Perhaps I can help you here. BB is done with handsets in the US...PERIOD! And I'll reference Chen's statement from today's call. Unless you live in Indonesia, you're SOL moving forward.

"BlackBerry has signed one agreement already with a telecom joint venture in Indonesia. BB Merah Putih will manufacture, distribute and promote BlackBerry-branded devices running the company's secure versions of Android software and applications for the Indonesian market. BlackBerry has the option to distribute these devices outside of Indonesia, but Chen said it is not likely to do so."
    Yes, they have signed one partnership with a company in Indonesia. They also have signed an agreement with TCL, for, at the very least, the DTEK50 and DTEK60.

There are multiple vectors for this new mandate.
    09-28-16 12:02 PM
    I work for one of the leading global enterprise organizations - a massive organization I might add...I think you don't understand and it's funny how you try to skew everyone's thought process. Your comment makes ZERO sense and to be very clear, BB will not be offering any company handsets anytime soon. If you understand today's announcement from BB, my hope this sinks in finally.
    I do not agree with your assessment. I happen to know that BlackBerry is peddling the DTEK devices as an option in their EMM portfolio.

Why so angry guy? This is supposed to be a fun place to discuss things.
    zephyr613 and tickerguy like this.
    09-28-16 12:03 PM
    I do not agree with your assessment. I happen to know that BlackBerry is peddling the DTEK devices as an option in their EMM portfolio.

Why so angry guy? This is supposed to be a fun place to discuss things.
    Sorry, not angry at all.....while your uplifting tone has generally been a good thing, I think now you're just too optimistic given the facts on the table. I've been a LONGTIME BB supporter and still am, but as you already know, I can't use BB devices any longer as they aren't supported by my carrier and as of this morning BB is existing the handset business. Not sure what BB is peddling here in the states as their phones won't be supported by the largest carrier. I also don't know any corporation wiling to jump on the BB handset bandwagon at this point.

BTW: You're in SD correct?
    09-28-16 12:10 PM
    Sorry, not angry at all.....while your uplifting tone has generally been a good thing, I think now you're just too optimistic given the facts on the table. I've been a LONGTIME BB supporter and still am, but as you already know, I can't use BB devices any longer as they aren't supported by my carrier and as of this morning BB is existing the handset business. Not sure what BB is peddling here in the states as their phones won't be supported by the largest carrier. I also don't know any corporation wiling to jump on the BB handset bandwagon at this point.

BTW: You're in SD correct?
    I'm in Canada.

I'm just not convinced that this is all doom and gloom. BlackBerry's reluctance over the years to support CDMA is not exactly unique, and that's too bad for sure.

I'm with Bla1ze here (and he knows more than either of us). BlackBerry is exiting the design and manufacture of devices, but not the device business. I think the true scope and the details of this will come out in the next few days.
    09-28-16 12:16 PM
    Since "Software is the new BlackBerry," shouldn't we be able to download the DTEK60 from Google Play or the App Store?

Posted via CB10 with my awesome Passport
    09-28-16 12:20 PM
    I'm in Canada.

I'm just not convinced that this is all doom and gloom. BlackBerry's reluctance over the years to support CDMA is not exactly unique, and that's too bad for sure.

I'm with Bla1ze here (and he knows more than either of us). BlackBerry is exiting the design and manufacture of devices, but not the device business. I think the true scope and the details of this will come out in the next few days.
    Z10/Z30 have worked great here in the states to date, but I have moved on beyond them. I certainly hope there's more to this story, but it's not looking positive based on Chen's statements prior and with today's messaging.

Cheers!
    09-28-16 12:24 PM
    This handwritting has been on the wall for a LONG time! This is nothing new folks!
    Carjackd likes this.
    09-28-16 12:52 PM
    Z10/Z30 have worked great here in the states to date, but I have moved on beyond them. I certainly hope there's more to this story, but it's not looking positive based on Chen's statements prior and with today's messaging.

Cheers!
    Check this out:

http://www.bnn.ca/technology/video/b...ng-move~961048
    09-28-16 01:04 PM
    I'm in Canada.

It is not just CDMA they are not supporting.

By his willful carrier negligence... Chen is also ignoring Tmo (no WFC and no LTE band 12 use).

So take 2 of the top 3 carriers off the table in the largest market in the world.

Stupid... stupid... STUPID!!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 01:18 PM
    Sprint doesn't want BlackBerry. They haven't carried anything since the Q10.
    Verizon had a few, but stopped on the PRIV.

By his willful carrier negligence... Chen is also ignoring Tmo (no WFC and no LTE band 12 use).

So take 2 of the top 3 carriers off the table in the largest market in the world.

Lest we forget that T-Mobile USA and BlackBerry were in a spat that some customers here DEMANDED. Then they made up and T-Mobile USA started offering BlackBerry's again, even opening up Wi-Fi Calling to all BlackBerry BB10's, sold on their network or not. T-Mobile even carried the PRIV and sales weren't great, because customers would rather buy directly through BlackBerry for quicker updates.

Willful negligence? Nope, BlackBerry tried.
    09-28-16 02:17 PM

The Priv, DTEK50, and DTEK60 all have band 12.
    09-28-16 02:24 PM
    Chen is all over the map....Wow. He's excellent at confusing the **** out of investors and his customer base.

Here's an article for you regarding the enterprise.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...191524555.html
    09-28-16 02:41 PM
    The Priv, DTEK50, and DTEK60 all have band 12.
    LTE Band 12 will not work on Tmo with DTE50 (and probably the DTEK60) because Chen is back to his arrogant attitude of ignoring carriers.

09-28-16 02:55 PM
    09-28-16 03:01 PM
    LTE Band 12 will not work on Tmo with DTE50 (and probably the DTEK60) because Chen is back to his arrogant attitude of ignoring carriers.

TMO requires a vendor to pay to have their Band 12 phones certified on their network, despite LTE-A / VoLTE being a published, formal standard and the baseband manufacturers (e.g. Qualcomm) are the ones putting out the firmware for same.

This is a flat-out outrageous act on Legere's part and you ought to lynch HIM, not BlackBerry. In fact what ought to happen is that his *** ought to be indicted under 15 USC Section 1 for that crap as it is blatantly ​anti-competitive.
    09-28-16 03:12 PM
    TMO requires a vendor to pay to have their Band 12 phones certified on their network, despite LTE-A / VoLTE being a published, formal standard and the baseband manufacturers (e.g. Qualcomm) are the ones putting out the firmware for same.

This is a flat-out outrageous act on Legere's part and you ought to lynch HIM, not BlackBerry. In fact what ought to happen is that his *** ought to be indicted under 15 USC Section 1 for that crap as it is blatantly ​anti-competitive.
    The Tmo side of it is a discussion for a different forum.

But it is what it is... and other hardware manufacturers deal with it.

It is stupid, Stupid, STUPID for chen not to deal with it! In fact it is disingenuous...

09-28-16 07:42 PM
    I saw a dummie dtek50 at one of the carriers in Canada so maybe the 60 will get some love from the carriers too

Posted via the handsome BlackBerry PRIV
    09-28-16 07:45 PM

Chen isn't "ignoring T-Mo." Rather, T-Mo has the numbers that show that BB phones don't sell well for them, so they are declining to carry them in the store any longer. And while they're happy to activate a BB phone for you if you bring it to them, they only support WFC and LTE Band 12 on phones that they carry themselves. The only exception to this rule were some BB10 phones - and that was only because the OS and the internal hardware were essentially identical between phones.

I'm not sure what you think Chen could do to "motivate" T-Mo to spend T-Mo's time and money to integrate and certify these features for a phone they don't even carry, when Chen can't even promise they'd sell more than 30,000 units. Remember, BB is only selling 400k units per quarter worldwide, including BBOS, BB10, and Android models.

It's actually impressive that there are BB-branded phones available at all.
    Uzi, JeepBB and Centerman66 like this.
    09-28-16 08:51 PM
    Chen isn't "ignoring T-Mo." Rather, T-Mo has the numbers that show that BB phones don't sell well for them, so they are declining to carry them in the store any longer. And while they're happy to activate a BB phone for you if you bring it to them, they only support WFC and LTE Band 12 on phones that they carry themselves. The only exception to this rule were some BB10 phones - and that was only because the OS and the internal hardware were essentially identical between phones.

I'm not sure what you think Chen could do to "motivate" T-Mo to spend T-Mo's time and money to integrate and certify these features for a phone they don't even carry, when Chen can't even promise they'd sell more than 30,000 units. Remember, BB is only selling 400k units per quarter worldwide, including BBOS, BB10, and Android models.

It's actually impressive that there are BB-branded phones available at all.
    Ignore that guy , he spews nothing but hate.

09-28-16 09:24 PM

He would... but likely enjoys bloviating to a captive audience too much...

And if you can't tell who is the true BlackBerry fan... then you should check yourself before using words like hate.

Hint... the BlackBerry fan in NOT T.T.

09-28-16 09:44 PM
    I don't hate BB, but I'm also a realist. T-Mo made their stance clear on this issue years ago - long before it had anything to do with BB. Plenty of non-BB devices have also not gotten WFC, and, much more recently, not gotten Band 12 support. T-Mo isn't picking on BB, and BB isn't "ignoring" T-Mo.

But if you want to attack me personally instead of refuting what I wrote, well, I guess that's okay too.
    JeepBB and Centerman66 like this.
    09-28-16 11:52 PM
    Incidentally AT&T does the exact same thing and it is exactly the same unlawful thing -- they refuse to allow VoLTE on the same hardware and baseband code if you didn't buy "theirs" (the Priv.)

You folks really ought to go read 15 USC Chap 1 sometime. Any act intended to restrain trade or fix prices by a firm with market power (and by definition all cell companies in the US have same, since there are so few actual firms with towers up) is a felony. There are further pieces of US code that make tied sales unlawful (again, at a felony criminal level) where the consumer does not desire the tied product or service. IBM got ramrodded with this years ago in their fight with Amdahl as have other firms -- but in the last 30 or so years this entire body of law has become nothing more than a bad joke.

Oh, and if you believe there's an exemption for said telcos then please find it in US Code and cite it. I've been unable to find same and don't believe it exists; I've looked, and not just for telcos but also for the entire "health" industry, which also has no such exemption and yet violations that body of law on a wanton and outrageous basis every single day.
    09-29-16 06:29 AM
    How much does it really cost BB to have T-Mobile white list their phones for Wi-Fi Calling? Is it a cost per phone sold by T-Mobile? Does anyone know the answer to this question?

The Priv has WFC. Is it because T-Mobile sold the Priv in stores and is that the reason DTEK50 doesn't have WFC? I'm really perplexed with this WFC issue. Wouldn't it be in T-Mobile's best interest to have every phone that is capable of WFC white listed on their network?
    09-29-16 10:31 AM
    How much does it really cost BB to have T-Mobile white list their phones for Wi-Fi Calling? Is it a cost per phone sold by T-Mobile? Does anyone know the answer to this question?

The Priv has WFC. Is it because T-Mobile sold the Priv in stores and is that the reason DTEK50 doesn't have WFC? I'm really perplexed with this WFC issue. Wouldn't it be in T-Mobile's best interest to have every phone that is capable of WFC white listed on their network?
    WFC is just a funky implementation of SIP, really. The real issue is Band 12, which T-Mobile has deployed and in fact turned off legacy GSM service in many areas where it is now available.

T-Mobile demands that phone manufacturers pay for their custom "testing" of all new handsets, individually, before "allowing" Band 12 to work on their network and they have even strong-armed manufacturers into turning off Band 12 in the Baseband code that have not paid up for said testing. Their claim is that the reason for this is that if you are in a Band-12 only area and make a 911 call, but the handset cannot do VoLTE then you won't connect to another potential carrier for the 911 call at all, and thus can't dial 911. As a reminder the FCC requires that all phones be able to dial 911 even if you are not subscribed to service and/or can't register on that carrier. T-Mobile has used this requirement as a cudgel in an attempt to force manufacturers to pay them for testing.

Ok, fair enough, BUT (1) you can manual select carriers and thus evade this problem IF you needed to and (2) VoLTE / IMS is a published standard and thus either a phone supports it or it does not.

If it does and can then T-Mobile's demand appears on its face to be nothing more than extortion and an attempted act of forcing a tied sale which is illegal​ in the United States.

So where are the damned handcuffs for Legere?

PS: This problem is going to get much worse over the next few years as all the carriers are transitioning off legacy GSM and CDMA networks, are turning them off, will repurpose that frequency band to LTE and most of them will probably, in at least some areas, not have any other service available -- and thus what T-Mobile is doing now with their demand for money to "certify" VoLTE will spread to other carriers until and unless someone goes to jail for doing it. I note that today a non-ATT Priv will not connect to VoLTE as AT&T can and does refuse to provision for it unless you bought the identical hardware device with their branding and crapware on it.
    Last edited by tickerguy; 09-29-16 at 12:02 PM.
    09-29-16 11:29 AM
    Argue the facts, the phones NOT each other please!

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

No one has gotten out of hand yet, just a friendly reminder!
    aecgda likes this.
    09-29-16 11:54 AM
83 1234