I talked to some people who also got the 60 but they noted that the phone comes from China-based TCL. They note that given the phone of origin comes from a country that is notorious for hacking; will the state apparatus be trying to find back doors to this phone?

Security is paramount and a phone made in a country that likes to snoop around people's emails is concerning to these people. Anyone like to take a jab at this potential issue?

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    11-01-16 01:32 AM
    Lol iPhone made in China too
    Jrox74 likes this.
    11-01-16 02:07 AM
    Lol iPhone made in China too
    Made in China, but totally controlled by Apple in designing, testing, software, Quality Assurance, and Quality Control, while DTEK60 is a rebranded Chinese phone with few software adds that BlackBerry call it secure.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    11-01-16 02:15 AM
    Made in China, but totally controlled by Apple in designing, testing, software, Quality Assurance, and Quality Control, while DTEK60 is a rebranded Chinese phone with few software adds that BlackBerry call it secure.
    One would think if Apple has all the control you think it does that all the Iphone leaks/pics before official unveiling wouldn't happen. As it is there is almost literally nothing that comes from new Iphones that public doesn't know beforehand.

I'm sure there is some small possibility of a breach where a nation-state is involved. After all Stuxnet happened. But its always more useful to narrow your target otherwise you get overwhelmed with useless data ala you create a 'needle in the haystack' where analyzing the data is as monumental a task as acquiring it. If a breach is possible it would happen at a local distribution channel not overseas somewhere.
    11-01-16 02:30 AM
    Who really has time to give a toss? Everything is made in China. Just live and let live.
    aecgda likes this.
    11-01-16 03:34 AM
    Don't worry. They sell tin foil hats for that.

Posted via CB10
    Mattster723 and Carjackd like this.
    11-01-16 04:10 AM
    I talked to some people who also got the 60 but they noted that the phone comes from China-based TCL. They note that given the phone of origin comes from a country that is notorious for hacking; will the state apparatus be trying to find back doors to this phone?

Security is paramount and a phone made in a country that likes to snoop around people's emails is concerning to these people. Anyone like to take a jab at this potential issue?

Posted via CB10
    You got a point.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-16 04:13 AM
    The hardware is made in China, the software is made by blackberry. They get the source code of android, make their customizations, add their apps and compile. Also the kernel and bootloader is rewritten and secured by BlackBerry.

But you are thinking wrong because even Microsoft has put backdoors on Windows at govs request so who cares about it? Everything is data mined these days and if you want true security don't use a computer and don't use a smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-16 04:26 AM
    Yeah I believe that lol
    Carjackd likes this.
    11-01-16 07:46 AM
    More worryingly is it safe from the Americans?
    m1kr0 and ominaxe like this.
    11-01-16 08:27 AM
    More worryingly is it safe from the Americans?
    Lol.
    11-01-16 08:28 AM
    Majority of smartphones are made in China, many of which have similar chipsets. The software is what makes all the difference. I understand the concern as even Lenovo was caught pre-loading the Superfish adware. But I doubt BlackBerry would blindly allow a device branded with their name to have security loopholes. I would expect some random lot checks and testing for compliance.

Then again what rsrocha says is the reality, "Everything is data mined these days and if you want true security don't use a computer and don't use a smartphone."
    11-01-16 08:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    Safe from Chinese but not safe from American
    11-01-16 09:30 AM
    What China will pin an extra mic in hardware??? Dear software controls the phone !
    11-01-16 09:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    No worries, the NSA approved security patches to Android will ensure that only the NSA will be doing the snooping.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    nyr4life likes this.
    11-01-16 10:28 AM
    Microsoft has put backdoors on Windows at govs request
    No, they have not. Source?
    11-01-16 10:37 AM
    Hacks come though software not hardware that is the first thing people need to understand.
    You can make it harder via a hardware build but you can't make it easier.
    Just because a architect designs and builds a house, it does not make the house secure. It's up to the people living in it to make it secure.. Install your alarm from a trusted source and actually use it everyday.
    11-01-16 10:48 AM
    US is king of hacking. You shouldn't be worried about China.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-16 11:21 AM
    No offence OP, but I doubt anyone would be interested in hacking you...
    11-01-16 11:49 AM
    Hacks come though software not hardware that is the first thing people need to understand.
    You can make it harder via a hardware build but you can't make it easier.
    Just because a architect designs and builds a house, it does not make the house secure. It's up to the people living in it to make it secure.. Install your alarm from a trusted source and actually use it everyday.

Just FYI...
    Proof of concept designed and made by UoM researchers, hardware level backdoor on chip in the CPU:
    https://www.wired.com/2016/06/demoni...computer-chip/
    11-01-16 01:35 PM
    Anyone like to take a jab at this potential issue?
    You should stick to all those great American made phones if this is a genuine worry for you.

Here's a list:
    zocster, Carjackd, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    11-01-16 02:16 PM
    Aaaaaaand. Crickets

Yep. A PassPort.
    11-01-16 02:35 PM
    Bla1ze, there must be some kind of error with your list, it appears blank on my screen.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    11-01-16 02:55 PM
    Bla1ze, there must be some kind of error with your list, it appears blank on my screen.
    Lol, this is sarcastic I hope. :-P

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    MTBBguy likes this.
    11-01-16 03:01 PM
    Yup. It is a very concise list of phones manufactured in the US, I believe!
    Thud Hardsmack and MTBBguy like this.
    11-01-16 03:06 PM
56 123