I noticed that microsoft is selling an unlocked version of the idol phone that is the base for the dtek60. It's only $199 with the extra assessories included (memory card, VR goggle, etc). It runs windows 10, but I'm wondering if anyone can comment on its effaciacy as a phone (not as media portal) compared to the dtek60, as they are similar phones.

I am familar with windows 8.1 mobile and nougat (not marshmallow).

Sent from my primary phone, a pristine BlackBerry 9900!
    09-22-17 12:55 PM
    Might want to head over to Windows Central and look up the Idol 4S, as I doubt many here have ever tried it..... Might get lucky, but that's the best place.. Plus they'll know about updates and other Idol 4S info..
    09-22-17 01:59 PM
    I can hear crickets chirping and see cobwebs blowing over at windows central. I thought I'd ask here first.

09-22-17 02:10 PM
    I just placed an order for this phone today and based part of my decision not only on price but also the Windows Central review. The biggest complaints seem to be the lack of NFC, slippery glass finish, and that it's merely OK as a VR driver. I do like the fact it has 4GB/64GB over the DTEK60's 3GB/32GB. Having difficulty logging into WC to get the link but will try later.

*EDIT*

https://www.windowscentral.com/alcatel-idol-4s
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 09-26-17 at 10:54 AM.
    09-26-17 10:36 AM
    Not only do I appreciate the larger memory and storage but also that it runs on W10, an OS I find so much better on a device rather than a PC, and to be so much more logical and easy to use than Android, for me at least. With the DTEK60 at $635(CDN) still, it just makes sense to jump on the Idol 4s at $249(CDN), what do you really have to lose?
    09-26-17 12:11 PM
    I noticed that microsoft is selling an unlocked version of the idol phone that is the base for the dtek60. It's only $199 with the extra assessories included (memory card, VR goggle, etc). It runs windows 10, but I'm wondering if anyone can comment on its effaciacy as a phone (not as media portal) compared to the dtek60, as they are similar phones.

I am familar with windows 8.1 mobile and nougat (not marshmallow).

What device/OS are you using now? I have a Lumia 950XL WM10. I tried to use it as my primary but messaging was too squirrely. BB10 and BB Android Hub are superior for that. Otherwise WM10 is pretty cool OS. MS apps and Office work great. Free offline maps using bing maps. Edge browser is good.
    09-26-17 12:24 PM
    What device/OS are you using now? I have a Lumia 950XL WM10. I tried to use it as my primary but messaging was too squirrely. BB10 and BB Android Hub are superior for that. Otherwise WM10 is pretty cool OS. MS apps and Office work great. Free offline maps using bing maps. Edge browser is good.
    I have to say that messaging is a bit fractured in W10 but it's not that bad and something I got used to on my 650DS. One of my gripes is that there is no BBM on W10 but that is more than made up for by navigating with Here Maps, probably the best device based GPS mapping apps I've ever used. Anyhow, out of the other major OS's I find W10 to feel most like BB10 despite the ugly tiles.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    09-26-17 12:52 PM
    I use BB7 on Bold 9900 right now. It's usually the only phone I carry. You really can't beat the typing and messaging on this phone.

That said, I also have, as backup, a passport, a lumia 830 running WP8.1, and a nougat phone, so I'm covered on all the OS bases.

So, do I need a WP10 phone? No, not really. But the specs are good and the price is good, and I like the WP OS on mobile. I have a lot of fun making custom tiles on it too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900!
    09-27-17 02:39 PM
    I just placed an order for this phone today and based part of my decision not only on price but also the Windows Central review. The biggest complaints seem to be the lack of NFC, slippery glass finish, and that it's merely OK as a VR driver. I do like the fact it has 4GB/64GB over the DTEK60's 3GB/32GB. Having difficulty logging into WC to get the link but will try later.

*EDIT*

https://www.windowscentral.com/alcatel-idol-4s
    The DTEK60 is 4/32 GB not 3/32 GB.

I actually own the Idol 4S w/ Windows 10 as well, so I am in a unique position to answer the OPs question. I don't miss the downgrade in resolution from QHD to FHD on the Win 10 version. I thought I would but I don't.

Also, it's running 32bit Win 10, not 64bit, so only 3.5GB of RAM is addressable out of 4GB. The extra storage for me is not really important as I believe a better strategy is to keep important things on an SD card. Galvanic corrosion will kill the internals if a bit of moisture gets in the phone, long before you ever get to crack it open to rinse it with distilled water (ask me how I know...)

What's really nice with Win 10 is if you get the Continuum dock (~$40 on ebay.) I have one and my Idol 4S is plugged into my 3rd display (1920x1200.) The dock has DP, HDMI, and 3x USB-A ports, USB-C input for power, and USB-C to your phone. Note that you can only drive one display on the DP port, so it looks like no MST support. Once you plug the phone into the dock using the front facing USB-C port, the phone itself turns into a touchpad and/or keyboard. The idea of course is for you to plug in keyboard/mouse into the 3 USB-A ports (or use BT), but you can control the mouse with the touchpad in a pinch. Speaking of pinches, many (if not all) Win10 gestures are supported on the touchpad, such as pinch to zoom, double-finger scroll, etc.

As far as I am concerned, it's like a small mobile workstation. You get the full Office suite, remote desktop, etc. Performance is a bit laggy when you go Continuum mode, but it's ok all considered. I have a high end Samsung 256 GB SD card in it (90 MB/s read/write.)

App store is really thin, but you do have Telegram for Win10 Mobile. The Edge browser works just fine, though it's missing some refinements. You can watch youtube, etc through the browser, though there are several paid youtube apps in the store, none of which I tried yet. Not the best user experience on mobile, but doable, and in Continuum mode, it's the same as the desktop really. Overall, compared to Android, it's a mixed bag. There are some things that are really nice and you wonder why Android doesn't have it, and then there are plenty of things in Android that Win10 Mobile is missing (besides apps.) You can pick up a nice refurb for about $100 on eBay, so you can't argue with that price.
    09-30-17 05:16 PM
    Thanks for the comments!

I bought the alcatel for windows 10. I should be getting a dock in a day or two, so I'll try out continuum. Say what you will about windows mobile, but at least they tried some true innovation.

I might get a dtek60 case for the phone, as it should fit just fine, I hope.

10-11-17 04:12 PM
    Thanks for the comments!

I bought the alcatel for windows 10. I should be getting a dock in a day or two, so I'll try out continuum. Say what you will about windows mobile, but at least they tried some true innovation.

I might get a dtek60 case for the phone, as it should fit just fine, I hope.

Yeah, both BB10 and W10 were both excellent and under-rated operating systems but in hindsight BB10 users didn't know how lucky we were with apps compared to those in the Windows Store. Even so, I'm still able to find what I need if not what I want.

I bought a DTEK60 case as there seems to be a lack of decent cases even for the Android Idol. I bought a beautiful leather book style one from StilGut on Amazon, it really is gorgeous and fits the Idol perfectly, It's expensive, mind you but its quality is second to none. Here's the Canadian listing:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...UvbUpU13043395
    10-12-17 05:55 AM
    The Incipio Octane Pure for the Idol 4S is what I use on both the Win10 Idol 4S and the D60. What I particularly like with this case is that the TPU band that is attached to the plexiglass backing is really stiff, so it won't peel off the phone with a face fall. Button feel is still good.
    10-12-17 02:16 PM
    I went with a wallet case for it. Should arrive soon. I was looking at dtek60 case on amazon but the cut-outs looked wrongly placed for the idol 4s.

Windows apps or lack thereof doesn't concern me. Getting Office and the continuum features is more important. How well does edge browser work on continuum? I use some web-based programs, so I guess I'll see...

10-12-17 02:41 PM
    The only difference between the D60 and Idol 4S is the camera hump. The D60 specific case will NOT fit the Idol 4S as the round hole in the case won't fit the squarish hump, but the Idol 4S case squarish hole will fit the D60 round hump. Not perfectly mind you as the squarish hump won't settle completely down on the round hump, but that gives the D60 camera glass extra protection.

One last note about the D60 and Idol 4S differences regarding the camera glass.... The cameras underneath the glass are identical as well as the back panel. So why did BB choose a round hump? I believe they wanted to go for cheaper camera glass and hump assembly, probably something off the shelf. The glass on my Idol 4S seems much harder. The D60 glass gets abrasions quite easily.
    10-12-17 04:12 PM
    The only difference between the D60 and Idol 4S is the camera hump. The D60 specific case will NOT fit the Idol 4S as the round hole in the case won't fit the squarish hump, but the Idol 4S case squarish hole will fit the D60 round hump. Not perfectly mind you as the squarish hump won't settle completely down on the round hump, but that gives the D60 camera glass extra protection.

One last note about the D60 and Idol 4S differences regarding the camera glass.... The cameras underneath the glass are identical as well as the back panel. So why did BB choose a round hump? I believe they wanted to go for cheaper camera glass and hump assembly, probably something off the shelf. The glass on my Idol 4S seems much harder. The D60 glass gets abrasions quite easily.
    I bought a DTEK60 case from StilGut, a German company that hand makes its cases, and it fit my Idol 4s perfectly:

the windows phone version?-img_20171012_173257.jpg

You can blame my partner for the tablecloth
    10-12-17 09:26 PM
    I received the dock for my Alcatel and hooked everything up. WOW! It's just like working on my desktop. I don't notice any speed difference, and websites load up like they look on the desktop. Very impressive. Microsoft did something very special with Continuum. Too bad Windows Mobile 10 is in maintenance mode now.

Between this Continuum-attached phone and my regular Blackberry carry phone, I'm set!
    10-14-17 10:52 AM
    Always wanted to try a Windows Phone. With the added bonus of Continuum, I might need to pick one of these up.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163  pin:2C09CE92
    10-14-17 11:47 AM
    Always wanted to try a Windows Phone. With the added bonus of Continuum, I might need to pick one of these up.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163  pin:2C09CE92
    Should be able to get them used and in great condition now for relatively cheap. I recommend the Lumia 950XL if you want to get the most out of WM10 experience. Excellent hardware and MS's last flagship device.
    10-14-17 12:00 PM
    Should be able to get them used and in great condition now for relatively cheap. I recommend the Lumia 950XL if you want to get the most out of WM10 experience. Excellent hardware and MS's last flagship device.
    How is the WM10 experience better on the 950XL than on the Idol 4S?
    10-15-17 02:41 AM
    How is the WM10 experience better on the 950XL than on the Idol 4S?
    Can't say. Never used a 4S. Just offered my opinion. If you have used both, your opinion will be more valuable.
    10-15-17 12:49 PM
    Get the 4s. It's cheaper yet has better specs and is newer than 950xl.

Continuum-wise, it works fine for me.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    jamesharmeling and Tim-ANC like this.
    10-15-17 10:06 PM