Where is security update?
    Is BlackBerry shut down dteks support?
    10-02-18 01:24 PM
    No one knows.... October would have been the expected end of support. I would think they'd roll up the missing updates and issue one more.... but that could just be wishful thinking at this point.

Not sure who... but someone has their hands full with the different issues that OREO has presented to BBMo devices. If BlackBerry is responsible for a portion of this, it could explain their not giving attention to old products. Especially if it affect the two Evolve phones and the KEY2 LE that are suppose to be on sale right now.

I'd probable just right off any future updates, and be pleasantly surprised if they do show up.
    10-02-18 02:00 PM
    Where is security update?
    Is BlackBerry shut down dteks support?
    Google stopped patching Marshmallow in August.

Whether we get one last update, is to be seen.
    10-02-18 02:17 PM

Whether we get one last update, is to be seen.
    When you see flying pigs, and fluffy unicorns then..
    10-02-18 03:46 PM
    Possibly I will not buy a blackberry anymore. This is a bad thing to do. We don't have any support!
    coneng96 likes this.
    10-02-18 09:22 PM
    Possibly I will not buy a blackberry anymore. This is a bad thing to do. We don't have any support!
    As mentioned elsewhere, Marshmallow is no longer being updated by Google. Also, BB that sold you DTEK left the phone business almost two years ago. You can't buy anymore BB from them anyway.
    10-02-18 09:25 PM
    Dtek60 and 50 is available for sell on global.blackberry.com
    10-03-18 12:33 AM
    Dtek60 and 50 is available for sell on global.blackberry.com
    It sends you to amazon, and a used listing.
    10-03-18 12:46 AM
    Blackberry/TCL stopped patching DTEKs in June.
    10-03-18 02:27 AM
    Blackberry/TCL stopped patching DTEKs in June.
    BB left the phone business in 2016. I don’t expect anything from the company and I’m surprised they did what they did.
    10-03-18 06:16 AM
    BB left the phone business in 2016. I don’t expect anything from the company and I’m surprised they did what they did.
    I'm sorta surprised they did what they did... switching to Android, but then pulling out and then licensing out the brand. Not updating the "legacy" Android devices to Nougat made sense for BlackBerry, but not for those wanting to continue with the brand.... specifically with enterprise. Some of which bought into BlackBerry's switch.

I expect they took a long hard look a TCL and weighed the risks of this happening all over again. Which might have contributed to BBMo not really making any headway.

But in the end that's what happens when you buy a product from a company with one foot already out the door. Not sure even Vegas would give you odds on the KEY2 LE seeing all the updates they currently promise.
    10-03-18 07:41 AM
    I'm sorta surprised they did what they did... switching to Android, but then pulling out and then licensing out the brand. Not updating the "legacy" Android devices to Nougat made sense for BlackBerry, but not for those wanting to continue with the brand.... specifically with enterprise. Some of which bought into BlackBerry's switch.

I expect they took a long hard look a TCL and weighed the risks of this happening all over again. Which might have contributed to BBMo not really making any headway.

But in the end that's what happens when you buy a product from a company with one foot already out the door. Not sure even Vegas would give you odds on the KEY2 LE seeing all the updates they currently promise.
    I have a feeling the option to update the DTEK was given, at BBMo/TCL expense, and the sales volume just wasn't enough to pay the cost.
    10-03-18 06:10 PM
    I have a feeling the option to update the DTEK was given, at BBMo/TCL expense, and the sales volume just wasn't enough to pay the cost.

I get that last Sept/Aug when there was talk of TCL taking over support for the DTEKs - even showed up on the BBMo website for a couple of days. At that point it was probable questionable if they should pay for such updates. But in my mind any plans to rebuild the platform should have included an updated the DTEK's back before the KEYone even launched.

Back then Enterprise was still the goal... Shows the lack of commitment (or else understanding) that TCL had for the brand & the market, at the very beginning.
    10-04-18 08:03 AM
    I can’t speak for outside USA. I felt strategy to pursue ALL prospective customers was through carriers. Regardless of size, Enterprise still has to have carrier service. AT&T or VZW is pretty much the Enterprise landscape. I’m not sure what T-Mobile or Sprint has in share but combined, I’d be impressed beyond 20% but feeling it’s probably half that.

DTEK was never offered through carriers in USA so I don’t believe sales or support happened or mattered either way. BB licensing was the way to familiarize an unfamiliar brand and perhaps assuage concerns with origin country regarding geopolitical issues. When two larger peer group OEMs were denied carrier retail shelving, that signaled problems for BBMo/TCL as well. I’m not sure that it mattered after not landing VZW last year at KEYone release, but I’m afraid the landscape is changing and not anything can be done right now.
    10-04-18 10:02 AM
    The information for the Android Security Bulletin for October 2018 has been posted.
    https://source.android.com/security/...018-10-01.html

As expected there is nothing for Android 6.0.1 which was last patched on the August 2018 Android Security Bulletin. Android 6 came out on October 5, 2015.

According to the Android Dashboard in first place is Android Nougat (7) is on 29.3% of devices running Android, Android Marshmallow (6) is in second place on 21.6% of devices, and in third place Android Oreo (8) is at 19.2% as of today.
    https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/
    I would have liked Android 6 to be supported for longer given the share of Android devices running it, but it is what it is.

I would have liked to have seen more than 2 years and 10 months of security patches for Android 6, but it looks like Google is only providing security patches for a given version of Android for just under 3 years. On some level that makes sense because Apple only provides security patches for a given version of iOS for 1 year. Since iOS 12 came out last month iOS 11 stopped getting security patches. With Android as October 2018 Google is providing security patches for Android 7, 8, and 9.

The DTEK60 should have gotten an upgrade to Android 7, but that is another issue.

I have no idea if the DTEK60 is going to get the 2018-08-05 Android Security Bulletin, one can hope, but I am going to start saving up for a new smartphone and start looking for a replacement for my DTEK60. Asides from the abysmal battery life (I charge 2 to 3 times a day; thank God for Quick Charge 2) and below average camera I have actually been very satisfied with my DTEK60 experience. Hopefully BlackBerry Mobile will come out with an all-touch device soon.
    asiayeah likes this.
    10-04-18 01:37 PM
    BB left the phone hardware business.
    BB is still in the phone software business.
    After all we're talking about software updates/upgrades here.

And TCL who overtook responsibility for the DTEKs still is in the hardware business.
    HughJarsse likes this.
    10-06-18 02:41 AM
    BB left the phone hardware business.
    BB is still in the phone software business.
    After all we're talking about software updates/upgrades here.

And TCL who overtook responsibility for the DTEKs still is in the hardware business.
    Again, someone who has actually hit the nail on the head.... yet there are STILL those on here that cannot accept this..there will be the inevitable 'reasons' (aka 'excuses') because they cannot accept that BB would EVER, EVER do anything wrong!!

TReat customers like cannon fodder, and they will go elsewhere...at your expense...
    And there are those who try to defend this strategy too!!

BB has lost too many customers, because of its treatment of them....and they wonder why they are struggling to sell phones that they repeatedly 'ditch' and just expect you to shell out for a new one...

As dunt, dunt, dunt has said earlier in this post (11)...'Vegas wouldn't give you odds on the Key2 LE getting the whole 3 years updates' is probably far nearer the truth than you think!!
    10-06-18 06:11 AM
    Again, someone who has actually hit the nail on the head.... yet there are STILL those on here that cannot accept this..there will be the inevitable 'reasons' (aka 'excuses') because they cannot accept that BB would EVER, EVER do anything wrong!!

TReat customers like cannon fodder, and they will go elsewhere...at your expense...
    And there are those who try to defend this strategy too!!

BB has lost too many customers, because of its treatment of them....and they wonder why they are struggling to sell phones that they repeatedly 'ditch' and just expect you to shell out for a new one...

As dunt, dunt, dunt has said earlier in this post (11)...'Vegas wouldn't give you odds on the Key2 LE getting the whole 3 years updates' is probably far nearer the truth than you think!!
    It’s not a question of BB or BBMo doing anything right or wrong. BB lost all it’s phone customers when it left the hardware business. Period... It left the business and was required to follow a set of legal requirements to last of those customers.

BBMo licensed the name in hopes of earning the business of some of those former customers. Since BBMo is a different company, it doesn’t own the goodwill of BB. Then, BBMo didn’t buy and incorporate BB or it’s employees into BBMo so it has to earn the business of any prospective customer from scratch.

The business decision is simply that it’s cheaper and easier to earn the business of new PKB customers whether or not they’ve ever owned BB PKB devices. The VKB devices are more difficult to differentiate. Going after that business is lower volume. The DTEK customers aren’t worth going after.
    10-06-18 08:54 AM
    The information for the Android Security Bulletin for October 2018 has been posted.
    https://source.android.com/security/...018-10-01.html

As expected there is nothing for Android 6.0.1 which was last patched on the August 2018 Android Security Bulletin. Android 6 came out on October 5, 2015.

According to the Android Dashboard in first place is Android Nougat (7) is on 29.3% of devices running Android, Android Marshmallow (6) is in second place on 21.6% of devices, and in third place Android Oreo (8) is at 19.2% as of today.
    https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/
    I would have liked Android 6 to be supported for longer given the share of Android devices running it, but it is what it is.

I would have liked to have seen more than 2 years and 10 months of security patches for Android 6, but it looks like Google is only providing security patches for a given version of Android for just under 3 years. On some level that makes sense because Apple only provides security patches for a given version of iOS for 1 year. Since iOS 12 came out last month iOS 11 stopped getting security patches. With Android as October 2018 Google is providing security patches for Android 7, 8, and 9.

The DTEK60 should have gotten an upgrade to Android 7, but that is another issue.

I have no idea if the DTEK60 is going to get the 2018-08-05 Android Security Bulletin, one can hope, but I am going to start saving up for a new smartphone and start looking for a replacement for my DTEK60. Asides from the abysmal battery life (I charge 2 to 3 times a day; thank God for Quick Charge 2) and below average camera I have actually been very satisfied with my DTEK60 experience. Hopefully BlackBerry Mobile will come out with an all-touch device soon.
    A family member has a DTEK60 and she gets excellent photos with hers. So I am surprised that you don't think the camera is so great. She does say the battery life isn't so great now. It was pretty good when it was new.
    10-09-18 03:06 AM
    Other than battery issues, my DTEK60 has been great. Camera takes GREAT pictures. Don't confuse camera quality with screen. Wait until you want to print enlargements. Is there a smartphone camera with a better lens than DK60 21MP?
    10-15-18 02:09 PM
    Just got an August 5, 2018 security update on my DTEK60.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    10-16-18 01:10 PM
    Just got an August 5, 2018 security update on my DTEK60.
    What's the new build?
    10-16-18 02:29 PM
    What's the new build?
    Attached Thumbnails Where is update for DTEK60?-screenshot_20181016-153129.jpg  
    Jake2826 likes this.
    10-16-18 02:34 PM
    I'm still stuck on the Nov 2017 built. I can't update and the work around doesn't work for me. I can't deactivate "Find my Phone", even if I unistall the app.
    12-24-18 09:39 AM