nothing.

But outside of official sales channels and thus support channels... would be too big of a risk. But I'm sure some collectors will risk it.
    08-15-18 07:39 AM
    I don't even know if that's fully correct.... I'd want some assurances from Optiemus that their "support" will be more in line with BBMo's and that these aren't Auroras part II.

They are clearly a premium cost over other devices, so they should include monthly updates and two feature updates... guaranteed. Or users are paying a premium for nothing.

But outside of official sales channels and thus support channels... would be too big of a risk. But I'm sure some collectors will risk it.
    I had to reread your reply twice.. your assertion is that don’t necessarily buy the device even in origin country without proof of future support. Correct?
    08-15-18 08:16 AM
    I had to reread your reply twice.. your assertion is that don’t necessarily buy the device even in origin country without proof of future support. Correct?
    Yes...

Updates are a big reason people buy BlackBerry Android phones - other than the PKB. These are the first phones that Optiemus is doing without BBMo. The other licensee - PT BB Merah Putih in Indonesia - didn't do a good job. And Indian OEM's aren't know for updating their phones - one reason Nokia is doing so well there.
    08-15-18 08:37 AM
    I've got the Motion as well as the k1B . I like the design over the Evolve, as it looks at least a bit different to other slabs and has a convenience key.
    If Dunt's gut feeling is right, and you live in Europe, the UK or NA, I'd wait to check out the TCL offering first, ie, Motion 2. In the meantime, I'm going to continue enjoying my Motion that works really well, minus camera quality.
    08-17-18 12:08 PM
    I'm all in on the Evolve X simply for the BlackBerry logo that they put on the front of the phone! How shallow is that? Warranty be damned!
    Azumarill, herbersh and aecgda like this.
    08-17-18 06:47 PM
    I'm all in on the Evolve X simply for the BlackBerry logo that they put on the front of the phone! How shallow is that? Warranty be damned!
    I do like the Blackberry brand name on the front. The Motion at least has the logo on the home button. Let's see if they'll add the name to the next TCL touch device.
    08-18-18 05:25 AM
    My take is that the market is oversatured with slabs, and the Z30, Dteks and Motion proved just how few want to type on BlackBerry glass.
    Did keyone do any better in sales than those slabs on the market? If you think so, do you mind if you give me the numbers
    08-18-18 06:27 AM
    Did keyone do any better in sales than those slabs on the market? If you think so, do you mind if you give me the numbers
    For BB, regardless of PKB sales volume, VKB sales volume has always been lower for respective devices of time. For BB, it’s selling feature is the PKB and that’s because it’s synonymous with the brand.
    08-18-18 06:38 AM
    For BB, regardless of PKB sales volume, VKB sales volume has always been lower for respective devices of time. For BB, it’s selling feature is the PKB and that’s because it’s synonymous with the brand.
    This.

"The keyboard is why you buy a BlackBerry in 2018"

-Mr Mobile
    08-19-18 01:05 PM
    I don't know... I expect their two biggest sellers of all time were the STORM and the Z10.

PKB is all they have left to differentiate themselves at this point, but VKB sales haven't always been lower than PKB.

But I do agree that when people hear BlackBerry they think keyboards....
    08-20-18 07:57 AM
    I don't know... I expect their two biggest sellers of all time were the STORM and the Z10.

PKB is all they have left to differentiate themselves at this point, but VKB sales haven't always been lower than PKB.

But I do agree that when people hear BlackBerry they think keyboards....
    There’s no way the Storm and Z10 outsold the Curve, Bold or Q10. I’d bet Bold or Curve. The 80 million BIS/BES users of 2008-2012 had to use something and Storm wasn’t available everywhere with all carriers. The Z10 was expected to outsell the Q10 with new customers which returned phones in huge quantities. The Q10 was the device that I’d bet cash generated higher net sales....
    08-20-18 06:17 PM
    There’s no way the Storm and Z10 outsold the Curve, Bold or Q10. I’d bet Bold or Curve. The 80 million BIS/BES users of 2008-2012 had to use something and Storm wasn’t available everywhere with all carriers. The Z10 was expected to outsell the Q10 with new customers which returned phones in huge quantities. The Q10 was the device that I’d bet cash generated higher net sales....
    It's been estimated they built 5 Million Z10s in order to meet their plans for selling 20 million phones (which never happened), and had placed component orders for even more. They wrote off over $4 Billion in 2013 just on unsold hardware.... I'm sure some of that was the Q10 and Z30 too, but the majority were those Z10s. And a developer here once shared a breakdown on his app, the Z10 far exceed all the other devices combined. Add in the Z30, Z3 and LEAP and for BB10 I bet more VKB were made than PKBs

With BBOS ... you right, the big year for BlackBerry was 2011 and there really weren't any VKB devices still in production then (other than PlayBook). STORM was just the last time I remember excitement about BlackBerry from consumers/carriers in general. Fans always got excited about a new BlackBerry.
    08-21-18 10:10 AM
    It's been estimated they built 5 Million Z10s in order to meet their plans for selling 20 million phones (which never happened), and had placed component orders for even more. They wrote off over $4 Billion in 2013 just on unsold hardware.... I'm sure some of that was the Q10 and Z30 too, but the majority were those Z10s. And a developer here once shared a breakdown on his app, the Z10 far exceed all the other devices combined. Add in the Z30, Z3 and LEAP and for BB10 I bet more VKB were made than PKBs

With BBOS ... you right, the big year for BlackBerry was 2011 and there really weren't any VKB devices still in production then (other than PlayBook). STORM was just the last time I remember excitement about BlackBerry from consumers/carriers in general. Fans always got excited about a new BlackBerry.
    I’m just picking one BB10 device. I speculate that Q10 outsold Classic which in turn I suspect outsold Passport. I picked the Q series outselling the Z series counterparts because of historical consumer PKB sales bias for BB hardware and more carrier sales channels available especially regarding AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint in North America.

My career involves some odds-making, gambling type skills and experience. I don’t have actual sales numbers, but I feel pretty strong in backing up my speculation with statistical probability logic projections.
    08-21-18 08:55 PM
    I’m just picking one BB10 device. I speculate that Q10 outsold Classic which in turn I suspect outsold Passport. I picked the Q series outselling the Z series counterparts because of historical consumer PKB sales bias for BB hardware and more carrier sales channels available especially regarding AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint in North America.

My career involves some odds-making, gambling type skills and experience. I don’t have actual sales numbers, but I feel pretty strong in backing up my speculation with statistical probability logic projections.
    Yes, I use guesswork on a daily basis too.
    08-22-18 06:46 AM
    Yes, I use guesswork on a daily basis too.
    Really? Interesting. What do you do?
    08-22-18 10:17 AM
97 1234