11-17-16 11:28 AM
46 12
tools
    "Why USB C on the 60?"

Because when you don't make your own phones, you take what your supplier will make for you.
    JeepBB and 00stryder like this.
    10-10-16 12:58 AM
    Leaving it on charge is not a problem; the charger shuts off when full.

Please stop spreading this sort of crazy misinformation.
    Yup

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 01:45 AM
    Lol you can get a set of like 6 cables of varying lengths for like $12 on Amazon or eBay. This complaint is not overly relevant.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-10-16 02:00 AM
    My guess would be Quick Charge 3.0

But I could be wrong...
    10-12-16 07:40 PM
    Leaving it on charge is not a problem; the charger shuts off when full.

Please stop spreading this sort of crazy misinformation.
    oh you're right, my mistake

I guess my point should be that using your phone while it's on charge isn't the greatest idea. It generates a lot more heat than usual. So leave it on charge, but try not to while you're actively using it.

Posted via CB10
    I'm happy to defer to the battery experts out there, since it doesn't make sense to me either. A wide number of reputable sources say don't charge overnight, if for no other reason that to keep the battery in its optimal 40-80% range. I seems they do best when in that range, not constantly being taken to extremes - like charging to 100% every night and draining down to 5% before plugging in.
    11-04-16 12:27 AM
    Most people change their phones before battery wear becomes a problem. I would charge whenever needed, no need to baby the battery.
    11-04-16 10:47 AM
    The "20-80%" thing is another myth.

Reality is this: Lithium chemistry cells lose ~20% of their capacity (more or less) after 500 cycles. A "cycle" is 0-100%-0. (Not really zero; just above low-voltage cut-off, so zero effective capacity.)

If you run from 100-50-100 you used half a cycle. If you use 80-20-80 you used 60% of a cycle.

If you use 80-30-80 twice in one day .vs. 100-0-100 in each case you used one cycle.

In other words there is very little difference in terms of actual service life between them... a cycle is a cycle, with few exceptions. Where it does matter is that heat damages cell capacity over time as well, because the hotter something is the faster chemical reactions take place, and some of the reactions in the battery are "bad" ones (the ones that damage service life.) So excessive heating during charging is not good, but the differences here are (mostly) at the margin.
    11-04-16 10:58 AM
    Change always happens. Get used to it
    11-04-16 11:27 AM
    Most people change their phones before battery wear becomes a problem. I would charge whenever needed, no need to baby the battery.
    This. As excited as we all are right now, withing 2 to 3 years will have all moved on to something else. And many of us will move on even sooner than that!
    11-04-16 12:58 PM
    Thanks for that ... probably the best description of why and how everyone seems to be right. And a good explanation as to why I've never noticed a problem, despite not doing what the "experts" recommend. Thanks again!
    11-04-16 06:17 PM
    Yeah, the other ugly is that most lithium chemistry cells are in pretty poor shape on time after about 2 years whether used or not. It's just the nature of batteries; they use highly-reactive elements in them by design (they have to otherwise they wouldn't work!) and as such start degrading pretty much on the day they're made, whether used or not. This is one of the arguments for easily-replaceable batteries for anything you intend to keep around; I've gone through two packs on my laptop so far (original and one replacement), and the second one is getting a bit down on capacity for my taste -- the laptop itself is ~5ish years old, so that's about right and I'll probably buy another pack here in the next few months. The machine itself is still perfectly functional and I have no reason to replace it.
    11-04-16 06:26 PM
    USB C is the successor to the microUSB, these days many companies r applying it to their phones including BB.
    11-16-16 05:57 AM
    I'm happy to defer to the battery experts out there, since it doesn't make sense to me either. A wide number of reputable sources say don't charge overnight, if for no other reason that to keep the battery in its optimal 40-80% range. I seems they do best when in that range, not constantly being taken to extremes - like charging to 100% every night and draining down to 5% before plugging in.
    what the hell?! What is this based on? extremes? You mean full range of engineered capacity? is this just your opinion?

I've always acted under the assumption (agreed upon by many others) that it is BEST to fully discharge, and fully charge, avoiding partial charges whenever possible. But yes, avoiding discharging (using the phone extensively) while it is charging should be avoided.
    11-16-16 06:47 AM
    It took me by surprise too, since I've done what you do. Then when I started getting curious about newer phones several months ago, I started running across articles about the "new generation" of batteries, and how we should keep them in the middle of the range, charge often rather than fully drain then fully charge. Google the topic, I'll only post one since everyone will have their opinion about what a "reliable source" is (How to Keep Your Phone's Battery Healthy).

The posters here, tickerguy and others, really nail it with real-world explanations, though. The batteries still have a certain number of cycles, whether we use half or a full cycle when we charge. And most of us don't keep a phone more than 2-3 years anyway, so if the battery starts to lose capacity near the end of that, it's not a huge deal for us.

Bottom line, for me, I plan to continue plugging in my phone at night so it's at 100% when I wake up. At some point in the day, my phone gets down to 15-20%, and I plug in. Depending on how long I stay put in one place, or what else I have going on, it will have enough time to charge back up to 40-80%. With QC3, I won't have to wait as long, so I expect I'll be back to 100% and then use it til bed and then start all over. I can't care about finding a charger when my phone is at 40%, monitor it til 80%, then unplug again. Who has time for that?
    11-16-16 11:25 AM
    I LOVE the fast charging. Why would anyone balk at that? It is an advance, an improvement.
    11-16-16 01:25 PM
    Why the high pixel count LCD? Why can't we use the ones from the 7900s(trackwheel). Those were glorious large pixels. I want to be able to site there and count the pixels when i have nothing else better to do.
    11-16-16 01:36 PM
    Because file transfers won't take 3000 years over USB 3.
    This a point I am confused about. On BlackBerry 's website after they mention the type -C USB connection they state
    "USB 2.0 fully supported with standard USB Type C to USB Type A cable (included in box) ". Does this just mean with a different cable you can leverage USB 3 transfer rates?
    11-17-16 10:25 AM
    No. But more to the point there are few cards that are materially faster than USB 2.0's 480Mbps on a sustained basis, and none that are for other than large files.
    11-17-16 10:33 AM
    Having owned a One Plus 2 I hated the connector. Yes it was easy to fit either way yet there's no benefit otherwise, I was the odd man out looking around for yet another connector. Everything I have is micro, no use for the C. I'm going to pass on this handset.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Well this way the DTEK60 in a way is future proof
    11-17-16 10:34 AM
    Type C connectors should be materially more durable than the older MicroUSB connectors; that's enough reason for a manufacturer to change IMHO right up front.
    11-17-16 11:05 AM
    what the hell?! What is this based on? extremes? You mean full range of engineered capacity? is this just your opinion?

I've always acted under the assumption (agreed upon by many others) that it is BEST to fully discharge, and fully charge, avoiding partial charges whenever possible. But yes, avoiding discharging (using the phone extensively) while it is charging should be avoided.
    Fully discharging (to cut-off voltage), fully charging, and avoiding partial charges whenever possible applied primarily to nickel-cadmium batteries (and to a lesser extent nickel-metal-hydride) in which case a "memory" effect can take place otherwise. Lithium-ion batteries are more amenable to partial discharges/recharges.
    11-17-16 11:28 AM
46 12