A recent thread outlined a tale of woe from someone dealing with BB after sales warranty company. The poster said next time he'd rather deal with amazon in case of problems. I bought my passport and Playbook directly from BB and never had problems with either so never had to deal with them after. This got me thinking ...the blackberry site says this abouty buying from THEM:

1 year of complimentary support
    30-day money back guarantee
    Free shipping
    Fast security refreshes directly from BlackBerry, including patches, updates and hot fixes
    The freedom and flexibility of an unlocked phone – upgrade when you want, choose from less expensive carrier plans and local roaming packages, and get a higher resale value.

MY questions:
    1 is there any reason not to believe that all those statements are true no matter WHERE i buy the phone?
    2. I notice newegg and amazon have these phones. Amazon from a re-seller called "Breed" and Newegg from Newegg. Why NOT buy from one of them? (I might also save on tax from one)
    3 any other sellers you HAVE dealt with and recommend more highly than BB, Amaz, or Newegg?

I had thought that going direct to the company (BB) made the most sense, especially since the price is the same everywhere...but after that guys tale I am a little reluctant.
    FWIW I live in upstate NY...(usa)

BTW I searched this forum and couldn't find an answer, my apologies if this is a newbie question answered many times
    Last edited by Rick J1; 01-07-17 at 02:37 PM.
    01-07-17 02:06 PM
    I got mine from B&H photo and they shopped it to Germany. I've used them for other computer parts, and have always had great service. Never had to warranty or return an item from them though.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...UvbUpU12723247
    01-07-17 02:27 PM
    I ordered 2 Dtek60's directly from BlackBerry it was a pretty smooth transaction mind you I didn’t have any warranty claims so I can't speak to that.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-17 04:22 PM
    I ordered my Passport and DTEK60 directly from BlackBerry. No issues, but I haven't had to send either for any warranty work at any point. I kind of wish I purchased my Priv directly since I have it on AT&T and would rather have more timely updates on AT&T than HD Voice, VoLTE, etc. as supported on the AT&T model.
    01-07-17 08:28 PM
    The only reason to buy from Amazon over BlackBerry is if you are pretty sure you might want to return your device as they are more accustomed to handling returns it would seem.

Personally, I've never returned any of my devices and I will always buy direct from the manufacturer because it's the only way to be sure of what you are getting. As the other user above has stated, many devices listed as "unlocked" are not the same as factory unlocked and do not receive the updates as promptly. That, to me, is a reason to buy direct from BlackBerry.

The other reason being that it is fair to assume that BlackBerry gets better margins and it's the same as buying your records directly from the band / record label rather than iTunes or Walmart.
    01-07-17 08:34 PM
    Buying from BlackBerry isn't really from BlackBerry. Their online store is run by a third party (digital river). It is true that you get 30 days to return, a factory unlocked device, and fast updates. But heaven help you should there be an issue that requires you to call someone either at digital river for after sales questions or to BlackBerry support for device support. Both are pathetic. Literally pathetic.

It is now crystal ear to me why so many people just buy iPhones. After sales support is easily accessible via an apple store and it is actually good.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-07-17 08:43 PM

It is now crystal ear to me why so many people just buy iPhones. After sales support is easily accessible via an apple store and it is actually good.

Posted via CB10
    You're right about that, having a physical store location is a big reason for Apple dominance.

About BlackBerry Support, their tech support will be the ones dealing with warranty problems. They offer advance RMA with free two way shipping for your device, I know since I had many passports replaced for some weird defects.

Beware on amazon: if the seller isn't amazon Inc, then it is a third party seller and they have their own return policy. Usually the third party has a really crappie policy

Posted via CB10
    01-07-17 08:54 PM
    Buying from BlackBerry isn't really from BlackBerry. Their online store is run by a third party (digital river). It is true that you get 30 days to return, a factory unlocked device, and fast updates. But heaven help you should there be an issue that requires you to call someone either at digital river for after sales questions or to BlackBerry support for device support. Both are pathetic. Literally pathetic.

Posted via CB10
    Apparently, the need or not for after sale help is a crapshoot. I might as well just follow my gut (buy from blackberry/digitaL river )and hope for the best. In spite of all the good, forums are also a place to hear all the nightmare scenarios. I find that problems often get discussed in disproportion to the frequency they actually arise in the product...because they are such a wonderful source of solutions! I'll probably order in the next few days...with my fingers crossed! Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Rick J1; 01-07-17 at 09:52 PM. Reason: edited to move my reply out of quote box...lol
    01-07-17 09:50 PM
    I got my DTek 50 through BB/Digital river. Had to send the first one back. Had no problems getting a refund, and bought the 2nd one. Good communication through email. They were even able to get approval for me to keep the power pack included with the first sale.
    01-08-17 04:42 PM
    Because BlackBerry doesn't sell CDMA devices if you're in the US and use Verizon.
    01-08-17 05:36 PM
    Here is my timeline issues with faulty phone (DTEK60) bought from CrackBerry (Blueshop.ca):

Here are the dates:
    * Nov 11th - Ordered phone
    * Nov 18th - Phone arrived
    * Nov 20th - Contacted Shop CrackBerry
    * Nov 21st - CrackBerry Responded (saying they don't deal with warranty issues and sent me to [email protected])
    * Nov 21st - Contacted BRC with the issue
    * Nov 21st - BRC responded with a form to fill out for the warranty details
    * Nov 21st - Filled out form and sent back
    * Nov 22nd - Received read receipt from BRC
    * Nov 28th - Received shipping instructions and pre-paid shipping label
    * Nov 29th - Shipped package at Staples
    * Dec 7th - Package had not moved as per Purolator online tracking. Called Purolator about package
    * Dec 9th - Purolator confirmed they lost package and are now searching for it
    * Dec 13th - BRC Warrantee say they have the device (magically). Purolator still does not know how it got there as the have no scans of it in transit or arriving (Useless)
    * Dec 16th - Emailed BRC
    * Dec 16th - BRC responds says they will get back to me once they know what is going on with device
    * Dec 16th - Emailed BRC
    * No Response
    * Dec 19th - Emailed BRC
    * No Response
    * Dec 27th - Emailed BRC
    * Dec 28th - Response from BRC. New device being sent out within the next 48hrs
    * Waiting for device to arrive
    * Jan 3rd - Received tracking for my new phone today. Says it should arrive today in Winnipeg. I LIVE IN WHITE ROCK, BC!! Not Winnipeg
    * Jan 3rd - Emailed BRC about the shipping details
    * Jan 4th - BRC said they would look into the shipping
    * Jan 5th - BRC emailed saying they have not sent my phone yet and are now waiting for another shipment of new phones to send me one.

I am not happy with how long this is taking. My last two BlackBerries have been purchased through Amazon and their customer service is amazing! I had a Passport with the screen lift issue and received a new one within 2 days of mentioning the issue to them.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 06:05 PM
    Because BlackBerry doesn't sell CDMA devices if you're in the US and use Verizon.
    ATT
    01-08-17 08:51 PM
    Reason why I didn't get my Dtek60 directly from Blackberry is due to the tax/duties imposed on imported items in our country, Philippines. If it wasn't for that, I'd definitely get it from them.
    Rick J1 likes this.
    01-10-17 05:31 AM
    I purchased from CrackBerry as I thought their bundle was better. However I still haven't received the January update so that is not something I expected and would be one good reason to buy direct from BlackBerry.
    Everywhere else you buy is relying on the manufacturer's warranty anyway so I see no reason to avoid buying direct from BlackBerry.
    01-10-17 06:25 AM
    I purchased from CrackBerry as I thought their bundle was better. However I still haven't received the January update so that is not something I expected and would be one good reason to buy direct from BlackBerry.
    Everywhere else you buy is relying on the manufacturer's warranty anyway so I see no reason to avoid buying direct from BlackBerry.
    My DTEK60 got the January update on the 3rd or 4th. My wife's DTEK60 still hasn't gotten this update. The only difference between my DTEK60 and my wife's is mine is from shopbb and hers is from shopcrackberry.
    Last edited by Centerman66; 01-10-17 at 12:13 PM.
    01-10-17 08:25 AM
    You're right about that, having a physical store location is a big reason for Apple dominance.

About BlackBerry Support, their tech support will be the ones dealing with warranty problems. They offer advance RMA with free two way shipping for your device, I know since I had many passports replaced for some weird defects.

Beware on amazon: if the seller isn't amazon Inc, then it is a third party seller and they have their own return policy. Usually the third party has a really crappie policy

Posted via CB10
    Agree, Blackberry support will offer advance RMA with free shipping. That's a nice to have for sure. They seem to be asleep over there tho, as it took them numerous days to send over the shipping label to me. I had to be on them to get it, otherwise i would still be waiting.

And don't get me started on the oversees shop blackberry call centre. I am not a fan. Nobody there has the authority to do anything, even 'supervisors'. They just run you around in circles reading from their script hoping you get tired and give up with whatever question or complaint you had.
    01-10-17 10:26 AM